My transom is rotton

Angryboater8620

Recruit
I just recently bought a 1989 procraft pro flip that I thought was in good shape but it its my first outboard. It was leaking and after investigating I found rotted wood in the transom. I heard of seacast through this site and began to clean out the rotted wood but is extremely difficult. Does anyone know of a product that I can use that I wouldn't necessarily need to get ALL of the wood fibers out in order to pour???

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Have you checked the deck and stringers? More than likely they'll have issues as well

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
As Woodonglass eluded to. If tour transom is rotten, so are your stringers and bulkheads

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Not the news anyone wants to hear, but many of us learn this lesson the hard way. Good luck and welcome to iboats.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: . . . Angry boater.

I guess they saw you coming :) Many folks buy a boat only to find out it has big problems. You will have to take out all the bad/wet stuff, because the wood holds water and that will prevent the pour-in stuff from bonding.

As the others have stated, rarely is the rot limited to what you first see/think. Best to check the rest of the structure.

We will help you through the anger management on this 'project'.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard Angryboater8620. Always good to have a new member...

I realize this isn't any consolation, but you are not the first or will be the last to have bought a boat only to find out it needs a lot of work to make it sound and solid, but more importantly, safe!

And as previously stated, if your transom is rotted, you have more rot that you haven't discovered yet. More then likely, the stringers and floor are gone as well. But don't get too excited, you joined the best boating site to get help fixing your boat. It is not going to be a piece of cake, but it is doable and lots of iboaters have done so with great success.

So first things is to calm down and start taking tons of pictures of everything from every angle. And also measure everything and plot your measurements on a hand sketched drawing for later use.

Post a few pictures of what you have and let iboaters see what you are dealing with and let's get this fixed. JMHO

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
I just got finished putting a transom in Ross Perot's deck boat, its really not that big of a deal. Pictures.. Lots and lots of pictures and we all can help advise you on how to proceed (if needed)