Moving the tank

Duke1992lx

Cadet
Mark Twain 17/18 ft 6cyl I/O. (unkown model and year)

I will be replacing the stringers (3) which brings me to the fuel tank.
Currently it sits pretty high in the bow & looks pretty small. When I replace he stringers can I remove the center section of the middle stringer to add a larger tank? Using the other 2 as a box to control side to side motion as well as the rest of the center section to act as a brace for for & aft motion?

Duke1992lx

Cadet
No Title

Only 1 bad pic. Half of the floor was already removed.

Attachments

• photo275442.JPG
    photo275442.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
I think (just thinking) if you remove the center keel board, and then put some more layers of mat and resin, then foam in the tank with 4 pound (not 2 pound) foam, it should be good.

Duke1992lx

Cadet
4 lb because of it's rigidity? Thinking maybe just remove part of the main stringer & still use the foam. Thank you. For your input.

chevymaher

Commander
My boats tank in in the center. It has a very short keel stringer with a 1/2 inch board over it horizontally then filled with foam. Floor of the tank compartment. I am sure the horizontal cover and foam add to the rigidity. Four winns just really laid thick glass on the short stringer. And alot of chopped strand from the center stringer to the next outside stringers for strength.

Just a idea. Mimic boats that have the set up your wanting.