1977 Sylvan Sea Monster Side Console Rebuild

oldrem

Commander
Interesting day to say the least.

Did not start on a good note. Got everything hooked up early and got about 2 miles from the house when I noticed the right rear trailer wheel wobbling and before I could pull over I heard a nasty grinding noice. Watched the wheel in my side view mirror riding by itself down the highway. As I pulled over it flew past me and into a field on the other side of the road. Called the admiral to let her know and my buddy who was meeting me at the launch. The admiral drove over to see if she could help and got there the same time as a campus police car (I was in a no parking streach of road). When he saw the problem, he notified the Sheriffs Office so the trailer wouldn't get ticketed or towed.

Unhooked the trailer, drove to the nearest auto store and picked up a new set of lug screws. Then drove home and grabbed my floor jack and impact wrench. One of the threads in the hub ended up stripped so could only secure it with 3. Also noticed after that I apparently bent the axle when it happened since that wheel still wobbles. I'll try my spare on it to make sure that's true, but at least made it to the launch only 45 minutes late.

The launch itself went well. Motor started immediately. I then noticed something really weird. :eek: I wasn't paying attention when I hooked up the steering. Left is right and right is left. Made for an exciting run.

The motor was last on a pontoon boat, so the prop is slightly underpitched for the boat. Got up to 24.8mph but was at 6100 rpms. Backed down to 5350 rpms and cruised at a comfortable 21.8mph.

We cruised around awhile mostly at lower speeds, but when I tried to adjust the trim nothing was moving. I shut it down and could hear the trim motor running constantly. Quickly disconnected the battery and spent the next half hour trying to diagnose the problem only to discover the switch on the throttle was stuck. It now sticks in either up or down, so looks like a new switch is in the works.

Would have posted sooner, but after I got home and unhooked the trailer the admiral said it was time to go out to dinner as I had promised her.

All in all good day in spite of a few glitches. Boat floats, motor runs great and not a single drop of water in the bilge!

Launch 1.jpgLaunch 2.jpgLaunch 3.jpgLaunch 4.jpgLaunch 5.jpg

Had the old GoPro along

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLrxLafVvco&feature=youtu.be

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
We call that working the kinks out ...:lol:
Still with the little snafu’s looks like a successful splash !
Congratulations Rem !!!

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Congratulations! Glad you were able to to make the best of it and hope that you and the misses had a great dinner!

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Minor details! Minor details! Looks like a great time was had by all! Congrats!

Cheers..............................Todd

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah SLPASHED!

Looks great on the water and thanks for the ride along :thumb:

fetch

Yeah shake down cruises are always an adventure for me and most others. So yeah about the steering cable dyslexia it's a common occurrence :lol: been there... twice :facepalm:

oldrem

Commander
My sincere thanks go out to all of you who helped along the way. Lord knows what I would have ended up with had I just tried to do it on my own without advise and so many great ideas. Now I have a boat that will outlast me and probably my children. :)

oldrem

Commander
Had some time tonight, so I got the steering switched back where it should be. Was just glad Sunday I had a lot of experience flying RC where you have to switch your mind to reverse everything when the plane is coming at you.

Pulled off the controls and removed the bad PTT switch. New one will be here in a couple days.

Controls apart.jpg

Also ordered a new axle for the trailer and a Hummingbird HD650 in dash mount depth finder to use when the trolling motor is out of the water.

Ordered a 14P prop as well on a recommendation in the prop section. Hopefully will do the job.

oldrem

Commander
Weekend of a few time consuming things.

First I installed the new remote T&T switch in the controls after work Friday night. Lousy video, but had fun doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWy3HT2edo4&t=275s

After work Saturday I got the Hummingbird depth finder installed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rear Transducer.jpg Views:	1 Size:	40.9 KB ID:	10782123

Today was wiring and tidying up wiring everywhere which meant some rerouting. After contacting Hardline, I found out I could use standard 18 or 20 ga automotive wire to run my little tach further from the motor. They said it would be reliable up to 14ft. Mine was a 12ft 6in run of 18ga to the console. Most of the other small tachs are hardwired so you can't change the length. Hooked up the water and fired the engine to make sure it was working correctly. I put it where I will eventually put either a larger tach or radio.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Console Update.jpg Views:	1 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	10782124

Got the Garmin transducer attached to the trolling motor with the bracket and clamp they furnished in the box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Forward Transducer.jpg Views:	1 Size:	88.3 KB ID:	10782125

After dinner I installed a pair of bow chocks I ordered awhile back. Good thing I had a spare tube of 5200, as my old one was almost like a rock when I went to use it on the transom transducer mount.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bow Chocks.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	10782126

The new axle and wheels for the trailer are due to arrive tomorrow.

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice Video! I was a little worried when you "idled up" and nothing happened, and very relieved when I saw the quick cut to it working!

Very nice additions, as well!

oldrem

Commander
Nice Video! I was a little worried when you "idled up" and nothing happened, and very relieved when I saw the quick cut to it working!

Very nice additions, as well!

Thanks. lol yes there were a few cuts in the editing :faint2::lol:

oldrem

Commander
New axle, wheels and 14p prop arrived today. Pulled the old axle and popped in the new. Didn't stop to think I was going from a square 2,000 lb to a round 3,500 lb (they upgraded me at no cost because the 2k's were backordered). Trailer is just resting on the axle now until I get an upgraded mounting kit tomorrow.

New Axle and wheels 080519.jpg

New prop installed

New 14p Prop 080519.jpg

oldrem

Commander
Got out to try out the new prop and corrected steering today with the admiral. 14p prop dropped max rpms to 5k and increased speed to 29.9mph. Don't need any more speed and hole shot is good. Would there be any advantage to dropping to a 13p in my case?

Tried some fishing for a few hours, but except for my wife catching a 5 in gill, all we got to bite were 3" fingerlings. No one else around us were doing any better.

I did end up in the water once when my favorite frog lure lodged in an overhanging branch. I pulled anchor and reeled us over. Standing on the bow, I tried to pull the branch down to grab it but the motion almost threw me in the drink a couple times.

I forgot I still had the GoPro on my head even though it was off at the time (too bad). The branch managed to knock it off my head and into the lake. I let the branch go and jumped in to save to camera. Water was less than 3ft deep but my shoes and socks were drenched :lol:. Funny thing - the branch sling shotted the lure into the water and the admiral was able to reel it in.

chevymaher

Commander
LOL sounds like my son. He said we were champion fisherman because we (He) caught the most branches ever he said. I got the honors of climbing down to untie him. He is learning tho.

Sounds like you got the right prop. My experience is once you reach the top speed wall. it is begrudgingly adding a couple MPH going bigger but huge losses in take off. It is the happy combo of both you want.

LOL I never do top speed anyway. I get to cruise speed and just relax and take in the sights.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Shame you didn’t have the camera on LOL!
At least you were able to retrieve both !

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Eric,
That's Great! The Fish stories are already coming in!! Wish that go pro was on he he ha ha.