Modifying Transom from VP290 Cutout to SX/DP-SM

Hi Everyone,
I purchased a 1990 Marlin Chinook fishing boat last fall. It has a 4.3 with a cracked block, and a nice DP-A CD trim 2.30 drive. While I was deciding what to do to repair the engine, a package came up on C-list with a VP 5.0Gi PWTR/SX-M Shield/DP-SM drive. I have a set of D4 props. This package was removed to bracket a 24 Seasport for an outboard. The engine runs well, and checked out mechanically. The drive/shield are both in decent shape, and not corroded. The person I bought it from did a nice job of marking the wires etc as well, which I take as a good sign. No doubt everything needs to be gone through while out of the boat but it seems to be well worth the $4K that I paid for it.

The cutout in the transom for the VP290 transom shield is considerably larger than the cutout needed for the SX-M shield. There is an adapter plate available for $800-1000, but there is also the issue of transom condition. While it is solid, and there is no movement when jacking on the drive, the only way to tell is to remove the transom shield. The 5.0 is going in the boat for sure. I have to decide what to do with the drive.

Here is what I have been considering:
1) Keep the DP-A drive/transom and purchase a 1.95 lower ($2K). Will probably have to re-prop ($600). Many consider the Aquamatic drives superior to the later drives. Disadvantage: drive is obsolete as far as VP is concerned.

2) If the transom is magically sound, use an adapter plate ($900) and mount up the DP-SM setup. Advantage: easiest way to get on the water.

3) Glass up the transom. Advantage: repowering boat in the future would be easy with either VP, or Merc with small modifications. When I called up VP, the first thing that came out of the reps mouth was that what I had was obsolete. He suggested I repower with a package that would have cost around $20K.

I have been looking at some write-ups of transom repair, and am not sure if removing the entire transom core is necessary to do this job. Is it possible to splice in Coosa board to the transom core to fill the hole? Removing the deck to get to the entire transom is not a job that you do unless absolutely necessary. Doing it from the outside will not be an option either. There are a couple of people here who are probably experts in doing this job. I am not about re-inventing the wheel, and am looking for the best way to a quality outcome.

I am optimistic about the quality of the glasswork on this boat. The stringers are a beefy hat section, not glassed over 3/4 ply. The engine mounts/stringers are made from roving, and covered with a thick layer of gel coat as is the transom. There is no chopper gun/mat that I can see just waiting to soak up water. Of course all it takes is a couple of poorly sealed swim platform bolts to do in a transom.

My first project is to get my Arima ready to sell this spring. In the mean time, I would like to get my ducks in a row with the Chinook. Any opinions welcome!
Cheers,
Doug

Bondo

Staff member
I have been looking at some write-ups of transom repair, and am not sure if removing the entire transom core is necessary to do this job.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... 1st order of business is to gut the current driveline, 'n inspect the condition of the transom,.....
The amount of rot found, determines how much of the transom gets replaced,....

Once the transom is inspected, you can decide whether to go with option #2, or option #3,.....

If it's Solid,... Yes, just the hole can be filled, 'n recut smaller,...
I'm in the midst of a Stringer conversion just like that now,....
A Solid transom, 'n just fillin' the hole,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
On a 1990 boat, doubt the transom is solid. If your test drills show the wood is dry and rot free, get the adapter and go boating.

If the test drills show signs of moisture and rot....then tear out the transom and rebuild

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... 1st order of business is to gut the current driveline, 'n inspect the condition of the transom,.....
The amount of rot found, determines how much of the transom gets replaced,....

Once the transom is inspected, you can decide whether to go with option #2, or option #3,.....

If it's Solid,... Yes, just the hole can be filled, 'n recut smaller,...
I'm in the midst of a Stringer conversion just like that now,....
A Solid transom, 'n just fillin' the hole,....

Thanks Bondo!

That is the direction I have been leaning.
I think that going to the modern cutout makes the most sense.
On a practical note, the reason that VP went from the "suspension" transom shield to a gimbal like OMC/Merc was to give manufacturers an option on powerplants. I would like to be able to use the VP transom shield now, but have the option to use a Merc drive in the future. Is this possible to do? I was looking at the Frisco Boater Vlog, and he cut a relief on the cutout when installing the Merc transom shield.

I was looking to see if you had a thread about your current project and saw that you live in a beautiful part of the world. We vacationed on Grindstone Island several years.
Cheers,
Doug

Bondo

Staff member
I would like to be able to use the VP transom shield now, but have the option to use a Merc drive in the future.

Ayuh,..... If ya go to the industry standard 8 bolt transom keyhole, the Merc will bolt right onto the transom hole, just as the new style Volvo, 'n OMC, just before they went outa business a couple decades ago,....

That's why the hole is known as the Industry Standard keyhole,...

I want to go to the "new" standard. I was just wondering if in reality there was some difference. The devil is in the details and that sort of thing. So, I need to cut out the transom core so that there is 6 inches of bare glass to repair the outer hull, and then scarf in the core repair? Repair the inner glass, maintain a 2 inch total thickness, and cut out the new hole. I plan on using Coosa Bluewater 20 board so that I do not have to worry about water intrusion. Hopefully, VP will have templates for the cutouts/fastener holes available.
Thanks again,
Doug
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Bondo

Staff member
maintain a 2 inch total thickness, and cut out the new hole.

Ayuh,..... Each hull is different, even when sister hulls sometimes,....

The 2" to 2, 1/4", true, 'n level is Important,....

I use the outer side skin piece keyholes from junked out hulls I come across for patternin' the new holes,...
To keep the drilled holes square to the transom, I use a kinda drill-press adapter on my cordless drill motor, though have done 'em by eye, with very good success,...
but there are paper patterns, 'n drillin' jigs out there,....

How far back ya cut, 'n grind, depends on what ya find,....
Ya just build back with composite wood, 'n resins/ glues to get to flat surfaces to drill through,....

The current transom I'm doin' is a real odd-ball, that's 2" thick at the top, 'n 3, 1/2" thick at the bottom,.....
Gotta build a router bridge to mill it flat, 'n parallel to the outside transom,.... :rolleyes:
I filled the ole OMC hole with acx plywood, mdo, an outer skin of a fiberglass hull, 'n epoxy resin mixes,....
It's at the 2" thick, cut out, 'n drilled,..... just gotta mill out where the inner transom plate bears,...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Wow, Bondo! You should post some pics of this transom Build!!! Sounds like a LOT of skill and ingenuity is going into it and we could ALL learn from your work!!!