1984 Bayliner Trophy CC Wet Foam

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
If you can fix things around the house you will be able to do it
I had a slight advantage as i do autobody for a living ang im a big do it yourselfer
By you doing it you will know its done properly
I did all my grinding in the fall so when the spring came i was ready to go
And i ordered all my supplies over the winter to avoid the sticker shock

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm thinking this is a project I can do. I also ran into a stroke of good luck (If you want to call anything about having to rebuild a boat good) We used to have a Crownline Boat factory in the next town over. I'd totally forgotten that a good friend of mine worked there for a while, and I also found out today that a coworker of mine used to work there in prototyping and fabrication..

I figure I can throw some beer or some greenbacks (whichever they choose) at either one of them and get technical help with some of this project.

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Deep down I've probably already decided to do this project... I'm still convincing myself of it, but I'm already cleaning out the garage and I just freed up an outboard stand by removing what was left of a 115 inline-6 that I parted out in anticipation of putting the 115 inline-6 off of this boat onto the stand for safe keeping.

By the way, if I do choose to undertake this project, there will be an open invite to any iboats forum member who'd like to assist. Food, Drink, and lots of fish stories and lies will be provided at no cost. :D

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Before you cut, undo anything else.. measure.. measure measure measure... make drawings of it.. take lots and lots of pics... Once you start to uncap it, the lip will want to spread out.. measure.. and measure some more... you'll want it to retain the same measurement when you start fiberglassing that its at right now, so the cap will fit right down onto it

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
As for the invite.. oddly enough, I LOVE the smell of resin and hardener kicking off.. I'd be there in a heart beat. Poor ventilation areas make the work seem happy and fun! :faint2: --- When you grind and cut the glass.. a trick I learned is to cover your bare skin with baby powder. And after a good shower, take packing tape and go over your skin that itches (it will pull fibers out of you)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well you have a cool boat! Definitely a fun fix, let the games begin. I like the beer and fish story offer too!:joyous: Like what BeachBoy says...pics pics, pics and meas.

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Before you cut, undo anything else.. measure.. measure measure measure... make drawings of it.. take lots and lots of pics... Once you start to uncap it, the lip will want to spread out.. measure.. and measure some more... you'll want it to retain the same measurement when you start fiberglassing that its at right now, so the cap will fit right down onto it

A few things:

1. When I designed the custom instrument panel for this boat, I used Autocad to mock everything up prior to touching a piece of wood. I fully intend to mock up everything I can in CAD so that I have a diagram and blueprint once everything is apart. That may be overkill, but I'd rather have numbers I don't need than need numbers I don't have.

2. I spoke with the local boat repair shop today. I've had him do fiberglassing for me before.. He does excellent work. However, he told me straight off that there was nothing that can be done for waterlogged foam. He said there's no way to get it out. I referred him to the forums, but needless to say my confidence in him doing this job just went to zilch.

3. I may be putting the cart before the horse here, but I was reading up on fiberglassing last night. I know there are definite differences, but the method of glassing and tabbing things in doesn't seem a lot different, in theory, than taping drywall. Taping drywall is not one of my favorite jobs, but I can do it. Am I on target with my observation?

Guys, it looks like I have a project. My wife is on board, and I've begun the process of clearing out the garage to fit a boat inside of it. I'll probably start taking measurements on Thursday morning and get everything mocked up in CAD. I'll post a pic of my cad diagram prior to going any further in case I need additional measurements.

Thank You all for your support and encouragement. I'm looking forward to doing this project with y'all.

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just got it. Thanks for the heads up. Going to be making a trip to the local Menards tomorrow to pick up lumber so I can construct my 'Cap Crane'

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
October 1, 2017 Update. I will be starting the restoration project very soon. I am getting all my ducks in a row before I get started. That includes taking measurements of the boat, constructing the lift that I will be using to separate the cap from the lower hull, and getting the console and outboard removed.

First and foremost, however, I've had to empty out my garage to make room for the boat. That has been the part of this project getting most of my attention so far.

I did have a few thoughts, however, and I've been throwing some ideas around in my head. Here's one of them:

Since I'm going to have this thing completely pulled apart, that would be the prime time to do any kind of modifications. I like the flotation pods that are mounted on the rear of the Procat series of aluminum boats. Would these work on fiberglass boats, could I construct and glass them to the existing hull, and, more importantly, would I actually see any benefit from them? Just one of those things I've been toying with.

Attachments

• pods.jpg
    pods.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
It's always good to think ahead and mods are always a nice feature. Let's see what you have after the cap comes off.

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:confused::confused: Update 10-3-17: Opinions Please :confused::confused:

Today started out on a rather good note...possibly.

I received a text message from a local boat repairman, whom I know personally and have had do some work for me in the past. When I'd spoken with him last week he told me he'd look into getting me an estimate. Not having heard anything I'd figured it wasn't interested.

That brings us to today's message:

He has quoted me around $1200 labor plus materials. I told him I'd call him later and am already planning on having a sit down tomorrow where we can draw up a written estimate that outlines everything that would be done.

I haven't committed to anything at this time...I'm wanting honest opinions.

Here's my question: If I can have this done by someone who does this for a living and only have to pay around $1000 more than doing it myself, should I do it?

I'm sure he would let me be present for at least part of the process if I asked to. This would, however, save me the cost of constructing the lift, buying the chain hoists, etc.. Costs that would add up prior to even beginning the restoration process.

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
I'd do it myself, you don't need an elaborate lift system.. Watch the video series I sent ya. friscoboater didn't use one. This way you'll learn all about it and learn how easy the work actually is. But then again, it is your money

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Ask him what the total cost would be... Labor + materials -- come up with a flat end amount.. Report back