'59 Blues Star Islander -- complete restoration needed

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Polishing cast AL can be a loosing endeavor but cleaning any and all corrosion off them is certainly a worthy cause. No matter what they will oxidize again rapidly and turn grey.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Polishing cast AL can be a loosing endeavor but cleaning any and all corrosion off them is certainly a worthy cause. No matter what they will oxidize again rapidly and turn grey.

Even if you seal them with some kind of shark hide or similar ceramic coating? Asking because I'm polishing mine on a similar age aluminum boat at the moment.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Even if you seal them with some kind of shark hide or similar ceramic coating? Asking because I'm polishing mine on a similar age aluminum boat at the moment.

Have fun with what you're doing, the thing is it's all extra maintenance and only a certain few enjoy doing it. I love to have my boat very clean on the inside and no maintenance ever neglected on the motor.

If you cover your boat, that will be rubbing on the end caps and polishing them too as well as removing your clear coating.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Have fun with what you're doing, the thing is it's all extra maintenance and only a certain few enjoy doing it. I love to have my boat very clean on the inside and no maintenance ever neglected on the motor.

If you cover your boat, that will be rubbing on the end caps and polishing them too as well as removing your clear coating.

Didn't think about the cover rubbing, that's a great point.

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I agree that it is a Sisyphean challenge, but I am only going to polish aluminum trim pieces. I will paint the boat. And for now, I like the polishing process. I have great results with other parts, but these end caps are pretty rough due to the casting. I have seen a few videos of motorcycle parts being sanded to remove the casting marks. I may try that approach.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I agree that it is a Sisyphean challenge, but I am only going to polish aluminum trim pieces. I will paint the boat. And for now, I like the polishing process. I have great results with other parts, but these end caps are pretty rough due to the casting. I have seen a few videos of motorcycle parts being sanded to remove the casting marks. I may try that approach.

Sorry to thread jack, but here was one of mine after about 10 minutes and some 100 grit. I think sanding could work for sure.

9MRFBfv.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd recommend a drill powered buffing wheel and Some Mothers Aluminum polish. worked GREAT for me.
MOT-05100_xl.jpg

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Woodonglass. I have had great luck with a bench buffer wheel with white compound on most parts. Below is a rail part (unfortunately from the burnt out Lone Star) that came out well. Unfortunately the end caps don't polish this well. Which I think is from the rough casting. I think you're right hvymtl939 about starting with 100 grit and working my way up.

FullSizeRender-2_1.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Woodonglass. I have had great luck with a bench buffer wheel with white compound on most parts. Below is a rail part (unfortunately from the burnt out Lone Star) that came out well. Unfortunately the end caps don't polish this well. Which I think is from the rough casting. I think you're right hvymtl939 about starting with 100 grit and working my way up.

WOW! That looks amazing. Great work. Are you putting any kind of clear coat or sealer on top?

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was thinking of protectaclear (amazon), diamond clear (Eastwood), or sharkhide. But open to advice...