front engine mount glassed on floor how too remove ?

alan ber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 21 ft 1984 walk around cuddy fisherman sea ray ,
4 cylinder mercruiswer IO
Removing engine for swap discovered soft areas in transom .
1984 , transom work common
planning on cutting transom too possibly keep boat ? Not sure if I want too tackle but returning from a
CL transom guy , ( shade tree guys on CL a concern ) guy wanted $ 2600 on a boat not worth more then
4 thousand . owing 20 years , attached , nice fishing boat. Hate too part it out since I have a almost new 3.7
mercruiser with 19 hours, VG road worthy trailer , and clean hull . .
My question is regarding the front motor mount , never asked the transom guy .
Rear of engine supported by the transom gimbal plate , front of engine is supported by a piece of wood glassed over
Wood is rotted and must be replaced
Is it held in place with epoxy ?
One would think this engine mount would be mounted too a stringer . No stringer in engine room .
Goes port too starboard .
Do I chisel away like the transom and when all is gone smooth out best I can ?
On my other boat in engine room both engines have brackets drilled into stringer and motor mount bolted too bracket

THOUGHTS
Thanks as usual

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would start reading the restoration threads.

measure the location and height, cut out the bad, grind back to good glass, build new wood mount, secure with PB, tab and glass into place.

however if the transom and the motor mount are bad on your 34 year old boat, good chances are the foam is saturated and all the stringers and floor are bad too

alldodge

Staff member
While there are a few here which have the 3.7 (470) it would not be a motor many would want for the long run. Good motors but little parts support

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I too believe you have a lot more issues with that boat than just a transom and a motor mount. I HIGHLY recommend a much more thorough investigation as to the condition of the underdeck substructure.