Pedestal Seat Base keeps pulling out......

clattin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had the floor of my 1989 Chris Craft Scorpion 196 BR replaced a couple of summers ago and the guy did a TERRIBLE job (out of business now...no surprise). Anyway, the passenger pedestal seat base keeps pulling up out of the floor. Last year, I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood the fits on the bottom of the base and I used a BUNCH of deck screws to attach that to the floor and then screwed the base onto that 3/4" piece. Now the 3/4" base I made is even pulling up from the plywood floor. He obviously used too thin of plywood for the floor.

How would you guys suggest a secure way to attach that 3/4" base "plate" I made down to the floor? Lag screws? A toggle style wall anchor? The pedestal base is staying secured to the 3/4" piece I made but it keeps pulling up from the floor.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Chris

jbcurt00

Staff member
How about a pix or 3 of the boat deck (floor) and pulled up seat base.

The extra 3/4plywood probably needs to be glassed to the deck, not screwed.

If you arent using a sealant on every screw hole, the wood is probably loosing its grip on the screw threads..... But simply screwing 1 to the other and screwing it to the deck is insufficient long term anyway

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sound like you floor is rotted. And like jbcurt00 stated above, you can't just drill holes and put screws in. Water can easily get into any screw hole that wasn't sealed with a quality sealer like 3M 5200. But it may be too later to get it to work now. If there is any carpet around the base, I would take everything off, remove the carpet and see what the floor actually looks like. And post some pictures so we can see what you are working with. Then we can offer the better idea to get you back on the water. JMHO

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Did you inspect the underside of the floor and the stringers before the guy installed a new piece of plywood ? If he used 1/2 " ply and didn't put a bunch of screws in the piece you put down I could see where it would pull loose . As the others have said grinding off the gell coat to good glass and using thickened resin and tabbing to floor would be your best bet for a secure pedestal pad .. You MUST seal all penetrations going into the new deck or you'll end up with another rotten deck in no time ..