96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
For those that follow the youtubery stuff, my latest video is up on making fairing compound and wax vs pva experiments... enjoy

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
For those that follow the youtubery stuff, my latest video is up on making fairing compound and wax vs pva experiments... enjoy

Great video... I enjoyed it and learned a lot. :thumb:
I'll just toss one item out for consideration that I've used and like; it's resin based and called Adtech P14. Dries hard and you can sand it in about 10 minutes. Worst part I have is figuring how much hardener to add... it calls for about 50:1 ratio which is hard for me to guesstimate. But I can say it's ready to sand fast and seems to work pretty good. Worth a look imo.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Great video... I enjoyed it and learned a lot. :thumb:
I'll just toss one item out for consideration that I've used and like; it's resin based and called Adtech P14. Dries hard and you can sand it in about 10 minutes. Worst part I have is figuring how much hardener to add... it calls for about 50:1 ratio which is hard for me to guesstimate. But I can say it's ready to sand fast and seems to work pretty good. Worth a look imo.

Yea, that was one of the couple I knew about that are poly resin based... I didn't see any advantage in buying that versus using stuff I already had other than its premixed, which i get the convenience... However, the big downside to me is it uses a cream hardener... I was never a fan of the stuff that used cream hardener like bondo, cuz its so darn hard to measure the right amount for small batches... I can't tell you how many times I've tried to use bondo and it setup in like 5 minutes and didn't leave me time to do anything lol

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Welp, I spent the day yesterday on my buddies bayliner down on the Chesapeake... had a great time and made me miss having a working boat lol...
Relit that fire under my but to get into gear

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
It was super nerve-racking, but i finally touched the grinder to the outside of the hull... There was a pair of spots on the back of the boat where there was a grab bar by the swim platform where the gelcoat was cracked and the glass was kind of sunken down... I eased the grinder into it and ground out the divot and the surrounding area.. Turns out there was dry laminate underneath and it didn't adhere the wood backing underneath... No surprise...

Once I got it feathered out, I cut out a layer of 1708 to fit each spot and then covered each 1708 patch with two layers of CSM. Now it just needs cleaned up and filled with fairing compound, then I will gelcoat later once I match the color and do the floor.

In addition to that, I made some repairs to where the hinge for the sundeck mounts... There was wood backing for this but the glass on the backside wasn't even adhered. I ground off the old glass on the back of the wood and then layed up 2 strips of 1708 around the back to help stiffen this area as it was very flexible and it was actually cracked all the way through on the right side where the plywood ended and there was a lot of stress. I also put some PB at each end of the wood backer and tapered it out so there is no more hard edge where the wood stops... Then I threw 2 pieces of 1708 and some CSM on the front of the crack and that should be good enough to hold up. This spot will be hidden by the sundeck hinge so I don't need to spend much time fairing this spot.

Basically, last night was spent going around the entire hull and cleaning up any spots with sharp PB spots, high spots, missed grinding, etc...

Now I think I'm ready acetone the whole interior and start fairing.

20190715_221635-800x600.jpg20190715_225752-800x600.jpg

Attachments

• 20190715_225806-800x600.jpg
    20190715_225806-800x600.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 4

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I can tell I have never done this before as I'm not very good at it, but I was able to put down my first section of fairing compound last night... I started in the bow seat area. I did the top surfaces of the seat boxes as well as the forward area of the vertical walls... This is just the base coat so I can get things in the neighborhood and then the next coat or two should go much better... Right now there are little bumps and dips and stuff that make the knife bounce around and leave ridges and dips everywhere... I did the best I could to fill the low spots and after I sand I think it will go much better. Other than that, I think it went pretty well.

I also filled the repair areas on the hull from the previous post. I'll give everything a sanding tonight and try to do a second coat. Once I get the hull repair sanded where I want it, I will probably leave it go until I get time to color match the gelcoat which I want to do for the floor anyways.. I want to try to make the gelcoat match the hull cuz I'm not a fan of the blinding bright white off the shelf gelcoat.

20190716_221128-800x600.jpg20190716_221155-800x600.jpg

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Last night I got the 2nd coat of fairing compound on...

I guess I totally forgot to put pva on the first batch so sanding was super fun... either way, it got done and then put on the 2nd coat..

I had enough left over that I was able to do some of the floor under the dash... hoping to sand everything tonight and start on the rest of the floor.. then it will be sanding and touching up spots before giving the entire interior and wash down and scrubbing with acetone to prep for gelcoat

20190717_231405-800x600.jpg

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I couldnt bring myself to work on the boat tonight, it was hotter than a pepper in satan's anus outside... I'm going out of town this weekend too so looks like I'm on hold for a few days.

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last night I got the 2nd coat of fairing compound on...

I guess I totally forgot to put pva on the first batch so sanding was super fun... either way, it got done and then put on the 2nd coat..

I had enough left over that I was able to do some of the floor under the dash... hoping to sand everything tonight and start on the rest of the floor.. then it will be sanding and touching up spots before giving the entire interior and wash down and scrubbing with acetone to prep for gelcoat

Is the PVA the same stuff that they sell at big box stores like Lowes or is it something special?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Can't say I've seen pva at lowes or home depot nor could I see why they would... it's poly vinyl alcohol, it's used in a lot of stuff but nothing to do with home improvement... the stuff I have is partall #10 film from rexco, that's what us composites sells and is probably the most common brand you'll find. They also make a purple one that is basically the same thing but I think they market it as safer for the environment or something...

It's actually the stuff they make tide pods and dishwasher tabs out off... it's the plastic on the outside that dissolves when it gets wet.

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can't say I've seen pva at lowes or home depot nor could I see why they would... it's poly vinyl alcohol, it's used in a lot of stuff but nothing to do with home improvement... the stuff I have is partall #10 film from rexco, that's what us composites sells and is probably the most common brand you'll find. They also make a purple one that is basically the same thing but I think they market it as safer for the environment or something...

It's actually the stuff they make tide pods and dishwasher tabs out off... it's the plastic on the outside that dissolves when it gets wet.

I would say this is based of the same concept but has been modified to more home improvement applications to seal paint and drywall.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-Pr...imer-Actual-Net-Contents-256-fl-oz/1000459285

Better to stick with what is guaranteed to work that’s for sure.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
My guess is that it is poly vinyl acetate, the same stuff Elmer's glue and wood glue are made from... kinda confusing lol... that's why when you google pva you get a lot of wood glue and stuff...

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Has anyone every had to buy any small thru hull fittings??? The thru hull drain for the cooler compartment busted from years of UV/saltwater exposure when I took it out a while ago, and I've been searching and can't seem to find anything anywhere... The drain hose is like 1/4, and the smallest thru hull with hose fitting I can find is 1/2"... I could use and adapter and adapt to the bigger thru hull, but I was trying to avoid grinding out the hole in the hull to a bigger size for no reason.