Stumbled upon a project boat

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well I thought I was clean I gave up my tri state scanning of Craigs list for boats for sale by owner. I was doing well without support groups. The other night I stayed up late was stressed out from work and had a few beers I figured what would it hurt to just take a glance at just the local craig's boats for sale by owner, not like I would really consider buying but just a glance, heck the wife was sleeping I could delete it from my history. Well like many others I came across a listing that didn't seem possible who in their right mind would sell a boat for that price, they have no idea what they have. I foolishly responded but did not feel guilty because of the zero chance of actually being the lucky sucker that got the boat for that price. I hate to admit it I kept checking my e-mail all day the next day seeing if there was a response and there was nothing, I was frustrated that I felt that old feeling of not letting a deal get away, again I relapsed and send another message that I can meet any time and am very interested not a tire kicker or lowballer. I felt shame as I analyzed the storage space and spousal explanation but still felt while I flirted with the edge I did not go over that line and bring home another old ratty boat

Last night the seller responded and said he would be at home at 11:00 this morning I beat 25 other guys that responded to the ad with a boat trailer and $100 to score a mid 50's Alumacraft Flying D. Oh sure I relapsed but this FD will hold me over till next spring. I will post of pics later.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Sure is a cool boat! Good luck...Did you get it or not? No Brainer to me.
AlumaCraft-1.jpg

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Got it, I may have to ask you for detailed pics of your seats if you don't mind. It is parked in the shop next to my 1954 Deep C

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well wishing I had one I googles the name you gave and these came up. Pics 50's Alumacraft Flying D.
Check it out...lots of pics there. Oh yea...finish the other boat too!:)

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well I thought I was clean I gave up my tri state scanning of Craigs list for boats for sale by owner. I was doing well without support groups. The other night I stayed up late was stressed out from work and had a few beers I figured what would it hurt to just take a glance at just the local craig's boats for sale by owner, not like I would really consider buying but just a glance, heck the wife was sleeping I could delete it from my history. Well like many others I came across a listing that didn't seem possible who in their right mind would sell a boat for that price, they have no idea what they have. I foolishly responded but did not feel guilty because of the zero chance of actually being the lucky sucker that got the boat for that price. I hate to admit it I kept checking my e-mail all day the next day seeing if there was a response and there was nothing, I was frustrated that I felt that old feeling of not letting a deal get away, again I relapsed and send another message that I can meet any time and am very interested not a tire kicker or lowballer. I felt shame as I analyzed the storage space and spousal explanation but still felt while I flirted with the edge I did not go over that line and bring home another old ratty boat

Last night the seller responded and said he would be at home at 11:00 this morning I beat 25 other guys that responded to the ad with a boat trailer and $100 to score a mid 50's Alumacraft Flying D. Oh sure I relapsed but this FD will hold me over till next spring. I will post of pics later.

HAHAHA!!! I havent seen the pix of the boat yet, will look after I post this....I love the accuracy of your relapse!!! I to have felt that shame several times!!!!

DeepCMark58A

Commander
No Title

Attachments

• photo278798.JPG
    photo278798.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 2
  • photo278799.JPG
    photo278799.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo278800.JPG
    photo278800.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 2

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Got started on stripping down the hull removing stuff. The PO had put masking tape on the gunnels, what a treat stripping off masking tape that has been on for an extended period of time. Such a fun time in a project trying to figure out colors and materials. Thinking cobalt blue and tan for colors and synthetic teak floor. The boat has so many shiny aluminum trim faces on it going to be pretty.

Ned L

Commander
Great looking boat Mark! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with her. I'll be following along.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Not a lot of progress to illustrate have all the screws out of the hull still scraping off masking tape but have started on the gunnels and splash rails with rubbing and the mini wheel have to get all the bright work done before paint prep work. The hull is really super straight I could buff it out and make it shinny but I have a paint scheme in mind.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I do have one issue with the PO. When I picked up there was another box of parts he had to find, no big deal the guy lives not far from where I work. A couple very key parts are missing the two back corners with handles. I was supposed to meet him last night to get the bill of sale sold and pick up that box of parts. I drove the 35 minutes to his house got there at the planned time of 6:00 and the guys kid tell me he is at a conference. I do not want to have to buy another boat just for the corners.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well I have found a donor boat, probably will save a few $ it has the back corners I need but the transom wood is good and it has a bow eye that I need as well, will feel bad cutting up a vintage row boat but has to be done.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Progress it seems comes in spurts I have been trying to figure out what to do about the seats. I have been looking for just the right fabric and was told old style canvas just is not available. Well I found a source canvas tarps 10 ounce duck cotton. I bought a tart and washed and dried it, out of the dryer it has the perfect finish a little distressed exactly the look I want in a 1957 boat.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I did bring the boat over the weekend to a welder, I decided to have every hole in the boat filled and start over with a blank canvas.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I spent part of yesterday with the mini wheel going over the welds, doing the prep work to get the inside of the boat painted.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I am thinking of sand blasting the bow cover to get a uniform texture, I can moderate the air pressure what kind of grit will work best? Keep in mind the bow cover has grind marks that have been sanded with a fine grit mini wheel I just want it uniform.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Waiting for winter to break. I am going to paint the inside of the boat and I need at least 40 degrees to push the boat outside shoot a coat and bring it back in the shop to dry.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I am thinking of sand blasting the bow cover to get a uniform texture, I can moderate the air pressure what kind of grit will work best? Keep in mind the bow cover has grind marks that have been sanded with a fine grit mini wheel I just want it uniform.

So did you sand blast the outside of the boat. I recall somewhere reading that the end result gives a pimply finish that needs to be sanded down.
Just wondering.
KC