1972 glastron v156 restoration

tuttleboat

Recruit
I have sistered two stringers with butt joints and 3/4 inch plates expoxied and clamped together, no screws. Should I wrap with 1708 and epoxy before encapsulating in glass ? I have coated the stringers in epoxy to waterproof. Open to suggestions

tpenfield

Staff member
Since you started with epoxy, you will need to continue with epoxy. If you try to use regular poly resin for the fiberglassing over epoxy, the poly resin will not cure, due to amine blush.

​I think encapsulating the stringer in glass will be fine, but if you want to wrap it, sure have at it.

tuttleboat

Recruit
Thank You Ted,

Being a newbie at this I'm trying to make sure I do it right. SO since I've coated with penetrating epoxy, from what you said I should tab the new stringers to the hull with epoxy and CSM ? Epoxy and 1708 ? Im guessing the epoxy will adhere to the fiberglass hull when sanded/ground, Also Ive read WoodonGlass posts about fiberglass/poly layups recommending coats of CSM and 1708, then capped with CSM. Same process with epoxy or no ? Thank you so much for the help.

tuttleboat

Recruit
Ok guys I have the new stringers bedded in PB, I did a wash on my stringers/bulkheads with soap and water to eliminate the Amine blush before I tab and encapsulate them in Poly/CSM/1708.

I want to fix some holes the previous owner made in the hull driving screws through the old deck in an attempt to avoid replacing it. In doing some reading Im seeing a divide ....... people saying Poly and CSM aren't durable, use epoxy, another group that wont use epoxy because Gelcoat wont adhere, and poly is durable ...... I need some more input from people that have done this before.

In addition there are two spots on this hull where it loos like the boat took a good shot but the damage didn't break through, just to the woven level, again I need advice on whether to repair with Poly or Epoxy, Thank you in advance for any advice and guidance

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It makes little difference in which resin you use, but you can't mix and match, when you start with one type you should use it for the entire job.

​Polyester does not bond well to epoxy, and not at all unless you grind it thoroughly, so, if you used epoxy on the stringers, then just washed them with soap and water, there is virtually no bond to the epoxy.

​You should stop now and read the many hundreds of threads here on the subject, then make a plan and restart the project.

tuttleboat

Recruit
All I did with the epoxy is glue the joints and coat the stringers to improve water resistance. But if Im understanding you correctly I will now have to tab the new stringers to the hull with epoxy and 1700/1708 ? Thank you , I will look for the articles/threads

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
When you start with epoxy, 100% of everything you do after that needs to be epoxy.

tuttleboat

Recruit
ok good to know, I was under the impression if you got rid of the anime blush and sanded that the Poly resin would adhere to it. I guess I'm going to buy another gallon of epoxy and some extra 1708 and start tabbing my repairs to the hull and transom. Might turn out to be a stronger repair , just a slower project with the added cure times. Thanks again

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Don't do anything until you read a dozen or so threads here on the subject.

tpenfield

Staff member
It is hard to say if you get rid of all of the amine blush from epoxy. . . so that is why people advise to say with one resin type rather than switching.

1708 on the stringer tabbing. there is not much strength to CSM as compared to 1708

+1 on reading through threads of folks that have gone before you. It will answer many questions in advance.