Stuck spreader pin in steering pin!

Mate Matthew

Cadet
I have a 1970 mercruiser with the type 1 outdrive. I do not believe this unit has ever been disassembled since I had to cut the round holes up top to access the nut on the steering arm. Now the problem is the spreder screw/pin is frozen in place up in the steering pin. The bolt on the outside of the gimbal ring is also stuck and of course head is stripped out! I'm trying to reuse gimbal ring and gimbal, so any help would be greatly appreciated!! This is the first boat I've owned and would really like to see it out on the water.

alldodge

Staff member
If I understand you correctly, you have drilled the holes in the top of the transom assembly and are trying to get the gimbal ring out. As in this pic

alpha.jpg

If this is the case, it would be best to remove the motor since the yoke arm will not come off, otherwise you need a chisel and heat. Be very carful with heat don't want you to burn the boat down

Mate Matthew

Cadet
Motor is out, rebuiding that. No nut on top of steering pin, spreader pin and bolt in front of gimbal ring are all that's holding the steering pin in, as steering arm bolt is loose.

alldodge

Staff member
With transom plate removed can you get a tie rod separator in enough? The issue with the separator is it can apply a lot of force and the yoke arm can take it, but the housing is cast aluminum.

tie.jpg