Rub Rail Leak on 2016 Boat that shop doesn't seem to want to bother with....

chicy724

Cadet
Hello!
We have a 2016 Hurricane deck boat that we discovered water coming out of the rear decorative trim, located under the outboard motor. For the longest time we had no idea where it was coming from. However, I suspect it is the rub rail because we had a new custom cover made and had a super heavy rain storm ALL DAY which water started getting through the cover, and the rub rail was soaked underneath.. water was leaking through our tell-tale decorative trim. I unseal the bottom corners of the rear trim so that water can come out, and take a shop-vac to it to help the process along. It's ridiculous, honestly. I tripled my boat budget to buy new so that I didn't have to worry about problems for a long time.. and here we are!

We are working with a shop for warranty work which is supposed to be investigating this, doing gel coat work and repairing seats.
However, when I bring up this leak they basically tell me it isn't really an issue and that I could run the boat without the rub rail just fine so water getting in there is not an issue. When I dropped it off yesterday for them to get working on the gel coat, we discussed the plan for the trim. Basically they're going to pull off the trim, clean it up underneath and load it up with caulk.... a band-aid fix that I worry may even make it worse.

I asked them if we can re-seal the rub rail as I think that is where it gets in from. Their genera response twice now is that it involves this, that, and the other and a full day of work. Basically they don't want to mess with it. But we should be covered by warranty so what is the problem? The manufacturer is aware of our issue and advised us to get it fixed. I am limited on where I can have the boat worked on under warranty and this shop is basically the only one in my area aside from another one that royally messed up and I will never go back there again.

At this point, I don't know what to do. I am really p'd off with boat shops around here, and very frustrated and annoyed. I feel like an annoying broken record and the shop only really seems interested in the gel coat work.. and that is what all of my conversations with them focus on despite my efforts to focus on this leak.
If sealing the rub rail entails unscrewing, sealing and screwing in the screws all along the rub rail I can do that. I shouldn't have to, but I will. If it requires removing it and messing with the joint and all that, I am not comfortable doing that. But apparently I cannot find an approved shop that will do that.

Attachments

• photo275376.jpg
    photo275376.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Basically they don't want to mess with it. But we should be covered by warranty so what is the problem? The manufacturer is aware of our issue and advised us to get it fixed.

Ayuh,.... I guess you should be talkin' to the Oem, 'n not that shop,....

chicy724

Cadet
Ayuh,.... I guess you should be talkin' to the Oem, 'n not that shop,....

Thanks.. that was going to be my next step.. I have my contact there I will call and explain it all again and see what they tell me to do. I was also going to call the service manager at the place we bought it from.. and I am contemplating the need to drive it 6 hours back to the original dealer. I have spoken with our sales person about it and he spoke with his service manager. They've both never heard of this issue and originally told me maybe it was from water splashing up the engine well. I don't think that is the case.