Transom rebuild Haines Hunter

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
g'day all,
Its been a while since my last post as my boat has been dry for 2 years with a rotten transom. Time to bite the bullet.
Rot seems to be on top half and was going to try and dig down to good wood and do a partial replacement. Then put plate on rear for extra strength. Will be asking for advice in near future.

Attachments

• photo283168.jpg
    photo283168.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo283169.jpg
    photo283169.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would replace all the wood in the transom as they normally rot from the bottom up. they also take the stringers and bulkheads with them (everything below the deck).

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I did a small test cut from the top and it's like paper up high on the side and gradually gets better (not much) as you get lower. The tap test suggests it's fairly solid around half way down.
Won't allow pic . Said file too big. Will try and post later

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The tap test suggests it's fairly solid around half way down.

the "Tap Test" is supper unreliable. chuck up a 3/8" drill bit in the cordless drill. tape off a mark 1" from the tip. get into the bilge and drill a series of holes 2" above the bottom of the hull, about 6" apart.

if the shavings are light-colored and dry, you have good wood. if the shavings are dark, wet and smell like rotten leaves, get out the tools of destruction, uncap the hull, cut out the floor, stringers, and transom and rebuild it.

as for photos, read the tutorial. youre photo needs to be below 700kb (reduce in size to 25%)

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
G'day all,
OK it's been 2 months and 2 of my nephews were available for a bit of demolition work. So after removing all transom attachments etc I started cutting the back off transom. Could not believe this transom was supporting a V6 Merc at full thrust. The wood on top sides was paper. The wood down middle and bottom was much better and solid in places.

Attachments

• photo285912.jpg
    photo285912.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo285913.jpg
    photo285913.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • photo285914.jpg
    photo285914.jpg
  • photo285915.jpg
    photo285915.jpg

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
if stringers dead end into the transom i am willing to wager they are shot as well

cup of Joe

Seaman
looks like you cut the transom outer skin out with the wood?
I was afraid to do that on my 89 Rienell, I set the saw just the thickness of the wood and left the outer gelcoat skin alone.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry to ask a newbie question, but every other resto or transom repair I've seen (so far) has been from the inside.
Was this one done from the outside due to the size of the cap or something?

If the answer is too in depth, I'll certainly be willing to start a new thread with the question.
Was just curious..

Going to follow along in any case, as this is how I'm learning things.. :D

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's been cut from the outside leaving the option of re using outer skin with bevel layup. Or re fibreglass outer skin to a beveled outer lip.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
AHHH, Ok...
Thanks!!

Love the looks of your boat by the way! Looking forward to watching the progress and seeing the end results! :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It would have been better if you'd left about 4-5" of the old skin to tab to on the go back but it'll probably be ok. Just make sure to bevel deep and use plenty of thickened epoxy to put it all together again. If you tape over all the holes in the old skin the Thickened epoxy will fill the voids when you clamp it back together.