SeaRay, 1984, 260E, Express Cruiser... Information Request!

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
Hello there all, it has been quite the busy and enjoyable summer, SO FAR. (Up here in these Northern Climates, we don't even THINK about thinking about 'season's end'.... just a continuation of fun)

We've been down on the boat pretty much every day, and I won't deny that the first few months after launching were almost all work. This past few weeks, we've simply be enjoying the boat, and going for cruises, and fishing, and even living on it for a few straight days. All of this, is the reason I haven't been here, or logged in in a while. All's good, right?

Now, to the point of my question. Last winter, I contacted the wonderful SeaRay company, and asked them for a build-sheet and any/all information that they can give me regarding the spec's of my boat. I got the boat used, last spring, from my Best Man. In quite poor condition "running/useability" type.

The hull, the cabin, the upholstery and whatnot all seems/seemed to be intact and good. It was obvious that the previous owner didn't have a clue as to what end of a screwdriver did the work! And by that, I do mean "his previous owner", because my Best Man got it in this condition, somewhat.

The wonderful SeaRay company had absolutely NOTHING to do with information regarding my boat. I had given them the serial number, and all the descriptors I could, to no avail. I wasn't even asking for "my particular" boat... just anything along the same lines of construction, so that I had a place to start.

The wonderful SeaRay company claims that "they ain't got nuthin', and all records have been destroyed". Wow, sorta sounds like a movie plot, when the DEA, FBI, and SPCA have the place surrounded and they're having a shredding party inside! :D

So I ask ya, one and any and all, does there exist out there in anyone's hands, any kind of manual/schematic/build sheet for the actual construction of a 260EC?

Here's a simple reason, right off the start: Last night, the fridge died. Now, when we got the boat, he was kind enough to tell us that "it is a brand-new fridge" and I'll be honest in saying that I didn't even look at it, cause A) I can trust my Best Man, right? B) I'm somewhat handicapped and can't bend worth crap to get down and 'inspect', and C) I was busy looking at important'er things like the drive, controls, etc.

Only to find out later, that it wasn't a proper fridge at all. It is a simple/cheap wine-cooler from wallmart that doesn't even have a freezer and is obviously only 120v. I brought this up to his attention, when I learned that fact, and shall we say that this is where the divide started.

So, I need to know the cupboard face to hull dimensions, and the requirements of what should actually be in there? I'm going to say that I've got a little bit of refridgeration background, (small bit) and have to assume that the compressor in a proper fridge is designed differently that one which is intended to remain flat and stable. Right? This rocking and rolling isn't good for them.

Also, under the Pilot and Co-Pilot's seats, there is a very wide but short 'storage compartment', but underneath those seems to be a somewhat sealed area down to the hull. Is this floatation, or partly fuel tank? The very little portion of fuel tank that I can see does not equate to the 100 gallon tank that is supposed to be in there. I can only assume that the tank extends somewhat over the stringers,,, but I don't know. Again, I can't climb in/around in there very well at all. I just don't want to be putting a screw in the wrong place.

With regards to wiring, a lot of the wires seem to 'disappear' and I can only assume that it is between the hull/deck interface, when originally being assembled. I've had to replace some wires already, and am going to be totally re-doing the helm due to the fact that so much of the plastic is broken, the glass-tube fuse body's are broken, and I'm wanting to put in another circuit or two. Looking for a custom 'illuminated name' panel making thingy so that all the switches are identifiable in the dark.

So, here's a few pic's, and I can take more. Much work has been done, and I can take "recent'er" pics if anyone wants to see anything specific.

What says you?

Attachments

• photo275553.jpg
    photo275553.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo275554.jpg
    photo275554.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo275555.jpg
    photo275555.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo275556.jpg
    photo275556.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo275557.jpg
    photo275557.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo275558.jpg
    photo275558.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Boat companies don't have records like car companies do, and anything from 1984 would be paper files, so even if they had any they would be stored away in a building someplace unknown to anyone working there now. Plus, Sea Ray had plants all over the country, so any paper work would have most likely been located at a plant that no longer exists. And there's no value to them in keeping plans for a 30+ year old boat.

​To go even further, none of the stuff in the boat other than the deck and hull are made by Sea Ray, it's all aftermarket stuff, the brand of many items may change at anytime. Even boats made on the same day may have different dimensions and equipment.

​What it means you just need to dig in and measure stuff you want to replace, then run new wires if needed.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your looking for information on a 33 year old boat. most records are only kept for a few years after the model is out of waranty. your boat has a 20 year design life, so expect that it will be a major re-hab project

the construction information on boats is less sophisticated than you think or want to believe. most was done on the shop floor with a napkin sketch at best and a pile of parts. the floor crew has the guidelines from the engine manufacturer as well as the glass provider, etc. items such as upholstery were done in-house by someone in the cabinet shop and the upholstery shop. items such as horns, glass, lights, wipers, etc. are all provided by the lowest bidder with the minimal amount of information.

the fuel tank would be center mounted.

could be flotation

search the forums for similar searay threads to find out your stringer layout, or spring $250 for an FLIR camera and take a look in the morning.

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
Yes ondarvr, this is what I'm learning. Hence why I'm asking 'out there' if anyone would happen to have anything? I forgot to mention the online 'users manual' which has a VERY POOR wiring schematic. I've been trying to work with that too, but it is also a generic design and not everything is applicable and/or located as such, in our boat.

I'm hoping there are other pack-rats such as myself that kept things, thinking one day I might need this..... not unlike my service manuals for the cars and trucks that I've had in the 70's and 80's. Don't hurt to ask, right? Where better to pose the question?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I edited my first post a bit.

​They didn't have detailed manuals for boats back then or even now, it's just generic stuff, none of the info would be relevant to what you're trying to do. That's just the way it is.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the "manual" on a boat is the safety brochure indicating that the pointy end is the bow and the square end is the stern and the round thing you hold on to is the steering wheel. they also list their servicing dealers

it is, however usually packaged with the motor/drive operations manual and the stereo manual.

as for wiring, there would be 3-4 electricians all working on the floor at any given day. each would wire the boat slightly different.

think less of it as a boat, think more of it as an adventure

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
And now, ondarvr, the rest of your post just appeared. I get what you're saying, and kinda had that suspicion, but truly had NO IDEA it was that bad, and to that extent. I'll ask this then, also. Are all boat manufacturers like this? Now, back then, or both? I don't have enough experience with other brands to know, and truly had a higher regard for certain brands than I probably should.

First project for me, is to figure out a way of measuring the cavity for the fridge, and going from there. If there's any type of upgrade/advancement that I can put in there, for my benefit, I'm sure looking at doing that. Funds considering, of course. A "roll out" fridge would be fantastic, instead of a swinging door.

Can anyone say anything to compressor design for marine applications, or am I off my nut? Logic tells me that there should be. Logic ALSO tells me that a 'brand new' wine cooler should last longer than a year, too. Is that a boat thing, or simply a walmart thing?

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
HaHaHaHaHa,,, all this cross-typing/cross-posting is everyone saying the same thing, at the same time. Excellent. Thank you gentlemen,,,, I'm seeing the mud more clearly now.

I truly had a higher regard, for a "name brand" that I simply shouldn't have. So I'm basically free to do what I want, how I want, and where I want.... as long as the bilge-pump "output" is higher than the leakage/seepage "input", eh?

Little nautical humor there,,,, I know,,, very little. :D

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There may be a bit more info available for current boats, but options and designs can change on a daily basis on the production floor, there's still a great deal of it that's left up to the person doing the work, and the availability of the equipment used.

Now they have actual pre-made wiring harnesses that run through the boat in about the same place each time, plus pre-made molded FG components where in the past they used plywood and assembled the shapes one by one on the shop floor or in the boat. The problem would still be in getting any kind of drawing or schematic from someone at the company, they may not have any access to the files, only a few people in engineering and on the shop floor might have it.

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah, that is why I was wondering if someone here, as in an actual boat owner, might have such information. Getting anything from the company has been/was an epic failure. I was simply hoping to come across another happy customer from years gone by, whom had the inclination and foresight to keep such information.

All I could do is ask, and hope.

Going down to the boat here shortly, to relax, as well as take some measurements of the fridge cavity. Whomever removed the original fridge, seems to have disconnected the "electrical box" from the back of the fridge, so there is all kinds of wiring/circuitry do-dads, as well as the two main lines that run back to the batteries. I wonder if that is of any use to me, at all?

I know what I don't know, and I don't know this. Which is why I know to ask.....