Captain's chair pedestal screws loose.

dmichaud2

Cadet
I have a 2001 Four Winns Horizon 180 and the screws that hold the seat pedestal to the deck are lose and the holes appear to be stripped out as there of the screws will no long tighten up. I had hoped there was easy access to the under side and I could just replace the screws with bolts with good washers and move on. There however is no access (see pics).

I am looking for advice on how to remedy this problem. Do the screws just screw into the fiberglass deck or are there captive nuts down there?

Suggestions?

Attachments

• photo273137.jpg
    photo273137.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 4

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a few things you can do.

the screws have long since pulled out the GRP and the core material. you can either make a small threaded backer plate, out of about 1/4" stainless with tapped holes. then carefully cut a thin slot in the top of the stringer, slide it into position and screw it down..

make a larger diameter plate, screw it to the deck as well as secure with 3M 5200, then screw the chair to the plate

repair the fiberglass holes by epoxying in slugs of fiberglass rod

dmichaud2

Cadet
Are the original screws just into the fiberglass? If I use some rod could I expect roughly the same hold strength as it had to start with?