Southern Maryland Tolman Jumbo Build [Splashed 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Awesome, me and some friends go with a guy in early to mid April. He has an old 36' repurposed mine boat. We put out 19 lines and troll baby troll.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yep, rockfish trolling. I plan to tuna fish next year after some safety gear purchases.

very nice rig out!
I have a question for you. The full height splashwell, do you get a lot of water over the transom. I like the design just don't like losing the space. I know I have to do something along those lines. From you're experience.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Awesome, me and some friends go with a guy in early to mid April. He has an old 36' repurposed mine boat. We put out 19 lines and troll baby troll.

That's a lot of lines. See you out there next Spring!

very nice rig out!
I have a question for you. The full height splashwell, do you get a lot of water over the transom. I like the design just don't like losing the space. I know I have to do something along those lines. From you're experience.

I doubt that splashwell will ever have water come over and if it does there are 2" scupper holes to clear the deck. I haven't had it out in anything worse than 2 to 3 foot chesapeake bay chop. That is worse than it sounds but not anything near what it would take for a stern wave. This boat just bobs up and I think it would take a wave actually breaking/crashing over the stern.

I haven't caught a big enough fish to back down yet, but from my experience on a friends Jumbo water doesn't come over the splashwell. I did cut out 2" splashwell holes.

I like the full height and makes me feel safer, gives me a place to put the 2 stroke oil tank and gas/water filter.

--dave

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Dave, you got this together in an impressively short period of time. It's a beautiful, practical boat for your purposes and I love the simplicity of your interior layout. Great score on the power.

A shorter jumbo is on my list of things to do in the next few years and seeing you guys do it solo is pretty inspiring. Thanks for the photos and videos.

Andy

cj8mule

Dave, you got this together in an impressively short period of time. It's a beautiful, practical boat for your purposes and I love the simplicity of your interior layout. Great score on the power.

A shorter jumbo is on my list of things to do in the next few years and seeing you guys do it solo is pretty inspiring. Thanks for the photos and videos.

Andy

Thank you Andy. I have to say the Jumbo build was more fun and actually easier in a lot of ways than rebuilding the chieftain. I have an estimated 900 hours in this build and if remembering correctly I had 400 or 500 in the chieftain.

It would have been fun to have some help building the Jumbo, but help is not necessary. You can always find a way to 'get r done' with hoists, jacks, screws, deadmen, etc. I will encourage you to build that shorter Jumbo... and to start right now! One of my only regrets is waiting around a year before pulling the trigger to start.

I spent the majority of that 900 hours on the hull itself while upside down on the jig. I knew once she was flipped over that I would never want to crawl under and do anything. The hull is very straight and true... most of any mistakes are around the cabin. (There is one spot on the hull side above the water line) Most people don't even see the mistakes and so what if they do.... It's only a fishing boat anyway and if something bothers me bad enough I'll strip some paint off and mix up some fairing compound. It's that easy Andy! So, go source out some ply and give ebond a call and 'get r done'.

Oh,,,, and keep your chief so you can take a break out on the water with that beautiful Admiral of yours!

--dave

cj8mule

6 weeks later and $500 poorer.... but Maryland DNR gave me a title and registration!

Just in time to put it up for winter. LOL Hopefully, I'll find some good enough weather to get out there some before the season closes december 15th. :joyous:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You can stop looking over your shoulder for flashing lights. LOL

Guessing most of the 500 bucks is taxes? But you're legal and that's good! :thumb:

cj8mule

It was almost all tax.... another $100 today for the trailer tax... lol

Maryland is an expensive state that's for sure. When we moved here a few years ago, it cost me over $2000 in taxes and fees to just put plates on 3 vehicles.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Death and taxes ..right. So on a nother note hows the bite going on up there about now?

oldrem

Commander
I am absolutely in awe of this build. You are a true craftsman.

cj8mule

kcassells-- The bite is a little off where I'm at. We're trailering down south in the morning in search for some bigger fish. I almost headed to Ocean City, but changed my mind.... Thought I would get a few more safety items before heading out into the Atlantic.

oldrem-- Anyone can build one of these boats with the right kind of determination. I used very few tools and could probably build another one in 500 or so hours. Anyone want to buy this one for 30K??? lol.

--dave

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
oldrem-- Anyone can build one of these boats with the right kind of determination. I used very few tools and could probably build another one in 500 or so hours. Anyone want to buy this one for 30K??? lol.

--dave

After the amount of time and effort, I would have a hard time letting go of her.... But then again, for the right price everything is for sale :D

cj8mule

I haven't updated in a while. Christmas was very nice and I guess the lump of coal went to some other poor smuck... cause Santa brought me some new electronics for the Jumbo.

I ended up with 2 Garmin 840's, radar, and heading sensor. This allows me to overlay radar onto the maps on either unit and share data.

I was going to do a wood radar mount, but chose to do it out of aluminum.

Attachments

• photo283565.jpg
    photo283565.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey looking good on the Tolman and have you been by both the SOTY pages?

cj8mule

Hey looking good on the Tolman and have you been by both the SOTY pages?

Yes, I'm torn between the Jet and the Chief, but all three look great! I'm really partial to Ned's old wood boat. Man! he did a lot of work.

--dave

GA_Boater

I think you made a good choice with the AL radar mount. Looks good!

You're ready for the big water. :D

cj8mule

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this. We went fishing yesterday for Catfish..... total bust. No fish and lots of ice.

--dave

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Says the video was removed by the user. That must be you. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.