1984 Bayliner Trophy CC Wet Foam

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

A couple of months ago I purchased a 1984 Bayliner Trophy center console boat to replace a small bass boat as my catfishing rig. The boat was in need of repair and had some major wiring issues, so I attended to them first. Once I was able to get on the water, I thought the stern was riding a little low, but figured it was just the way this boat ran. After almost sinking it Friday night, I decided that something is definitely wrong.

Well, after searching and reading, I decided to do some exploration this morning and check for waterlogged foam.

It's waterlogged, alright... Very waterlogged. In fact, I drained the boat when I came back from the lake Friday night, left it sitting up until Saturday afternoon when I took the trailer jack off of the cinder block while I got in the boat, and when I put it back on the cinder block today it drained again for nearly 3 minutes. Lots of water.

I drilled a couple of exploratory holes figuring I could seal them back up if I didn't find anything. Unfortunately, upon drilling one of the holes water began coming out of it. The foam inside is completely soaked. I always try and find myself a fall/winter project, but I think this time it may have found me.

I'm going to be speaking with the local boat repair place this week, and have a couple of questions:

1. If I were to hire him to remove and replace the foam / any stringers that may need replaced as well, what would be a reasonable price?
2. If I decide to do this project myself, how difficult will it be to remove the cap from the boat to allow me access to the inner hull?
3. Could I possibly just cut a section of the deck to get access and use a long tool to dig the foam out of the compartments?

Any advice, suggestions, or even words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
That much water means pretty much anything and everything is rotten. New foam, stringers, bulkheads, transom(?), floor.. Im thinking about 4-6k

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I'm thinkin save yourself @ 85% and do it yourself. Surely won't be a weekend job doing it yourself but you will have the satisfaction that you did it and it's better than new. jmho.
It is a nasty job but just about everyone here has done it.
kc

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Its really more labor than anything
Its not hard at all if your slightly handy
Im almost done with my first resto and with everyones help on here it will be easy
As for price...iv spent about $1200 on materials not including grinding discs sandpaper etc
Shop around online

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You've got me tempted to try this myself. Especially since I've never been let down by members here at iboats when it comes to helpful people.

How handy would one need to be? I do my own home repairs, I can read and follow directions, and I probably have more tools than I honestly need.

How big of a PITA will it be to separate the cap? From what I've read, I need to remove the center console after disconnecting everything, remove the rub rail, and then use a putty knife to break the seal between the two sections of hull. As far as lifting the cap off, where would one connect the chain hoists on the hanger to?

Building the hanger I've seen in another thread would be a cakewalk, and I'd probably end up turning it into a lean-to or something when I'm finished.

Honestly, separating the cap is the most intimidating part at the moment. I'm sure things will change when/if I get in there.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
i THINK YOU HAVE THE RIGHT MINDSET and talent... Time to get at it. Post pics etc and let the fun begin..

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here are some pics of the boat. I'm hoping that they turn out since I'm having issues uploading today. The black helm is the one that was in the boat when I purchased it. The white helm is the one I designed, constructed, wired, and installed. The new helm is made of seaboard HDPE so that it will last.

Attachments

• photo277608.jpg
    photo277608.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 1
  • photo277609.jpg
    photo277609.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo277610.jpg
    photo277610.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

2 more pics, one of the hole and another layout photo.

Attachments

• photo277611.jpg
    photo277611.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo277612.jpg
    photo277612.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ahh they turned out fine. besides removing the cc, everything else should be under the rub rails for seperation.

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Kcassells, I do believe you have me talked into doing this. I'm still going to talk to my fiberglass guy and see what he'd charge in the off chance that it's remotely affordable. I am also going to see what he'd charge to do the glassing if I do the down and dirty stuff then bring the lower hull to him. I suppose that's an option, right?

I've read through a thread here where a guy did a 1988 bayliner trophy.. He documented everything start to finish.

Also, will it be absolutely necessary to remove the outboard in order to remove the cap? I have an outboard stand that would hold it no problem, but if I can avoid removing it, I'd like to.

I start vacation next week... I guess I'll be getting the garage cleaned out enough to get a boat hull inside of it. :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Can't tell from the pics but usually it should come off. That's no biggy either. Just planning, time, material and labor. Hey Good Luck whichever way you go. For most of us it's affordability and the other part is knowing I did it and it's right.
Like the others have said based on your comments its atotal rehab so the transom is coming out too.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'd bet that 'cap: won't come right off. It looks to me to be built as a liner rather then cap. So if you lift at the gunwale, the interior vertical fiberglass panels below the gunwale and the deck (floor) will all be connected and held in place (down) by the foam behind all those pieces of fiberglass..

Unless the other Trophy rebuild you read thru was the same year as yours, they could be built the same or differently....

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
If you do the down and dirty work, you're leaving the fiberglass work(the easiest part) to someone else. If you put the time, effort, blood and itching into everything else, may as well do it all. Save lots of $$$

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You're all sounding like my wife. I've been emailing with her today while she's been at work. I've tried to explain everything that would have to be done. She insists it doesn't sound like too bad of a project. She has seen the other projects I've taken on though and tends to have more confidence in me than I have in myself sometimes.

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another question. My garage is attached to my house. I do not have a pole barn to do this project in... Is the smell of fiberglass resin going to infiltrate my home and stay forever?

chevymaher

Commander
It will be in the house for a long time. I did one thing in the garage. After that outside or nothing. And i had the paint blower going when I did it. It is strong.

It does dissapate reasonably well tho.

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How would temperatures affect drying times if I decide to do this work outside? I'd definitely have more room if I did it outside, but we are getting ready for fall/winter too.

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If your cap comes off like the one in the thread you linked to in post 13, I think once you get things cleaned out, you'll be surprised how quickly they go back together.

If you get stuck along the way, the folks here will get you on track, just ask.

Some tolerate the odor better than others, I do mine outside.

If you go for it, I'll follow along, for sure.:joyous: