1977 Sylvan Sea Monster Side Console Rebuild

oldrem

Commander
You're work looks solid and perfectly done. Although the camera date is in a time warp :lol:

Yikes! :eek: Thanks Rob - don't know why it glitches once in awhile like that - reset it now for the next time, hope it behaves.

zool

Captain
At this point, im happy if my resin crusted camera still turns on ;)

The rod work looks great Rem!, must be insanely tedious to wrap all that thread :eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Maybe rem did take those pics in 2023 .. Then run his boat through a time warp back to 2018 !
Or maybe the Sylvan IS a time machine ! :tinfoil3:

oldrem

Commander
The unnerving part - cutting the ends and hope nothing goes wrong with the termination wrap.

Cutting ends.jpg

.... and both ends terminated. One with the take off guide and the other with the hook keeper.

Diamond completed.jpg

After doing this, I know why they suggest you do your first few wraps with a chevron pattern - sure would have been a whole lot easier. But not this stubborn old fart. I had to not only jump in with a diamond, but a double diamond. Next time I'll try a chevron. Should be a bit more calming and takes about 1/4 the time.

Looks something like what I designed at least except for the lousy gray I ordered.

rod pattern 2.JPG

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Wow,
You have some patience Rem! Thanks for taking the time to fix the date on your camera. Time warps a *****.
That is some really neat work you are doing there. Hope it makes the winter days fly by.
KC

chevymaher

Commander
Merry Christmas. You are killing me with the detail on these fishing rods. Don't be fishing next to me I be embarrassed to cast. Looks very nice.

oldrem

Commander
Thanks guys, but not all my wrap tests have been successful. I still can't get a proper tiger wrap to take after numerous tries. The pictures of these actually look better than they do in person :(

brown on brn yel tan.jpggray on mar red met gray.jpgmaroon on mar red met gray.jpgred metallic on mar red met gray.jpgorange on brn yel tan.jpg

I did manage to complete a chevron though for one of the rods I'm gifting.

SC 1.jpgSC 2.jpgSC 3.jpgSC 4.jpgSC 5.jpg

oldrem

Commander
Glad now I didn't get to finish mounting the controls and steering setup for the old '75 Johnson. Just got back from picking up a great running '92 Mercury 40 with T&T (and an '85 35hp). Got a great deal on the pair. Really wanted power tilt, so now I'm set. Just need to sell off a few of my 7 outboards in the Spring.

35 and 40.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks like you even jump up from pre-mix to oil injection there too. :thumb:

oldrem

Commander
Looks like you even jump up from pre-mix to oil injection there too. :thumb:

The PO had issues with the injection system so had it removed. At least it can't malfunction when flying across the lake lol

zool

Captain
Looks like ur getting the chevron down pat Rem!..they look great!

Probably best to just pre-mix those old oil injected outboards.....like u said, the risk is just too much..

oldrem

Commander
The admiral will be a bit angry with me when she gets home to find the old fart took her old washing machine out to the curb by himself. It went belly up last night and I told her it wasn't worth repairing. The new one gets delivered in the morning.

Meanwhile, I'm finally almost done with the 4 rods I did decorative wraps on. The blue and yellow is for my U Mich fan son-in-law.

Did enough practice on the tiger wraps on a scrap blank that I finally felt good about doing two of them on rods.

Last 4 1.jpgLast 4 2.jpgLast 4 4.jpgLast 4 5.jpgLast 4 6.jpgLast 4 7.jpg