Starcraft islander resto .. first boat 🍻👍

Marinemp

Seaman Apprentice
Are they universal in shape ? Any recamendstions where to get a 18_25 gal tank for the islander

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
No they are no really universal tanks. They are more designed to fit the shape of you hull. Moeller tanks {plastic** have a variety of sizes for your review. Also research on install techniques. You will need to build a structure to enclose it/base/walls etc. It's all about the dimensions you have to fit a tank properly.

Marinemp

Seaman Apprentice
Ok gents I got a few of my deck pieces cut out from some 3/4 a.c. ply.. should I epoxy them now ? Or wait untill I get them fitted in the boat ? I'm curious how I epoxy them and fasten them to the boat with out compromising the epoxy with the fastener holes

Marinemp

Seaman Apprentice
Ok gents I got a few of my deck pieces cut out from some 3/4 a.c. ply.. should I epoxy them now ? Or wait untill I get them fitted in the boat ? I'm curious how I epoxy them and fasten them to the boat with out compromising the epoxy with the fastener holes

I guess my question is should I epoxy and paint the deck pieces before I figure out where my deck screws are going or just finish the deck pieces and then screw rate through the finished deck into the aluminum then seal the top of the screw ?

chevymaher

Commander
I would seal the bottom and edges before it goes in. Screw it then seal the whole top at once.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Seal (epoxy) the ply 100% out of the boat. Do the edges w every coat on both sides, so edges get twice as many coats.

If final finish is paint, I'd do that after installation

why screws instead of rivets?

you seal the fastener holes as you go, pre drill, goop 4200 into the hole, put in rivets or screws.

large flange, brazier head, closed end, blind aluminum mandrel rivets

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah not a big fan of screwing down decking, rivets are my preferred method. You have to seal the wood first, nothing you can do but add sealer to the fasteners as you go if your worried about the attachment holes.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Seal (epoxy) the ply 100% out of the boat. Do the edges w every coat on both sides, so edges get twice as many coats.

If final finish is paint, I'd do that after installation

why screws instead of rivets?

you seal the fastener holes as you go, pre drill, goop 4200 into the hole, put in rivets or screws.

large flange, brazier head, closed end, blind aluminum mandrel rivets

I'm no longer a fan of screwing down decks either. The deck in my Kingfisher was screwed down by a PO who used regular home decking screws. They rusted and it was a major PITA to get the deck up. SO - when I did the quick and dirty refurb on the boat three years ago, I used stainless deck screws. A couple of them lost their grip and I had loose decking. Fortunately, it was in non-critical areas.

Fast forward to last year when I started the full-on restoration. Went to unscrew the deck... and ALL of the stainless screw heads stripped! I ended up having to use a hole saw to cut the plywood around the screws in order to get the deck out. LESSON LEARNED! :nod:

My new deck is ready for installation and when the time comes (in the next few weeks) I will use the appropriate sized rivets. Thank ya... thankyavermush. :lol:

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just used PL Premium. The wood should break before the bond does.

Watermann

I just used PL Premium. The wood should break before the bond does.

Attaching the decking to such a small section of aluminum at the rib ends and deck supports on these AL boats. So large flange rivets are pretty much the best way to attach decking. Glass boats... yeah adhesive is an option.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
My bad, I forgot this was an aluminum boat. Disregard my previous comment!

Marinemp

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah not a big fan of screwing down decking, rivets are my preferred method. You have to seal the wood first, nothing you can do but add sealer to the fasteners as you go if your worried about the attachment holes.

Rivets it is gents .. what's the best way of knowing your drilling through the deck into the desired attachment point so I'm not making extra holes in the deck missing the alumin stringer thing that the rivets go into ... very stupid questions I know if never done anything like this before.. my plan was once I figured out where the first one was snap a chalk like and go from there. .

Watermann

The decking in your boat should be laid in across the boat with each sheet of ply being cut down to fit the width and angle as the hull changes width. Since each piece of decking will run 4' forward you can run a line in the middle of the support beam and at the ribs you can feel where they are and need to be drilled through. Most of us will use either angle AL for a deck joint seam support or make backers of ply that will support the next piece of decking.

Lots of pics and info in the SC section of the forum. Due to PB and their photo hosting issues some of them may not have pics but there is work around if you find that's an issue.

This thread may help you decide about the rivets you'll need for the job Rivets, rivets and more rivets!

Marinemp

Seaman Apprentice
The decking in your boat should be laid in across the boat with each sheet of ply being cut down to fit the width and angle as the hull changes width. Since each piece of decking will run 4' forward you can run a line in the middle of the support beam and at the ribs you can feel where they are and need to be drilled through. Most of us will use either angle AL for a deck joint seam support or make backers of ply that will support the next piece of decking.

Lots of pics and info in the SC section of the forum. Due to PB and their photo hosting issues some of them may not have pics but there is work around if you find that's an issue.

This thread may help you decide about the rivets you'll need for the job Rivets, rivets and more rivets!

As always your locked on sir. Good to know your in my corner on this one

Marinemp

Seaman Apprentice

got my first coat of epoxy on my first piece of decking boys.. this stuff is fun not looking forward to all the eletrical work !