1974 Sea Ray SRV 240 Weekender - complete rebuild, refit, and who knows what else...

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will be interested in how it looks dark blue. I like the idea of changing colors, just worry that it looks good on paper but not in practice.

Are you shooting the paint or using roll and tip?

Using the "roll and roll" technique as recommended by WOG for my other boat. Works great!

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Woke up yesterday morning, looked out the window, and saw this:

snow.JPG

Seems like I'm done any glassing for this season! The white stuff was all gone by noon, but I guess it's time to remove the canvas and get the tarp over it for the winter...

chevymaher

Commander
Woke up yesterday morning, looked out the window, and saw this:
The white stuff was all gone by noon, but I guess it's time to remove the canvas and get the tarp over it for the winter...

Scaring me we had ice on the windsheild the last 3 mornings. It is coming this way.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A light frost one day this week and that’s about it. I’m about an hour and a half west of Toronto. I’m lucky the wife is letting me use the garage this winter. Installing heaters this weekend ;)

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
A light frost one day this week and that’s about it. I’m about an hour and a half west of Toronto. I’m lucky the wife is letting me use the garage this winter. Installing heaters this weekend ;)

My garage is warm (I have a gas furnace in there) - but not big enough to fit that boat in it. I did most of the restoration of my smaller boat over the winter a couple of years ago in there. My son's Vette restoration is taking up the garage now...

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been a long time since I posted anything here. It’s been just as long since I did anything on the boat either. Snow all appears to be gone, so there is some hope I can get going at it again soon!

Was a tough fall and winter for us - trying to manage aging parents, so no time to do the things I wanted to even in the garage.

Good to see the progress others are making on their boats though!

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Welcome back :) Looking forward to see you back at it. It is nice to see the snow gone. And extended forecast looks good as well. I’m planning to get my boat on the trailer next weekend. Then take it for a drive down the hwys to get all the dust out ;)

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the tarp off of the boat, the canvas top back on, and moved it into a better position to work on (away from the fence) - that was a couple of weeks ago, and of course it started raining by the time I was putting the roof on the boat.

Anyway, once it was positioned, this is how it looked...

top_view.jpg

And yes... my back yard is really that close to the train tracks!

Got one side of the boat primed last fall before it got too cold/wet, so this is what it was looking like from the front:
front_half_primed.jpg

It was nice day today (finally!) so I got the other side and the transom prepped and primed:
primed.jpg

Then I started removing the paint from the swim platform - first removing the bulk of the paint with a heat gun and scraper, then hitting it with the sander.
platform_paint_removal.jpg

By the time I quit for the day, this is how it looked:
progress.jpg

Feels good to be making some progress again!

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Good to see you back. The swim platform is looking good! Gives me some hope for mine. Are you going to finish it bright?

Cheers.............................Todd

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good to see you back. The swim platform is looking good! Gives me some hope for mine. Are you going to finish it bright?

Cheers.............................Todd

Need to figure out what I'm going to use on the swim platform, but certainly not going to hide the wood under paint!

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Need to figure out what I'm going to use on the swim platform, but certainly not going to hide the wood under paint!

I suggest Teak oil and lots of it at first to soak in real good. Might have to put another coat on every few months.
BEFORE.JPGDURING 2.JPGHPIM1493.JPG .

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I suggest Teak oil and lots of it at first to soak in real good. Might have to put another coat on every few months.

That was actually my first thought. Was wondering how it would hold up getting splashed and wet all the time? I do like the look of oiled teak!