1989-90 bayliner 2159 hardtop.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
fuel injection is quite easy once you got a grasp on it. you will have a base fuel map.it will usually be a big grid with a rpm axis and a air flow axis and depending on throttle position/rpm will give you injector pulse width. from there you get all of your adders. o2 adjustment, air temp adjustment and water temp adjustment. you will have a crank sensor for rpm/tdc.usually a 24 or 36 flag reluctor wheel with one missing tooth to designate tdc. you will also have some form of cam sensor to tell if its on compression stroke.for airflow you will have some combination of the three of these.... throttle position sensor, mapp sensor or mass airflow sensor. i dont know how boats can tell raw o2 because o2 sensors dont like moisture. maybe they are just raw calculations without o2 adjustments. i have never worked on boat efi. not sure how you plan to control efi but there are sever different ways from using stock computer to racing stuff. also an easy way to do fuel to motor is corvette pressure regulated fuel filter.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Froggy, i spent all day today remapping the ecm for what i felt i would need wiring wise, i left the o2 sensor wires but i doubt i will use them because everything i have read has said o2 sensors are pita in marine , i haven't had a chance to really check out the crusader 6.0 to see how they did it but so far I believe I am on the right path i got a ignition protected alternator , starter
Atm trying to sort out placement and get engine in the boat so i can do rest and kind of form fit things, got motor mounts, bellhousing and flywheel sorted so its ready to drop in , my biggest dilemma atm is the shift interrupt , i will have to try a few different things like cutting out 1 cyl to lower the rpm or 2 , i even thought about a ole rev limiter and setting to switch it on to cause misfires every other cyl so they didn't load up, but ill mess with that more later.
i figured i can do open loop on it until i can come up or figure out the o2 situation.
the exaust will be a couple months before i can get what i want :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
O2 sensors are a PITA.... On wet exhaust. PCM, Volvo and Mercruiser use cat exhaust, and the O2 sensor is up stream from where the water mixes

froggy1150

I have 3 different ls swap side jobs in my "que"..... can't tune a drag car...yet but when I did my 71 truck I went with a megasquirt. And I did the diy kit so I had to build it. It also runs a megashift on can bus for communication . The neat thing about it is that 1. It's completely tunable 2. You have extra i/o. You could grab a limit switch input and tell it what you want it to do. I think I spent 300 on ecu kit. If you can't figure out how to stumble the ls coil packs it could be an option.

froggy1150

Also don't forget you will need to make it a marine motor. Brass plugs, cam with no overlap, cast heads and gaskets etc.....

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
no actually you don't need to,because im going with antifreeze closed cooling so really only things that will get salted is the manifolds if i cant include them in the freshwater, id be leery doing a swap like this if i couldn't run closed cooling just because im using the steel block with aluminum heads , next swap down the road will be all aluminum if it ever needs a new one.
cam has 114 degrees overlap from factory since its a truck and most of the power is right where i want it, I didn't want to have to modify a engine to grab horsepower i need and the ls gen 3 seems perfect, it idles great for 8+ hours in my truck"trolling speed" and i don't have to worry about hard starting or breaking aftermarket sub quality parts that are built for speed not longevity.
getting back to the marinising these bocks don't have the type of freeze plugs you are thinking about and they use stainless squish gaskets from factory

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
O2 sensors are a PITA.... On wet exhaust. PCM, Volvo and Mercruiser use cat exhaust, and the O2 sensor is up stream from where the water mixes

any idea how mercruiser does the shift interrupt with ecm engines? maybe they have it coded into the ecm where Im using a 411 ecm

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
still searching for exaust manifolds the crusader style don't seem badly priced but cast iron , Hardin right up the street but wants 1400 for theirs.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
it s sub routing in the ecm that forces the fuel/spark to idle regardless of throttle

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Closed loop cooling. Nevermind all that extra work I wanted to watch you do :eek:

hahahah i get ya , its funny if it was a ls1 i would halfta do all that:) the old iron block/heads first gen exactly like you speak, however i felt gen 3 ,4 are way better engines and sadly the exhaust manifolds are gold or made out of it lol

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
it s sub routing in the ecm that forces the fuel/spark to idle regardless of throttle

probably one line of code, i will have to research further, maybe there is a way to get that code on my ecm... like a fault that causes engine to idle no matter what , i could see that as a safety but will require some digging.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you could switch to a bravo as the cone clutches dont need the shift interupt

or you could kill the power to the coil packs or injectors for a split second (ECM should be pulsing the negative)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Have you checked out EMI or CP performance for LS manifolds?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Yeah on cp but not heard of emi, harden is like a mile from work here in palm coast he has them for around 1400 i havent seen much cheaper anyplace else for aluminum, the logs made for pmc are iron , but nice so i dont know :)

Got engine in boat and aligned finally :)so now the wiring up starts :)