96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
So I popped one of the rocker switches out on my boat today to try and get a part number cuz they are supposed to be black but they are more of a rigor mortise field mouse grey...
after going down a rabbit hole of the internet, I found out they are arco brand switches that were used for a short time on bayliner and maxum boats but I can't find them anywhere now... I don't really care if they look the same but the body of them is unfortunately smaller than most other standard rocker switches...
I'm thinking about trying to just paint them... is this ahorrible idea?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
So I picked me up some o' that PVC board that mickyryan is always goin' on about.. I got some half inch thick stuff to keep it kinda low profile, but since 1/2" is pretty flimsy, I added some stiffening ribs in between where I'm going to screw it in. I'm going to use it for the built in step on the sundeck. I got it all cut out last night by making a plywood template of half the part, then flipped it over and cut it out with a jigsaw. Then I used the template and a bearing guided router bit to trim it to the template... This way the part is perfectly symmetrical which is otherwise tough with curves and such.

I also got my EVA foam in the mail a couple days ago. I'm going to use this to cover the step... I'll show a finished picture when its actually finished lol. I'm hoping to get a lot done this weekend since we will finally have enough nice weather.. I'm also hoping I can find out if my left over resin and gelcoat is still useable. I still need to do some gelcoat repair and I already went thru color matching it last fall, so if I have to buy more, I'm going to have to go thru that process again...

20200430_223518_copy_600x800.jpg20200430_223534_copy_600x800.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup I'm looking forward to when I'm gonna break out my machine and do some work.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry guys, no major updates, just been struggling my face off trying to get my drive back on... I got it where the alignment tool goes in just about by blowing on it, but the drive still won't go...not sure whats going on but I'm about to light my boat on fire lol

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Sorry guys, no major updates, just been struggling my face off trying to get my drive back on... I got it where the alignment tool goes in just about by blowing on it, but the drive still won't go...not sure whats going on but I'm about to light my boat on fire lol

how far in before causing issue

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i had one do that it was the rubber orings causing it they were slightly too big when i compared them to mercury ones couldnt not get them to go inside the bearing for nothing to be able to bolt on it was about a half inch off the bolts

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Not an o-ring issue, I even tried taking the o-ring off and installing the drive with the same result... I forgot to update here, but I did get the drive on... I messed with the front mounts and rear mounts a little more and got the alignment bar to a point between easiest to install and even spline marks... Decided to just go for it and the drive went most of the way and I gave it a calibrated Merkick and it went on the rest of the way pretty easily... I'm honestly thinking theres a chance that the yoke shaft on my drive is slightly out of whack, I couldn't believe how easy the alignment bar went it and the drive wouldn't go...

Anyways, now that its on, I think it will be okay, still need to install a new hose for the lube monitor then I can fill the drive with oil, recheck torque on everything, and I think I'm going to try and fire up the motor this weekend to check everything out...

Thanks for the replies tho... It was super frustrating and I think I tried all the magic tricks I've found to no avail...

I guess worst case situation, if its not close enough, its gonna make my coupler toast, but I honestly think its fine.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Decided to install a remote trim switch at the transom yesterday... This was one of the best things I've ever done lol... I can't believe it took me so long, this is way better than having to climb in and out of the boat to raise and lower the trim when working on stuff. The other nice thing is, I used 10AWG wire and it takes battery power and switches it right to the trim motor, so if a solenoid ever goes bad, then I can still trim up the drive when trailering.. I've seen several people have their trim solenoids crap out on them while trailering at the ramp and didn't know what to do and drug their skegs across the parking lot lol

20200520_184207_copy_600x450.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200520_190734_copy_600x800.jpg
    IMG_20200520_190734_copy_600x800.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 7

cchamp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Found your Youtube videos last night and this thread today. Epiq journey you are on. I'm doing something similar (although not nearly as detailed) with a 2003 Stingray 180LS. I got the party started with a broken starter bolt last spring. Having upholstery done now (no idea how you find time to do this). Anyway- I enjoy the hell out of your videos. Think I'll be doing a carb rebuild in a couple of weeks using them. Thanks for all the knowledge you've put out for consumption.

Last edited: