96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Little "post-holiday" update everyone.

Started working on replacing the impeller on my outdrive. Got started late the other night (while video-ing which adds a bunch of time) and got it to a point where everything is removed. Need to get the new one installed yet, but I want to clean everything up before re-installing. Everything looked in good shape regarding the impeller itself and the metal housing and plates. However, the seal above the impeller housing was pretty cracked and in bad shape... Not sure if thats because it was so old or if there was excessive heat or something that caused premature damage.

I also found some "suspicious signs" of something maybe living in my outdrive....
I don't think this is supposed to be in there :D:facepalm:

Side note:
Here is part 1 of impeller removal for those who care lol. And Jay calls in for advice!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	1 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	10694375

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Yea, I wouldn't say I was shocked to find something... but I was shocked to find it packed full... That mouse family woulda had a rude awakening next summer if I hadn't found it lol

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
Got a question for you, Did you remove all the csm from where the stringers are? And what about the transom? I have alot of it on mine and wondered how others did theirs

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Got a question for you, Did you remove all the csm from where the stringers are? And what about the transom? I have alot of it on mine and wondered how others did theirs

Do you mean when grinding the hull? If so, I ground everywhere I would be laminating down to good clean pink glass. My transom had quite a bit of dry layup from factory so I had to grind the transom more than I wanted and layup additional glass before gluing on the new transom. I also filled in my strakes with PB cuz I found wood fillers in all my strakes and ground them and removed them.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Impeller is done... only had to do it 1 1/2 times cuz my memory card filled up half way thru recording lol.. oh well, went together extra good the 2nd time.

video coming soon... thinking friscoboater will make a 2nd cameo in this one too :laugh:

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I enjoyed the impeller removal... can't wait to see it go back in! friscoboater = 100% :joyous:

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks.. Coming soon! I hope if Jay ever sees it he doesn't care, I tried to make it light hearted and funny so obviously not mean spirited to me, hope no one takes it that way.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Shame you didn't catch whatever was living in the exhaust channel so you could force the rodent to pay back rent for using that Alpha One Gen 2 as an apartment.

Other than having to use some grease to keep that plastic plate to stay put during assembly because it likes to fall down from the outdrive upper, to me the Alpha One Gen 2 impeller job was twice as easy as doing the standardized OMC/BRP outboard impeller kit on most of their 70 to 300 HP outboards used now (I think 1980'ish to current day).

My biggest complaint about the BRP/OMC outboard one is all the extra chemicals/glues I needed to build that housing and place the gaskets. I didn't need any of that junk on the Alpha One Gen 2.

I guess that's a fair tradeoff of doing pre-mix gas and OMC hoops to jump through for avoiding doing a bellows job.

Just as a wierd/odd comparison, your voice sounds somewhat close to "Bradon's Garage" on YouTube that does a lot of OMC outboard videos.

Last edited:

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Don't know anything about outboards but I could see where you're coming from, the impeller is super easy on mercs.

dunno who brandon's garage is but odds are I won't be able to stand his voice lol

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Everyone is making me nervous about the bellows job lol...

Although, I decided to give myself the best shot and I'm going with the exhaust tube instead of bellows. I heard the exhaust is much harder than the u-joint.

Plus I've been doing 20 reps with my flexible screwdriver every night to keep in shape for hose clamps :laugh:

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Alignment pins, we don need no stinkin pins.

I will say in the various items I have had to struggle to get aligned, not once did the Alpha One Gen 2 imepeller kit and housing feel like it needed more than putting the four securing bolts in to align it the gasket, base plate, and housing evenly.

Regarding bellows, I think of it like certain suspension/steering jobs, it is going to be a very involved job with several hours of labor, you just hope you get a break in not dealing with worst case scenario issues.

If you can tolerate doing a front end job on a vehicle successfully following the manual, you can likely handle a bellows job.

In fairness I am speaking from the research in the steps required, videos showing it, and experiences told here in the forum and other places.

When I first owned it, I paid to have the bellows done.

As the years went by and more issues popped up, I did more of the work myself until I sold it.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
bellows was easy , alignment pin /cotterpin hole alignment made me cry rivers of tasty salty tears of frustration :)

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
bellows was easy , alignment pin /cotterpin hole alignment made me cry rivers of tasty salty tears of frustration :)

Which cutter pin ye speak of? I'm told the gear lube hose, water hose, and exhaust bellows are the worst. Uni bellows should be cake.