"It Happened!" Transom has to be replaced! (NOW W/PICS)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yes start a new post in the mercruiser forum, you WILL get an answer there. When I redid the Carver I did that, then linked the answer to the main thread.

so
  1. ask here (which you already did)
  2. create thread in whatever forum is appropriate
  3. discuss there
  4. get answer
  5. link thread to here.

LX Kid

Ensign
yes start a new post in the mercruiser forum, you WILL get an answer there. When I redid the Carver I did that, then linked the answer to the main thread.

so
  1. ask here (which you already did)
  2. create thread in whatever forum is appropriate
  3. discuss there
  4. get answer
  5. link thread to here.

Good idea. I'll give that a try. Thanks

LX Kid

Ensign
Coldest day since 1981. 29 degrees and is 19 with the wind chill. I thought I was in Florida but maybe I had better check my map! Moved here from S.D. trying to escape freezing weather and it found me! Staying indoors today.

Cold .jpeg

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Same here. I thought I lived in the Deep South. Was 18 the last 2 nights, but will be in the 70's this weekend.

LX Kid

Ensign
I just went out in the "freezing cold" and removed the bolt assy. Here's a pic, minus the spring, cause I dropped it in the grass and will have to look for it tomorrow. Pretty sure the collar goes between the link and pilot arm and the spring would go under the pilot arm followed by a washer, nut and cotter pin. Anyway I think I'll give it a try and put the motor back inside the boat.

1/19/18 UPDATE: Found the spring! Thought everyone might be sitting on the edge of their seat for that bit of information! LoL

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180118_173210_resized.jpg Views:	3 Size:	762.8 KB ID:	10530287

Last edited:

LX Kid

Ensign
Hey
Lost track of you with the new website changes. How's it going with the project?

Been kicking back and laying low! LoL Cold weather moved in and gave me the "excuse" to do nothing. Got a little more motivated recently by re-working the engine compartment wiring and getting prepared to put the engine back in next week.

LX Kid

Ensign
Just when I thought I had finished all the wiring in the engine bay, my buddy said "where is your starter solenoid?" Dang he really popped my bubble!" "And" I hadn't re-installed the bilge pump.

I re-installed bilge pump and ordered a new starter relay off eBay cause I looked everywhere for the old one and couldn't find it. Tomorrow I hope to re-install the "Y-tube".

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Gasparilla is next weekend, so no work will get done that weekend with debauchery on Saturday and the hang-over on Sunday, other than that, no excuses on the weather for the next 10 days

LX Kid

Ensign
Gasparilla is next weekend, so no work will get done that weekend with debauchery on Saturday and the hang-over on Sunday, other than that, no excuses on the weather for the next 10 days

Never been to Gasparilla and probably never will. It all happens about a mile from my house. My Grand daughter, 12 years old, was going to the kids Gasparilla last weekend and even she decided to go skating instead.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have to at least go once. I have been there 3 times. it was a blast all 3 times.

plenty of boats with 'wenches and debauchery in the water. some with even live cannon fire

i even made a bead launching cannon using a dive tank and primary regulator, added a secondary regulator and gauge, and I can launch bead neclaces 45' in a graceful arc up to people on shore at 40 psi. if I turn the pressure up, the neclace will go about 150', however the beads come off...... that setting is better for backyard grape fights.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i want to drag the boat down for Gasparilla once, alas this year will not be the year. I'll be in town around the 16th for a week or so might let yall buy me a beer.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Seems like this thread has died off. You ever get your boat finished?

LX Kid

Ensign
i guess I just ran out of steam. As long as I had a couple of co-owners things could happen pretty quickly with their help. Everything is ready to re-assemble by putting the "Y" tube on first, then engine back in and align with gimbal assembly, putting new upper and lower seals in the outdrive and install back onto the gimbal assembly. After I bought my two co-owners out I just lost strenght to finish it. Sooo as it happens it's on Tampa Craigslist right now for $4000. Two people could finish it and back on the water in a week, of spare time, but my "get-up-and-go" just "got-up-and-went" somewhere else I guess. Thanks for your interest and asking about it.

​​​​​​https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/6608072539.html

Attachments

• 20171015_102414_resized (1).jpg
    20171015_102414_resized (1).jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20180613_173123_resized.jpg
    20180613_173123_resized.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Well it must be disappointing to work so hard and not see it completed. I've followed this thread from the beginning and suppose I'm a little disappointed as well. I sure get that "being to old" part of the equation. I'm 63 and have many days where age and issues add up to not being very energetic. I'm not complaining, just saying. FWIW, the work you shared has I'm sure helped some folks here and at the same time been fun to follow. So, I wish you luck with whatever comes along.
Regards