1995 Larson 214 LXI... Floor and stringers

TRH299

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought a 1995 Larson 214 LXI from an old college friend's parents this summer. They were the original owners and in their late 70's, were no longer using the boat that much. When I showed up to buy it, I quickly realized it was going to need some floor work eventually. Starboard captain's chair mount and floor directly behind it was soft. Other than that the rest of boat was pretty nice. About 400 hours total time. 5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 2. Have not had a boat for over 20 years, but with young grandkids, it seemed like it would be fun to use when they came to visit.

Have read a bunch of posts here relating to floors and stringers..... Decided to post my endeavour here.
lkjames20171.jpg

Last edited:

TRH299

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tried to post some pictures but am guessing I need to post a few times before being able to. Pulled the interior this past weekend and got the fuel cover off tonight. Starboard stringer is toast.... Other side "might" be ok. Gotta get the fuel tank drained and removed to get a better look.

Yea it's always easy to tear it up. But don't get discouraged. I 've replaced plenty of floors etc. And don't cut corners

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I?m following along and interested to see how it progresses. Don?t be shy about posting pictures; we love pictures here!

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, pictures are very helpful to see what you are seeing. Boats tend to rot from the keel upward. So, a soft floor is usually the final stage of the disease. There are a couple of Larson boats currently 'under the saw' on this forum and many have come before you. So, there should be lots of threads of same/similar boats for you to view and help guide your way.

TRH299

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

photo281565.jpgA few pictures... Boat came on an Eagle bunk trailer. It had severe frame rot, so I picked up a used Shorelandr. Used the pond to switch trailers. Pic on new trailer was before I lowered the side bunks. Starboard floor under and behind drivers seat is soft.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 12
  • photo281566.jpg
    photo281566.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 12
  • photo281567.jpg
    photo281567.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

TRH299

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

A couple pics showing the interior removed and the fuel tank cover removed. Last week I took the two rear seat cushions to a local upholstery shop. Hopefully they will get to them before spring. Wife's birthday tonight so I will likely not get the tank out until this weekend. Thus far I can see the lower section in the middle of the right stringer along with the stringer to hull tabbing is toast. The good news is that the rear bulkhead at the front of the bilge is solid and dry.

Attachments

• photo281568.jpg
    photo281568.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 20
  • photo281569.jpg
    photo281569.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 20
  • photo281570.jpg
    photo281570.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 21
  • photo281571.jpg
    photo281571.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 21

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Tim, have you checked the transom yet? If your boat has the transom-mounted ladder (2 bolts on each side of the ladder, mounted under the water line), look very carefully inside the boat around those holes. It's a really good candidate for water intrusion into the transom core. I've corresponded with a few Larson owners with that ladder design, and several of us had substantial rot that started around the ladder mount. In my case, it took out a good bit of the transom core all the way over to the keyhole. Until I took off the carpeted panels at the rear of the engine compartment, I couldn't see any of it.

Hope yours dodged that particular bullet!

Jim

TRH299

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Jim,

Mine has the dedicated bosses for the swim ladder.... They do not pass through the transom like your newer Larson. With the rear panels removed one can see the screws coming through above the transom.

I have not drilled the transom yet but like most... I am keeping my fingers crossed. Once I get the stringers and bulkheads assessed, I will then assess the transom.
ladder.jpg

TRH299

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did a little project a few weeks ago to deal with my loose rub rails. I ended up temporarily removing the stiff vinyl strip using a heat gun. I found many of the 100 or so #10 x 1" lg SS screws loose and on this boat they apparently are all that attaches the cap to the hull. After reading a bit on new rub rail installation guides from Taco, I decided to simply drill and install new screws between existing ones. After removing sealant bead above and below rail base, I tightened existing screws where able. Next I clearance drilled the rail base then pilot drilled the hull. I then installed about 100 new SS screws (purchased from local Fastenal) with a bit of PL construction adhesive in each hole. Next I removed all the old screws and gooped up the screws and holes with PL. I re-installed all the the original screws being careful not to over turn the previously stripped ones. While I contemplated replacing the old vinyl rail, instead I Used acetone and 0000 steel wool to clean it up and then with help from my wife and a heat gun, I reinstalled the old stiff rail using a homemade spatula type tool and a rubber mallet. It was not fun.

rub1.jpg

rub2.jpg

Rail going back in
rub3.jpg

TRH299

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to drain my nearly full 46 gallon fuel tank.... Hooked up black plastic tubing to the outlet and snake it down and out the bilge drain plug hole. I cant get a siphon going although I can draw out fuel with a small hand pump. Any ideas on how to drain tank via siphon as I do not own a powered transfer pump?20171201_213726.jpg20171201_213841.jpg

chevymaher

Commander
The normal outlet to the carb has a spring and ball as a check valve. To keep gas from running back into the tank when it is not running. At least on mine it kept me from siphoning just as your showing. I had to open the vent tube and i siphoned it from there.

tpenfield

Staff member
Hand pump is probably going to be the way to drain the fuel. As sated, the check valve makes siphoning pretty much impossible.

I pumped about 45 gallons out of my 160 gallon tank at the end of the season this year . . . it took a couple of hours and a couple of beers. :)

Make sure the cars need gas, so you have a place to off-load the fuel. :thumb:

When I removed the tank from my boat, I placed it outside in an upside down position, so that the fumes would naturally purge from the tank as much as possible.

TRH299

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys.... This morning I got all the fuel lines disconnected and am going to siphon from the large inlet opening. Don't think I have enough beer to use my hand pump. :)

TRH299

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Found a clean 55 gallon drum..... Much easier than multiple 5 gallon cans! Shop stinks to high heaven. Turned off the heater until I am done playing with gasoline.
20171202_104736.jpg

TRH299

Petty Officer 2nd Class
20171202_125331.jpg20171202_125436.jpgTank is out! Starboard stringer is definitely junk. Need to clean this filthy tank well out before I do anything else.