1993 Chaparral Gemini 190: Chronicles of a New Boat Owner (Deck Rebuild) [SPLASHED June 2018]

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's what I was worried about, but I was thinking about going back over with another layer of CSM and then grinding it smooth once it's finished. I'll see what else they have I know they have all sorts of fabric weights.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've wanted to work on the boat the last couple days but I ended up coming down with a sinus infection, and we actually got about an inch of snow with temperatures down in the teens. Not exactly something my lungs want to be dealing with at the moment. Good news is I got a good cleaning out of the snow (blew it all out yesterday after it started melting) and can really see that there's a few spots left that need grinding. I'll be pulling the transom hoses this weekend and removing that, as well as picking up plywood sheets early next week.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
1808 would be ideal for all the structural components (Stringers, Transom etc...) You can use it on the deck but would be Overkill IMHO. It WILL take more resin and the Deck WILL be a TANK but it won't hurt anything except your wallet!!! A bit of bleed through from the weave would NOT be a bad thing if you're going to leave it natural. If using carpet, I'd put down a layer of CSM to smooth it a bit. Again more resin and more wallet.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the input Woodonglass !! I'm planning on gel coating the deck then covering it with SeaDek. Honestly I'm open to doing anything on the deck at the moment, but with the fabric all being free I figured I might as well ask about the 1808. I know for a fact the stringers/transom/bulkheads will all be done in 1808, but I may use something less like a 10 or 12 oz weave if I can find enough of the material. When I was in there last week the box of 12oz fabric had somewhere around 15 yards, and they dispose of it every couple of days.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great day working on the boat. My dad came and helped pull the entire transom, then we used string to lay out the stringers/bulkheads. Tomorrow I'll be starting on making the bulkheads/stringers out of the styrofoam sheeting for templates later on this week.

Attachments

• photo283861.jpg
    photo283861.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo283862.jpg
    photo283862.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo283863.jpg
    photo283863.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo283864.png
    photo283864.png
    474.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo283865.jpg
    photo283865.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo283866.jpg
    photo283866.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
You might consult with the folks who make Seadek before you glass the devk. There may be specs for how rough the surface can be for Seadek to adhere properly.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you JASinIL2006 , that's something that was in the back of my mind since the beginning but I hadn't thought about decking with 1808 until just this week.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Catching up on your posts. Your hull and stringer layout is basically the same as the 1990 Chaparral I just finished. I replaced the wood in the keel in my boat with CPVC pipe, peanut butter with chop as the glue, covered in 1708. Doinf this created a non-wood channel to direct water to the bilge between the bulkheads. I would imagine that the wood in the keel with glass over it was a structural feature. I did not like the idea of putting wood back since this low in the boat, it would be the first thing to rot.

That wood in the keel started all the way up in the bow where the bowhook goes through the bow, Again, not wanting to put wood back in this area, I used a block of UHMW polyethylene. This was glassed in with hairy PB, and numerous layers of 1708 for strength. The wood in my Chap's bow eye was completely rotted, and the eye could not be tightened any further.

Chines- All of the chines in these boats have a very thin wood strip in them. That wood strip will be holding water, especially near the transom. Do some exploratory cutting to find them. I had to use a vibrating tool with a metal cut-off blade to get mine out. They were a real PITA. My fear was that if I didn't get these strips out, the water could get to my new transom wood over time, or severely weaken the fiberglass. Again, I did not fill the chines with little wood strips. I simply used hairy PB, and covered the area with some 1708.

You can check out my restoration by clicking the link in my signature. I was there right where you are now, exactly one year ago.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went through your thread about 5 times now Chuck lol, and I think I'll be replacing it with PVC as well now. I saw where the chine strips were and honestly I thought about just leaving them instead of grinding all that fiberglass out. I spoke with SeaDek and they said UNLESS it's extreme, any fiberglass mat should bond well to their material. So what I'll most likely do is a CSM/8-12oz/CSM just to make sure it's relatively smooth. I'll be picking up most of the fiberglass mat this Wednesday and more if needed every week from here on out.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well everyone, it seems like now I’ll be building a floating tank instead of a boat lol. I was able to get 30 yards of 2215 mat today for a heavy discount to do the stringers/transom/bulkheads as well as 20 yards to do the deck. Last thing I have left of mat material is to get either 15 yards of .9 or 1.5oz CSM then get rolling!

Last edited:

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
You’ll see the address in the Hartwell, GA obituaries lol. Going to pick up the plywood this morning, 3 sheets of 1/2” and 3 sheets of 3/4”. Slowly but surely getting the materials ready to go and this weekend my dad will be back to help with our HVAC unit as well as the styrofoam templates. Who knows, we might make it to getting some cuts in on the wood as well :)

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
You're moving at a good pace, I'm looking forward to seeing more good work :thumb:

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks eggs712, I should be able to get a lot more done this weekend as well. At this point my goal is to do all the wood prep work before we get our tax return, then use that to go make the big resin/supply purchase in Charleston. Hoping to be able to move on to glassing within a month.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
The obituary comment had me rolling man!! Anyone that has done one of these hull up restorations know exactly what you're talking about!! Ha ha ha!! :lol: