1966 Starcraft Holiday Engine Repower

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Very nice! I've been trying to make my own tonneau cover, and may give that shop a call instead.

They did a very nice job and they were very competitive on the price. You can see in the pictures they fitted the corners so they wrap around, instead of flaps. I'll be going back for my bimini and interior jobs in the future. They did that engine cover too and it's nice work. They put a heatshield on the inside of it.

The fasteners where it fastens in front of my windshield are what they called "common sense fasteners", basically there is a nub that sticks up and a grommet on my cover. You put the grommet on the nub and the nub twists locking it on. We did that because we didn't want to drill into the windshield frame and we didn't want the saps always coming unsnapped up there. I'll take a picture of it next time I'm at my boat.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Weekend fun at Mosquito Creek Lake

The boat performed very good. There is a hesitation when you go to punch it, but it seems like a minor carb adjustment. I think this basically marks the completion of my repower project.

My daughter's first time riding on anything behind a boat.

Attachments

• photo315739.jpg
    photo315739.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 8
  • photo315740.jpg
    photo315740.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 8
  • photo315741.jpg
    photo315741.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 8
  • photo315743.jpg
    photo315743.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 8

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's really great! I'm glad you didn't have any major issues and were able to get everyone out on the water and enjoy all that hard work. :thumb:

mfelthousen

Seaman
Weekend fun at Mosquito Creek Lake

The boat performed very good. There is a hesitation when you go to punch it, but it seems like a minor carb adjustment. I think this basically marks the completion of my repower project.

My daughter's first time riding on anything behind a boat.

Congratulations! The results look great. Hopefully the hesitation is just timing or idle adjustment and not the start of an accelerator pump problem- by the time I bought my boat the dead spot made it unusable. I ended up putting on a new carb.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
I have to revisit wire management along my Gunnel. I installed a temporary fix so I could get out on the water, but now my fix is in the way of re-installing some rod holders that I will be needing. I like the hangers that I've seen in other rebuilds, but I am going to keep it easy and stick to as original as I can on this one. Originally my boat had vinyl straps that fastened to the bolt ends, of the bolts that hold on my rub rail. I am going to go with that idea and order some of these eye mount zipties:

Black mounted head cable, zip tie - Black mounted head cable, zip tie

I was excited to find these and It seems too easy, not to give them a try for this application...

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
I started with nylon replacements, but could only find 1" diameter which wasn't enough.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXELE9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These ties that I ordered are 14" ties, 120lb strength, UV protected, and the pack was like $15 plus shipping. 100 in a pack. I'm not sure what size hole the screw fits. I kind of like the disposable feature to them. I can cut them off, do what I need to do and then slap another one on. A pack of 100 ought to be enough. I was considering the cushioned stainless things, but I wasn't sure if I could find them big enough. In addition to my steering and throttle cables I've got battery cable running down the side of my boat.

mfelthousen

Seaman
These ties that I ordered are 14" ties, 120lb strength, UV protected, and the pack was like $15 plus shipping. 100 in a pack. I'm not sure what size hole the screw fits. I kind of like the disposable feature to them. I can cut them off, do what I need to do and then slap another one on. A pack of 100 ought to be enough. I was considering the cushioned stainless things, but I wasn't sure if I could find them big enough. In addition to my steering and throttle cables I've got battery cable running down the side of my boat.

I ended up with 1.75” clamps, which was overkill, but they are available in other sizes also. I also have 8ga. cables run to the front for aux devices and 1.5” probably would have been fine. The nylon clamps I found originally were also not big enough to fit over the studs, so hopefully the cable ties have a larger diameter hole. I like the tie wraps you found too- will be interesting to see how they work in the harder to reach areas.

Mat

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
The zipties ended up working great. The length (14") are a little long, for sure, but they are thick and tough.

I'm getting my gear together for the fall. I'm going to try trolling for steelhead at Fairport Harbor, the Grand River. The fish move in from the lake and congregate for a couple months before they head up the river. The local bait shop says, troll 2.5 mph, 7' Medium Rods, with spoons and stick bait, about 100' of line. So I picked up some Ugly Stiks and Okuma 20 counter caster reels. The reels were cheap but had high reviews online. I guess we'll see how they hold up, hopefully:D.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
I took the boat to have it winterized yesterday. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it performed over the summer. The best I got out of it was 28mph at 4200 RPM. It does have a dead-zone right before you punch it, but that goes away after it's warmed up. We had a lot of fun fishing and swimming off it all summer. My next project is going to be the floor and the interior and I plan on starting that next fall, hopefully to finish before summer 2021. I only got to get out after the Steelhead in Fairport Harbor once. I got half my limit though (one) :joyous:. They said the season hadn't really started yet and my fish was about average size.

Attachments

• photo322335.jpg
    photo322335.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • photo322336.jpg
    photo322336.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • photo322337.jpg
    photo322337.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • photo322338.jpg
    photo322338.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • photo322339.jpg
    photo322339.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • photo322340.jpg
    photo322340.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • photo322341.jpg
    photo322341.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • photo322342.jpg
    photo322342.jpg
  • photo322343.jpg
    photo322343.jpg
  • photo322344.jpg
    photo322344.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • photo322345.jpg
    photo322345.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • photo322346.jpg
    photo322346.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • photo322347.jpg
    photo322347.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • photo322348.jpg
    photo322348.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • photo322349.jpg
    photo322349.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

mfelthousen

Seaman
Congratulations! The smiles say it all- the boat looks great. I’m assuming that 28mph was with the boat loaded? My ‘77 with the 120 and 19 pitch prop gets to 33 at that rpm, but that is with just me and a small amount of gear.

Mat

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Congratulations! The smiles say it all- the boat looks great. I’m assuming that 28mph was with the boat loaded? My ‘77 with the 120 and 19 pitch prop gets to 33 at that rpm, but that is with just me and a small amount of gear.

Mat

mfelthousen that was with just me onboard one day and it did the same with my family onboard another day. I can't remember what prop I put on it. It was a mixed performance prop though, because I want to pull tubers and skiers. I think I sacrificed some top-end speed for power, and that's why I think it's topping out at that speed regardless of how many people onboard. That's just what I think. I'm not a mechanic.

I've had a hard time getting the engine to pump out more than 3800 RPM. WOT is supposed to be 4600. I'm getting 4200 with a new fuel pump. There has been a lot done to the engine, and the Gimbal assembly is re-built. My suspect is the drive. There hasn't been a lot of attention paid to it. I know the PO never changed the fluid, which was pretty black when it was drained... I'm sure a new drive would give me more RPM. I don't know if I'll ever get 4600 with that prop on there, but that's ok because I plan on using it for skiing too.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I took the boat to have it winterized yesterday. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it performed over the summer. The best I got out of it was 28mph at 4200 RPM. It does have a dead-zone right before you punch it, but that goes away after it's warmed up. We had a lot of fun fishing and swimming off it all summer. My next project is going to be the floor and the interior and I plan on starting that next fall, hopefully to finish before summer 2021. I only got to get out after the Steelhead in Fairport Harbor once. I got half my limit though (one) :joyous:. They said the season hadn't really started yet and my fish was about average size.

Precious pics.. congratulations!

65Jupiter

Cadet
Hi there. I am new and working on a 66 holiday too. Question for you - how did you get the dash out? Did you have to remove the rub rail?