1966 Starcraft Holiday Engine Repower

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
I got the pictures from Riggs Marine today. I'm thinking late April to go get it, early May at the latest. I hope it's completely ready to go by June. I would say earlier but I'm going to repaint the stern sheet and allow that to dry thoroughly before I put the swim platform on it. If everything goes well, it'll probably be a mid-May splash to measure where I want the swim platform.

I have a plan for how I am going to mount my bilge pump. I don't know if it will work or not, but my idea is to span a piece of wood across the stringers, bridging the two. Then I have an aluminum bracket, that I had the welder make for me, it's bent at a 90, so I can screw it to the wood and there'll be a seat for my pump to sit on. They gave me the measurement between the stringers and their height, so now I can get going on treating my wood, so that's not holding me up later.

Attachments

• photo308773.jpg
    photo308773.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo308774.jpg
    photo308774.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • photo308775.jpg
    photo308775.jpg
    763.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo308776.jpg
    photo308776.jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 3

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Here is the set up I used on a 65 Holly with a 3.0L I worked on last summer, similar to the set up on my SS.

y4mY4PC4i7idaL08ovilC-Sl4AzSgH_FDzRCSdw1CzzsixuaEJYWKv7JMImZLpW5tdqzcb0lgLXlpkpDiehGhYsAJLUdDU3v9WurTWeNIaKy9ZubXV3R4oL4fcKpvmKhTsbWzEK2_fH3CZNExvNpZH719qTO8B9-0m1Gx_Rh_cH8kCFWbOwN0PXMjWY-3RHx3OTKFrNb4NjWzZ21eaibu2v8Q

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry to go off script, but I can fing nothing on a Starcraft SOTY winner. Was there one?
Cheers

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking at the picture and I'm worried my doghouse isn't going to work anymore. That engine looks taller than the 110 that was in there.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
I just got this shipment this morning. They're called "The Ultimate Bunks". They are a composite bunk board, and are guaranteed for life. I should never have to replace them. I read a few testimonials, did the math and decided to go with them over building wood bunks. People say that when they're wet, they're so slick it's like having rollers. I have to say, I can see that. They're slick with no water on them. I'm impressed already. I have two five foot and two 10 footers and the carrier said they weigh 79lbs.

Doing the math, if you're using marine grade lumber, the cost of building new wood bunks is almost the cost of these, and if you ever had to rebuild the wood bunks you would be spending more in the long run. That's if you're using marine grade wood. That's not to mention the inconvenience of wasting a perfectly good day to fish on replacing bunk boards. Plus, there is no hitting a pothole or something and splitting a board.

Attachments

• photo308798.jpg
    photo308798.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

oldrem

Commander
I just got this shipment this morning. They're called "The Ultimate Bunks". They are a composite bunk board, and are guaranteed for life. I should never have to replace them. I read a few testimonials, did the math and decided to go with them over building wood bunks. People say that when they're wet, they're so slick it's like having rollers. I have to say, I can see that. They're slick with no water on them. I'm impressed already. I have two five foot and two 10 footers and the carrier said they weigh 79lbs.

Doing the math, if you're using marine grade lumber, the cost of building new wood bunks is almost the cost of these, and if you ever had to rebuild the wood bunks you would be spending more in the long run. That's if you're using marine grade wood. That's not to mention the inconvenience of wasting a perfectly good day to fish on replacing bunk boards. Plus, there is no hitting a pothole or something and splitting a board.

Those sound good. I may go that route on the back end of mine for good transom support.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Lately I've been sitting here anxiously awaiting the dozen boat parts and accessories from the big brown truck and I wanted to post about this Safety Gear Bag I bought (yeah you can tell the boating fever is burning hot). This bag is pretty awesome though. It's very well built, nice thick material and good zippers. It basically holds all the little things you need to be legal and a few extra safety gear items you might want to keep onboard. I saw them priced anywhere from $30-$60 online. Its got a clear pouch at the top to keep registration and insurance info. Then the large compartment holds 5 adult XL type II PFD's. There's a smaller compartment on top that's good for your flag and I put a collapsible paddle in it and the front holds, little stuff like: whistle, First Aid Kit, knife, hand held compass etc. I also stuffed an electric flare in the hole that the Type II collars create in the big pocket.

The bag is the answer if you have a small fish n ski, especially if you don't have a glove box. I tighten the carry strap to hold my throwable snug to the bag, so it's secure but I can still grab it and throw it quickly if I need to.

The electric flare is good in the sense that it replace flares and never expires (must have good batteries), but this Weems & Path one is a piece of junk, I'd have to say. I like that it'll keep my boat legal but it doesn't exactly instill confidence. It's like a dollar store flashlight with a float on it. It is a USCG approved night signal though and it'll work fine on my boat that won't be used during dark hours very often, on lakes that are small enough to yell for help if you get into trouble...

Attachments

• DSC04877.JPG
    DSC04877.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC04880.JPG
    DSC04880.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC04876.JPG
    DSC04876.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC04879.JPG
    DSC04879.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC04881.JPG
    DSC04881.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC04878.JPG
    DSC04878.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

sprintst

Commander
Can't wait to see the boat out on the water. Give it a few years to forget about the time and money as the boat will be as solid as the day you did it. This year is going to be the year of boating and maybe a little less working :)

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Can't wait to see the boat out on the water. Give it a few years to forget about the time and money as the boat will be as solid as the day you did it. This year is going to be the year of boating and maybe a little less working :)

I can't wait to get it out on the water. I've got a date. April 26th I'm headed to Wisconsin to pick it up. They want to do a test drive, so I guess we're going t cruise around Lake Winnebago a little bit. It'll be half built, just a quick test drive to make sure it floats and everything is working. I should be getting the trailer for it back from the painter within the next couple weeks

I knew that I was going to take on this project when I bought the boat. I looked into the possibility of upgrading the drive train before I bought it. I was hoping to get a few years on the old set-up first, but somebody failed to tell me the outdrive had cracks in it when I bought it, and you can only look at a boat so hard in a half hour when you're shopping... So the project came early for me :noidea: . I had fun working on it, I wish I could have planned it a little better on the financial side of it, but no regrets and I didn't cut any corners.

There's really three choices for this: Buy a brand new boat, buy used boats and replace them with other used boats as needed or buy a used boat, keep it and fix it as you go until you're done with it. IMHO, unless you live on a lake, buying a brand new boat doesn't make financial sense, at all, not for the way boats get used here in the Midwest. You can pay serious money 50k-100k+, you'll still have to buy canvas, and neither the boat or trailer will be set-up the way you want it. My dad always bought used boats, and replaced them with other used boats as needed. On top of the purchase, he still had to put some pretty serious money into some of those boats. One was a lemon and a total waste of about 4k, not counting work that was done to it. He had a 16' Starcraft that ran like a top. I learned how to ski behind that one, and he had a really nice 19' Rinker. The Rinker was pretty solid. He took us tubing and skiing with it, Walleye fishing on Erie, and Salmon fishing on Lake Ontario. I remember being on Ontario in some pretty serious waves on that boat. He had a Ski-Nautique that was a beautiful ski boat, pulled me and my brothers all at once, but could not putter around and fish very good at all. So when I bought this boat, my first boat, I thought a little bit about his boats and how I wanted to use my boat, and I decided I was buying one and keeping it. Otherwise you lose all that money you invest in canvas, upholstery, the mechanics, etc. I maintain that in the long run it really ends up being cheaper to buy used (make sure it is a sound hull) and repair it as you go. I'm hoping to get 25 years or so out of this Starcraft and I fully expect to replace the engine again at some point. Hopefully my transom holds up and next time it will be a simple drop in.:encouragement:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah of course I agree with buying old boats and making them what you want. If nothing else the feeling of investment and accomplishment makes it worthwhile.

bogee

Seaman
On the previous page you said about the dog house not fitting, Mine didn't, it was 1/2" to short. Also on the old engine the decking ran past the stringers towards the engine and I gut it out to match the stringers. I ended up building a new dog house. Worked out for the better, the new doghouse is flat on top and will hold a small table top gas grill nicely, LOL

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
mickyryan Said he's going to measure his engine (his is the same model and roughly year), so I'll know if I need to be prepared to modify my existing. I guess it doesn't really matter. I know what my temporary solution if this engine is a little taller. I'll just add a plywood collar until my interior, floor rebuild, cosmetic project in couple years.

My real problem is going to be that if I have to make my doghouse taller, it will no longer be flush with my transom cap. If I have to go a 1/2 inch taller or add a collar or anything, my doghouse will stick up, that much which is fine with me temporarily... I'm kind of interested to know if that's going to be the case, so I can start doing some serious thinking about a solution...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
My box is tall at 24 “ you could go shorter depending on height from floor to top of cleaner, id leave 2 “ clearence

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Well the time has finally come to finish this project. Hopefully I will be seaworthy by the end of May. By this time next week I will be on my way home with the boat. I have two separate worksets that I need to complete. I'm breaking it up into two sets because I am going to have to paint my stern sheet again and it will need to dry thoroughly.

Up First:

1. Install the bilge pump
2. Install the blower
3. Re-Install the Side Panels
4. Re-Install the Back to Back seats
5. Re-Paint the Stern Sheet
6. Install New HIN Plate

*I Need to check the height of the Dog House and make sure it will work* (I think it will)

I've replaced all of my hardware with 316 SS. I plan on using Tef-Gel where the stainless contacts aluminum and 5200 on all screws into the transom wood.

With any luck I'll get my trailer back in time to work on it simultaneously, which was my plan.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Day 35:

I got home from Wisconsin this afternoon with the boat and started putting it back together. Today I went ahead and reinstalled my side panels and my back-to-back seats. It really makes a huge difference! I have a boat again! I think the new throttle control is awesome too :thumb:.

Attachments

• photo311520.jpg
    photo311520.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • photo311521.jpg
    photo311521.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • photo311522.jpg
    photo311522.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • photo311523.jpg
    photo311523.jpg