Understanding a sink on my open bow

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can someone please explain to me how a sink usually works on an open bow ski boat? I just bought a 1995 Century Arabian 24 that has a small sink in the center of the boat. The faucet is junk and will need to be replaced, and it looks like most of the hoses are underneath. I am not sure if there is a pump missing or even what kind of faucet i need to replace it with. From what I can tell, there is no hot water, and the drain just goes out of the side of the boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you should have a tank with a pump with an automatic pressure switch. the faucet simply opens and closes, the drop in pressure brings the pump on.

not sure why a ski boat would have a sink on it, however simply google marine water systems and you can get all sorts of information.

regarding your faucet, should be a name and part number on the mounting plate somewhere

alldodge

Staff member
Sink on a ski boat is a new one for me.

Only thing that comes to mind is if the boat came with a camper top, stove and port-a-pot. My Rinker which is a cuddy came with all those and according to tax laws I could write the interest off as a second home. The stove was a small butane type, and the port-a-pot was under the forward center cushion.

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry for my wording, i always considered a ski boat as just the style of an open bow, but now that I think about it, when I looked up the specs it was listed as a bow rider. There is a small water tank, maybe 5 gallons or so, and some hoses, for fill/drain, but I do not see any wiring or a pump. I havent looked at the faucet that close to see any numbers, the boat came from salt water and it is pretty ate up from the salt.

I know it is kind of hard to understand what i'm talking about with any pics, but the boat is in a storage building away from my house. When I get some time (and warmer weather) I will take a better look.

chevymaher

Commander
Sorry for my wording, i always considered a ski boat as just the style of an open bow,
LOL i think we are splitting hairs here. Looks like a skii boat has a skii pylon. Just a bit bigger and has some nicer options. But if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

This is the best picture i could find of the sink online. In the bow hallway on the starboard side. I liked the fact a toilet was a option on them to. That would be handy if your out a long time.

Attachments

• photo283128.jpg
    photo283128.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0

tpothen

Seaman Apprentice
If it's the same faucet as the one in the pic above then it's probably a hand pump faucet.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
ski boats have a very specific hull with almost no dead-rise (flat bottom), keel fins, center mounted engines with V-drives and rudders. directly mid-ship is the ski pylon. they are purpose-built boats, do not like rough water and are only good for skiing. Ski-Nautique, Malibu and Correct craft are some of the premier ski boat manufacturers

a bow rider is a general purpose run-about meant for day-cruising and can be used for water sports. they generally have a decent dead-rise, can be taken out in most weather. these are almost always I/O powered, however there are beginning to be more and more smaller outboard powered bow-riders. larger bow-riders often have luxury items such as sinks and heads

chevymaher

Commander
I was aware of the skii boat differences for pro skiing. My uncle has a supra. But in general boats like mine and his looks alot like it. Are called skii boats when sold. I believe it is fish and skii runabout is the way mine was advertised.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
If it's the same faucet as the one in the pic above then it's probably a hand pump faucet.

Very well could be a hand pump - no wires or electric pump. You'll know when you look closer at it - and post pics here for more help

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the info, I will post pics this weekend if I can. It looks exactly like the one pictured above (my boat also has the porta potty across from the sink area) I didnt think about a hand pump, but that could be it since I didn't see any wiring or a pump.

What really surprised me is, my dad acquired the boat about 7-8 years ago (the sink was never working.) While working on the boat the other night I noticed the plastic water tank under the console was still about 75% full of water from when he got the boat. He never winterized the engine and after 2-3 years here in KY just about everything on the engine cracked (block, manifolds, intake, water pump, etc) and had to be replaced. But I noticed the water tank was still holding water, which really surprised me!

And thanks for clearing things up for a ski boat and run about, I just called it a ski boat because we would ski (or at least attempt to!) and tube behind this boat.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the plastic water tank would expand as needed....... the cast-iron block, heads, manifolds, etc of the motor dont...they just crack.

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry its been a while since i was able to upload any pictures. I havent been working on the boat much lately. But here are a couple pictures of the faucet I am needing, and a picture of the tank/plumbing setup in the boat. I couldn't find any part numbers on the faucet.

Attachments

• photo284849.jpg
    photo284849.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo284850.jpg
    photo284850.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 0
  • photo284851.jpg
    photo284851.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 0