Taking on water. But from where?

Bennykek

Recruit
Hello. So I've been having some motor issues but that isn't the cause of my current concern. I have a 1992 200 Horizon Four Winns with the omc king cobra 5.8 spitfire. I was able to finally take it out today and run it around for a few hours . Drain plug in! I opened up motor compartment and saw water so instantly turned on bilge and headed for home. The only other fishy think that seemed weird was the heat of the water also. Ik the motor would warm it up but it was fairly hot and my motor came to about 415 degrees Fahrenheit. Once out of the water I pulled the plug and waited almost 7 mins for all the water to come out!! I was very alarmed but am very confused, the hull looks great with no physical soft spots I can find along length of the V. The plug was tight and the transom looks well sealed. My thought was many the water was somehow from my exhaust and cooling. I don't know if that's possible or if there's a old trick I just don't know. Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

boatman37

Lieutenant
sounds like engine water. broken/cracked hose? cracked block? core plug leaking? could be many things. going to have to hook up the muffs and fire it up to see where it is coming from. not sure how you saw 415* on the engine as i have never seen a gauge that will read that high. maybe you meant 215? if it truly was 415 then i'd say your engine is likely done too but i doubt it was that high.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

+1 on the water coming from the engine, since it was warm/hot. Hoping you meant 215 degrees F, not 415 . . .

The best way to find a leak is to look. So while on the trailer, hooked up to a garden hose (a La ear muffs) and with the plug out . . . run the engine and look for leaks.

Be careful doing this while the engine is running. You can shut it off and quickly look as water will most likely still be coming from the source. Use your iPhone to take pictures in places that are tough to see, etc.