1989-90 bayliner 2159 hardtop.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Micky, they opened up a boat ramp 2.5 miles from my house that is seldom used. its an extra 15 minutes on the water each way to the ICW, however will make boating so much more pleasant.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
My x wife ( current girlfriend ) did part of her residency in miami. The place she had was a studio apartment right on the river with mooring right next to the pool. I think she was paying $500 a month. I was out there every 4-6 weeks. Maybe you can find a gig like that where you rent just the spot on the river......

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Micky, they opened up a boat ramp 2.5 miles from my house that is seldom used. its an extra 15 minutes on the water each way to the ICW, however will make boating so much more pleasant.

Scott it is amazing they have technically 4 ramps in this launch however they could use more parking and better acess, who decides to put a hairpin corner rt next to a 3 ft wide tree for you to get to the ramp , lol ohh btw they finally removed the tree however its still one lane in and out rofl

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
it keeps raining every time i finally go out after it cools off to start working on it, im about to flash ecm with all the changes i made i have 2 and am undecided lol but i dont think i can run o2 sensors so its going to need to be open loop , i will probably go with open loop sd, or maf enhanced but only problem with maf enhancd is id need to find a way to properly plumb in maf and then under the dog house it might not read correctly. what say you Scott!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i got the new ecm program loaded up , i could hear things working so feeling pretty good about that aspect , i went with open loop maf for now since i know maf tuning will keep it from running too rich with it not having o2 sensors

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Me and 3 others at work went In and bought one to share. I played with it a little to familiarize my self with it but have not used it to tune yet. That will be used after the current side job. The one I am on now is a 5.3 ls/ turbo going into a 69 camaro ran on a megasquirt. Hp seems simple enough. Not as many things to fiddle with as what I tune with.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
in advanced mode folks seem to like the depth, i think eflive goes deeper but i wasn't paying that kind of money to tune boat only, this seems to do what i want, so far i have figured out fuel tank sending unit oil pressure so now i have everything i need engine wise going to computer and can be displayed by torque to a computer or tablet or phone, my next trick is adding pid and making it show position of outdrive up down and in middle,
I'm thinking i will use trans temp and make a table for it that works with the resistances of my outdrive indicator.

After that my final hat trick is going to be to see if i can figure out a way to get faria depth finder to read through it , again im assuming depth finder transducer sends signal sends back as resistance to gauge gauge reads resistance as output as does most things but i could be over simplifying, once finished and everything is working and runs i will upload the table here and give explicit instructions making every ones life"on a budget" easier and cheaper then having to use mefi on a swap.

My goal is to have a running ls for boat that in event it blows up i go to junk yard grab another bam im in business, i did get marine starter,alternator and i will use a marine spark arrestor if there is one for these and i think there is a marine approved one since ind mar and crusader and Volvo have been doing this for years.

Downside to this is im not sure you could ever sell the boat since not many would know how to work on it, lol but someone with a scanner could easily diagnose since its basically a truck engine and get you running again np.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Me and 3 others at work went In and bought one to share. I played with it a little to familiarize my self with it but have not used it to tune yet. That will be used after the current side job. The one I am on now is a 5.3 ls/ turbo going into a 69 camaro ran on a megasquirt. Hp seems simple enough. Not as many things to fiddle with as what I tune with.

turbo ls is going to be fun , they seem to love the extra air, nice thing about hp tuners they already have 2 and 3 bar setups premade to get you close with boost if i recall 2 bar is like 14 lbs boost and 3 bar is well exploding the air compressor territory i guess but they do seem to handle it lol :)

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought HP for my '05 Duramax and am pretty pleased with it's capabilities. I really like and am impressed by your ingenuity Mick!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I bought HP for my '05 Duramax and am pretty pleased with it's capabilities. I really like and am impressed by your ingenuity Mick!

man, i was just taking to a friend about using a duramax in a boat:) he has a deadrise workboat but he is a cummings fan if i recall i was saying if i built a deadrise id do a bravo outdrive with Duramax lol

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
in advanced mode folks seem to like the depth, i think eflive goes deeper but i wasn't paying that kind of money to tune boat only, this seems to do what i want, so far i have figured out fuel tank sending unit oil pressure so now i have everything i need engine wise going to computer and can be displayed by torque to a computer or tablet or phone, my next trick is adding pid and making it show position of outdrive up down and in middle,
I'm thinking i will use trans temp and make a table for it that works with the resistances of my outdrive indicator.

After that my final hat trick is going to be to see if i can figure out a way to get faria depth finder to read through it , again im assuming depth finder transducer sends signal sends back as resistance to gauge gauge reads resistance as output as does most things but i could be over simplifying, once finished and everything is working and runs i will upload the table here and give explicit instructions making every ones life"on a budget" easier and cheaper then having to use mefi on a swap.

My goal is to have a running ls for boat that in event it blows up i go to junk yard grab another bam im in business, i did get marine starter,alternator and i will use a marine spark arrestor if there is one for these and i think there is a marine approved one since ind mar and crusader and Volvo have been doing this for years.

Downside to this is im not sure you could ever sell the boat since not many would know how to work on it, lol but someone with a scanner could easily diagnose since its basically a truck engine and get you running again np.

depth finders do not run an an analog signal. they rely on the time delay of the frequency signal coming back, which is then calculated and displayed.

make sure to use a marine circulating pump on your non-marine motor. as truck motors use iron impellers, and marine motors use brass.

the problem with a non-marine motor blowing up, is it sometimes takes the boat with it.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Scott im running closed cooling system so i wont need to worry about marinising that part, i heard early on that these motors wouldn't survive salt due to steel block alum heads so i just went same way the folks who do use them do, and agreed on the blowing a engine part , however after investigating these engines, they don't blow bottom end unless seriously boosted since the 6 bolt low skirt mains , im not spinning above 4500 4k will be most likely be the max rpm i get, my thing is these idle forever without loading up, perfect for trolling at 600-800 rpm :) if my motor goes it will be most likely due to loss of oil pressure or some craziness like that and then instead of rebuilding i will just buy another, or go new if i can afford at that time:)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
depth finders do not run an an analog signal. they rely on the time delay of the frequency signal coming back, which is then calculated and displayed --- i need to find out of the transducer does the calc in it for this one or if transducer is just sending signal back to gauge , i don't think there is much logic in the gauge unit as it seems to just be for displaying where as the transducer is pretty big and could have the converter inside that, i will investigate further while waiting on my exhaust manifolds:)
Scott, thanks i read that today about transducers, mine is using a 200 hertz ping, im looking into if speedo pulse can be modified to read the pulses of the depth finder since works on same principle except the pulses on speedo are higher so there has to be a table for that somewhere the outdrive will work as its resistance just like trans temp sensor or fuel level sensor for secondary tank i could use for that

rmbertoldi

Recruit
Dang Mic! This forum has really made this Northeastern Irish Boys last two days....especially after deciding to jump into my own 88' Bayliner Trophy Hardtop 2459 restoration, also a dream boat for me! I gotta say, I was extremely hesitant until I realized there was a step-by-step manual for the full top-off restoration via the trials and errors of Captain Micky haha! Grateful for all the info and ongoing updates Mic, keep her coming Winter is coming! ;) Ryan