Glassport restore thread

So, I'm finally posting. I picked up an 88 Glassport two years ago that "just needed floors and seats." Yeah... I'm sure everyone has heard that before.

I've been reading threads here on iboats for a year now... yes, a year. Read the Oops haul extension, the only other Glassport redo, and Glastronbobs thread. Anyways, thought I'd start my own.

As I'm sure you've guessed, the boat needs a LOT of work. It's a 4.3 with a Cobra outdrive. From having worked on Merc outdrives, I'm happy with the OMC. I'm still trying to get the powertrain running good, then I'm going to the haul. Judging by the ants living in the transom, it'll be a full job.

I've pictures of spots here and there, but I guess I need to take an overall pick of the boat at some point. Going to document her here.

No Title

Ok, I figured out the pic thing.

Apparently, someone has "fixed" the flooring before, and by fixed I mean used dimensional lumber, did nothing to protect it, not even paint, and then used carbon hardware...

Attachments

• photo277421.jpg
    photo277421.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 0
No Title

Front seating "repair" included unprotected particle board and cutting and drilling holes in the bow area that was actually solid at one time...

Attachments

• photo277422.jpg
    photo277422.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo277423.jpg
    photo277423.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 0
No Title

This next game is the what all can we RTV game... needless to say, I have a LOT of sanding to do on the outside of the hull...

Attachments

• photo277424.jpg
    photo277424.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo277425.jpg
    photo277425.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo277426.jpg
    photo277426.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo277426.jpg
    photo277426.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1
In addition, the entire rub rail has RTV around it, and layers on layers of RTV around the gimble ring... pics are to large to upload

I'll be back on her two weekends after this one, and I'll try to get more, smaller pictures.

Egg, the tutorial is based on a desk top; I actually do everything from my phone, my wife has a laptop, but I never use it. I do have a desk top at work, but don't really have time for such things there, nor are my pics there. Being a .gov computer, I can't really upload stuff to it either.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gotcha. I'm not sure how to make the big images pop up using mobile, maybe someone else will chime in.

If you're doing .gov work, I hope this resto isn't at bureaucratic speed! Lol

No Title

I may have mentioned, may not, that I have one weekend a month to work on the boat. Plus side, it's in the shop pictured, down side, it is half a day getting it moved and ready to be worked on...

I had realized when I started this, I had no overall pictures of the boat, so, tadah

Attachments

• photo278700.jpg
    photo278700.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo278701.jpg
    photo278701.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo278702.jpg
    photo278702.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo278702.jpg
    photo278702.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1
No Title

And here's how she currently sets. Yes, that is the fuel tank propped in the ski locker. Interior is gutted, messing with the engine ATM, getting ready to pull it and the out drive. After watching Friscoboaters videos, I believe I am going to do the floor and transom with the cap on. I'm afraid if I pull the cap now, I may lose motivation and never finished it. Besides, storage for me is a problem as I have to transport the boat one weekend a month to work on it.

Attachments

• photo278703.jpg
    photo278703.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
No Title

I have no idea why some of the pictures turned sideways, oh well. She really has very clean lines. The front of the bow has a nice down turn to it, I call it a clip point as it reminds me of knifes with such a point, though IDK if that's really a boat term... works for me though Trailer is in immaculate shape, especially compared to the boat. It's an 87 Classic Trailers from Texas. It makes wonder if she was well taken care of, and just a poor build quality, or if she had so much previous hack job work that she was bound to end up like this.

Attachments

• photo278699.jpg
    photo278699.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • photo278704.jpg
    photo278704.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo278705.jpg
    photo278705.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 0

psteele35

Recruit
I took possession of my father's 1988 Glassport 175 this summer. Fortunately for me it was in a barn for the last 19 years. She cleaned up really well all things considered but I do have some work to do. There is one soft spot in the floor on the starboard side in front of the passenger seat and the transom appears to have some flex in it. It's nice to see another Glassport owner on the forum. There don't seem to be many of us around!

I took possession of my father's 1988 Glassport 175 this summer. Fortunately for me it was in a barn for the last 19 years. She cleaned up really well all things considered but I do have some work to do. There is one soft spot in the floor on the starboard side in front of the passenger seat and the transom appears to have some flex in it. It's nice to see another Glassport owner on the forum. There don't seem to be many of us around!

From my research, they weren't around long. Apparently, the owner, as it was a privately held company, had a fondness for playing the ponies and , well, didn't have much luck with that... shame really...