1995 Crownline 202 BR Restoration - Beginner looking for resources to learn

Hauger

Seaman
So, on an impulse, I bought a 1995 Crownline 202 BR with a Merc 5.0 Ltr (270 hrs) that looks good in pictures but up close you notice the issues. The Engine/Outdrive seem to be in excellent condition, after running it on the lake last weekend (and pulling skiers). I absolutely loved driving it.

But....the floor has spongy spots and the vinyl is shot. There's some seat plywood rot and a few soft places where I'm sure the underlying structure is rotted. After talking with the last owner (2nd owner) it's pretty clear he knew he needed to look after the engine but was way out of his element with maintaining everything else with the boat.

I'm pretty good as an amateur DIY guy, but never tackled a boat. I like to read and learn as much as I can before tearing into a project to try and avoid (although I never do) "doh" moments. From what I've found, replacing the floor + stringers looks like something I can do. I saw a few good threads on other people doing this before and will give them a solid read, but it's annoying Photobucket is blocking their photos now.

I guess what I'm looking for is any resources/FAQs/stuff I could read before tearing into the project. Ideally I'd like to get the project finished over the winter (floor first, followed by seat repair and professional re-upholstery). If there's anything anyone thinks I should give a read or knows something that's worth looking at, I'd love to hear it.

Last, I guess while I'm here, I'll ask if taking the top cap off is really necessary or if it's possible to work around it. I'd rather not mess with the hull or hull integrity as much as possible, even if it means stringer and floor replacement itself is harder.

Thanks

chevymaher

Commander
Last, I guess while I'm here, I'll ask if taking the top cap off is really necessary or if it's possible to work around it. I'd rather not mess with the hull or hull integrity as much as possible, even if it means stringer and floor replacement itself is harder.

Thanks

I chose to leave the cap on. I wasn't with the hull flopping around and distorting. I would rather it have as much support as possible as it is being worked on.

It is a PIA sometimes. Especially working in the bow section. I had my doubts about being able to get the transom in. I can get it in and out easily now. You can figure it out tho.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, the photo bucket thing is annoying to say the least and many forums are seeing the issue.

You have come to the best place for boat restoration, so read some more and then do some Google image searches and you may find some photos.

I did a couple of bulkhead & partial stringer restoration projects here on iBoats and my photos are not on photobucket, so you could start there and hopefully find others.

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Love the lines on those Crowns!! Woodonglass has a very good link in his signature regarding stringers, floors and transoms. Archbuilder, GT100000 and sphelps among many others have great builds. Good luck and take LOTS of pictures, they will be worth their weight in gold down the line!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a few emails and messages into Jay (Friscoboater) to restore his thread, however his youtube videos are all in tact on youtube

I would build a cradle and pull the cap. much easier than dealing with the cap on .

Hauger

Seaman
That's all great stuff, thanks for the replies. It is annoying about the photobucket issue, hopefully the original poster can restore his past threads eventually. I didn't see any youtube links but I'm searching now.

I'll take pics and share what I find as I go. I'm excited for the project, I think if/when everything is fixed and back together it'll be a beautiful boat again. Just nervous about making expensive mistakes.