1993 Chaparral Gemini 190: Chronicles of a New Boat Owner (Deck Rebuild) [SPLASHED June 2018]

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just figured I'd make a small update. This week I'm finishing up all the stringers as far as taking them down to 1" below string level. I'll also be rounding off all the tops of the bulkheads and stringers, as well as gluing the transom pieces together tomorrow morning. Tomorrow night I'm heading down to Charleston to pick up my order Thursday morning, then Saturday morning I'll be testing out the resin before we glass the transom/put in the transom, and glue the stringers in on Sunday. Should be a pretty eventful weekend :D

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
It certainly is Rem lol, my wife helped as I finished getting the stringers to height this morning. After that we set the transom on some stone tiles so I could clamp the edges, applied 2 tubes of PL and spread evenly with a concrete edger, then laid a total of 14 blocks on top of it with 5 clamps around the edges. Let me just mention how much I hate working with PL, that stuff slips and slides everywhere. Knowing the transom wasn’t perfectly shaped to begin with it’s not a big deal as I’ll just sand it down Friday once it cures. I was able to angle the boat to where it BARELY fits in the garage, so with highs in the 70s this weekend it’s time to play mad scientist and start working with the resin.

tpenfield

Staff member
I don't use PL . . . rather use resin and some CSM to stick layers of wood together

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
tite-bond III works to glue layers together too. its the same water-proof glue between the laminations of the plywood

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought about trying TBIII, but by the time I had seen people using it I had already purchased 12 tubes of PL and had them sitting in my garage for 2 months lol. It’s not horrible and I’m sure it’s all just as effective, just the initial application is a little difficult to work with on the PL. As far as gluing the transom to the boat I’ll be using peanut butter, but to save cash I’m bedding the stringers and bulkheads in PL.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Justbe sure to give the PL ptenty of time to cure and off gas; at least 72 hours, preferably more.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Long morning of grinding. Finished grinding the lip out and the wood up by the U bolt, only to find a puddle of water near the transom halfway through. I started looking around for where it could be coming from (the whole boat was snow white at this point), and started grinding below the ladder... sure enough water started POURING out. Which means I'll most likely have to replace a total of 4 more pieces and glass those in. Pics to come later.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
IMG_2857.JPGIMG_2855.JPGIMG_2856.JPG

The second picture is the panel I've already removed, but I'm skeptical of the other 3 remaining wood panels.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went and picked some of this up at Home Depot this morning to put along the bottoms of the bulkheads and stringers. It was only 3.90$ a roll and comes in 17 foot strips with an adhesive backing. I wanted to use 1/4" styrofoam sheeting but I couldn't find any there, and I honestly didn't want to deal with the mess of cutting 4x8 1/2" sheets into 1/4" pieces lol.
black-frost-king-foam-tapes-r734h-64_1000.jpg

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
The "cured" product. Most of this will be sanded in the morning but man, much rougher than I expected working with the fiberglass. IMG_2865.JPGIMG_2868.JPGIMG_2869.JPGIMG_2867.JPGIMG_2866.JPGIMG_2863.JPG

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
good practice . also can use poly plastic to wrap around parts to get it smoother, i found beveling edges helps a ton as well.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Micky, so after you resin the fiberglass you just wrap and clamp it? Also, I tried to smooth most of the edges with the belt sander before glassing so I'd have a smoother layup, the corners still remained the problem though lol.

devildogae

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm interested to see the plastic wrap and clamps, that should work well. Can't wait to see final product.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys, devildogae if you check BaylinerChuck's rebuild he has some great pictures in there. I'm going back through it now before I get some more work done, just taking a break now after finishing grinding and giving the boat an acetone bath lol.