1977 Sylvan Sea Monster Side Console Rebuild

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Moving right along Rem! Getting some rain later today so working on it before it shows up.

oldrem

Commander
Rains never came and ended up sunny and 60's all day. Got more than 6 hours on the boat, but don't feel like I accomplished much. Had to remove the bow plate to get to some bolt heads that were holding the rotted supports. Then I moved on to removing all the remaining bolted on hardware. The nuts and bolts were badly rusted, so had to use the grinder with a cutoff wheel for many of them.

With all the carpet gone, I started to attack the mounds of carpet glue. I'd rather remove old waterlogged foam. So far I've tried Goof Off Professional, MEK and Acetone - all with little or no effect. The heavy stuff (and there's a lot of it) is coming out best using a hammer and putty knife as a chisel, but very slow going and tiring. A 120 grit flap disc works ok where the glue is light, but starts to clog up badly where it's heavy. On the tops of the gunnels I noticed it was weakening the tops of the rivets so I stopped using it there. Even on the inside of the hull I don't like the finished look.

I have some 3" brass cups on order for the grinder that will be here later this week to try. Also considering ordering a pack of 320 grit flap discs.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. I feel like my arms are ready to fall off :)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tear out Day5a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.9 KB ID:	10567995Click image for larger version  Name:	Tear out Day5b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	10567996

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I used a gallon of Klean strip adhesive remover until it was gone and then some Jasco 5 min epoxy and paint remover. No scraping or sanding, I used a pressure washer to blast it off after it got softened up, still took 3 applications to go from this...

y4misAZ2mxqhvJCwKtLeJEokjH-1zjDTQ7j48RwvzAd6YLpod2oKT9LTAQ9QADJGZ1cdpxRREa5Y_1qbIVrH1oEFUzqjzrOkN_RhDJmo_Uc3afJAGtsTehpwdHsIXyAbptwZmADFEkGF0hnvgtsMCPiHvm64S_qmggcPOnnTYkAVWFVz5XpW4LTI_JS6a-7uEt3ODvBiTbQddk7ywGoQW9tcA

To this...

y4mwExjqi5Pslo3GBb9SVIsdT6Z8ibcXm_o6WDatUwllVwX7gGVfWeQ9nRASLXlZh7huF8X9LCO1UsxTvguxtxcWsugKZY_UoCGmooQUvBrjPVNR3qpgAZGZCJ2F_hMcuysiqxwuObHalLN3Ba1-uoO1N_0hHxjirYN0EOgrQgaxgf5uv0Ix8A79_3zP0xxdZN5tLBu6uxz-2V76WDd06orvA

oldrem

Commander
Have I ever mentioned - it sucks to get old? I did pick up a gallon of the Klean Strip Adhesive Remover Watermann suggested, so will be giving that a try for sure.

Late last night I remembered borrowing a friend's oscillating multitool to cut some heavy fiberglass last Fall. It dawned on me I had been so impressed using it that I bought my own and stashed it away to use on the boats this Spring.

Tonight I went at the glue with it using a flexible scraping attachment. Wish I'd thought of it yesterday. It really makes relatively quick work getting rid of the heaviest portion of the old glue and the carpet remnants. That will definitely help reduce the amount of chemicals I'll need to get it looking decent.

On the left is after the multitool - the right hasn't been touched yet.
Tear out Day6.jpg

Watermann

Oh hey that worked out really well, I never thought of that and I have one of those tools too, it sure would've cut down on the remover.

oldrem

Commander
Tonight I finished the starboard side and transom areas with the multi-tool then started on the port side before I ran out of gas around 7:30. Came in to make a salad for dinner and the Admiral informed me the microwave took a dump. Researched while I ate, then headed off to the store to pick up a new one. Been a LONG day.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
they don't make microwaves like they used to , ours went after 2 years, but then i often wonder if it isn't because its over the stove, we had a model on the counter that still works , lol after 20 yrs !

oldrem

Commander
Finished scraping the sidewalls tonight and started sweeping. If I can, tomorrow night I'll finish sweeping, vacuum it and hose it down so I'm not applying stripper to dust. Except for a few globs of glue I found while sweeping, it should be good enough to start with the 'Kleen Strip this weekend.

With less than 3 feet left to scrape, the flexible blade snapped in 3 pieces. Luckily the tool came with a rigid scraper that I used to finish. After using both, I wish I'd tried the rigid first. It works almost twice as fast though it is a little harder to control. The trick was finding the right angle and pressure to avoid gouges.

Watermann ? Did you scrape after applying the Kleen Strip or just use the pressure washer?

Tear out Day7.jpg

Watermann

I used the pressure washer just make sure you do manageable sections then start spraying low when it's ready and work up so the water does't run down onto the glue that turns to snot which for some reasons makes it into glue again and it sticks. Always use PPE, good glasses or goggles with long sleeves and pants, I learned the hard way about wearing shorts, that stuff burns!

oldrem

Commander
Didn't bother with any pics last night - doesn't really look much different after cleaning and hosing down. It did reveal a slow leak up near the bow that Gluvit should take care of.

What does bother me is how slowly water moves from bow to stern. Definitely not enough clearance under the ribs. I'm half tempted to drive a small cold chisel under each of them to make a better passage.

Cold wet weather (40's) today and tomorrow, but should be mid to upper 50's Sunday. Hopefully I can get the old pressure washer running and start removing the remaining glue residue and gunnel paint.

Watermann

A flexible hacksaw blade through the lumber holes while running a shop vac will clear them. My SS doesn't have limber holes ,water has to go up and over. Think they found those hole just get plugged up anyway.

oldrem

Commander
A flexible hacksaw blade through the lumber holes while running a shop vac will clear them. My SS doesn't have limber holes ,water has to go up and over. Think they found those hole just get plugged up anyway.

There aren't any holes on mine either. What water drains after going over the ribs just very slowly drains under the ribs, that's why I was considering wedging a small chisel under the center of each rib to open a channel, but afraid I might damage something. Probably have to live with it as is.