keel dripping

xltier

Chief Petty Officer
I have noticed that my keel has a few very small drips of water when on the trailer after a boat trip.i have checked the rivets and they seem tight and the seams seems ok.is there something I can spred-roll-brush-what ever on all the rivets and seams to seal it all permanetly.maybe a fiberglass resin in a couple layers??. it is a 1986 starcraft islander boat.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Find where the water is coming from 1st.

Wholesale coverage of the hull, esp w fiberglass resin (epoxy or polyester), isnt a good solution.

If you get under the boat while its on the trailer and look at the applied chine rails. The applied wedges that run foreward along the bottom of the hull, at the corner of the hull bottom/sides, and the spray rail. They should all have a couple 1/8in holes in them. They are applied to a continoua 1piece hull, and not sealed water tight to the hull. Any water that gets in, needs to get out, hence the holes.

Possibly thats where your water drops are coming from, but it could also be leaking rivets so you need to get under the boat and check..

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Have you looked inside the boat to see if there's water in the bilge?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can re-seat the rivets and then use Gluv-it or Coat-it to seal them further if needed. You just need to find them first.

xltier

Chief Petty Officer
it is a spot on the forward end about 2/3 the way up front. The pointed V- keel TURNS TO A FLATTER PIECE OF ALUMINUM.there is a small space between the 2 pieces.about a 1/4 inch.lots of rivets there and they appear tight.how would you ever get to the other side of them if they were loose?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
it is a spot on the forward end about 2/3 the way up front. The pointed V- keel TURNS TO A FLATTER PIECE OF ALUMINUM.there is a small space between the 2 pieces.about a 1/4 inch.lots of rivets there and they appear tight.how would you ever get to the other side of them if they were loose?

Some just repeat something they've heard or read.

You can't repair a leaking aluminum riveted boat from the outside alone, well not for very long anyway. Smearing fiberglass or any other goop on the outside of your SC's hull is a very bad idea, it will fail. A 30+ year old SC riveted boat is probably showing her age inside and out. It might be time for a rebuild on her, or at least a gut job of the wood, foam and rivet/hull repairs.

xltier

Chief Petty Officer
I see,that's to bad then because I just replaced the floor and it appeared to me that the hull and foam was in good condition.I should have checked for leaks first.i tried to post pictures but it kept saying the file was to large.not very good at that I guess.