96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
No updates on clean hulls lol, but I did spend some time last night investigating an idea I had to make trim solenoids last way longer... I had a suspicion that there was a lot of arcing going on which ruins the internal contacts in quick order. Turns out my idea works!
I posted about it over in the mercruiser forum..

Here if your interested:
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...-hack-for-longer-life?p=10656776#post10656776

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
MP, I meant to mention that you also might try Davis FSR for stain removal. I've used it with some success, and not too much elbow grease.

Attachments

• photo301484.jpg
    photo301484.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 0

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks, I'll give the ZEP a try, sounds like its pretty good stuff, but if its a big fail, I will look for that FSR stuff.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, I'll give the ZEP a try, sounds like its pretty good stuff, but if its a big fail, I will look for that FSR stuff.

Sounds like a good plan. I just didn't want to be accused of holding out on ya.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
It's fine... I'm sure chev, Micky, et al are laughing their butts off at my struggles lol

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
pfft i had to not once ... but twice clean my bilge in the last week from dumping atf fluid :( its ok though zep took care of what i couldn't soak up with rags and dispose of properly. those film clips get left on the cutting floor :)

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Tried out the zep tonight... definitely not free of elbow grease but I also picked up a stiff bristle wheel brush with a long handle... seemed to do the trick.. next step is glassing in some last minute pieces... gonna double up the plywood at the tow hook and install a few other pieces here and there... once done, I think it's gonna be time to gelcoat the engine compartment.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I used urethane bed liner, nothing soaks into it and its damn near impossible to destroy, plus nice part i can get it any color i like , has some sound deadening quality's and has a hardness of 5 more then gelcoat:)

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Honestly I don't have a reason for choosing gelcoat other than it's what I thought I was supposed to use lol. I used poly resin so naturally I figured gelcoat...
that being said, the gelcoat I have may have reached its life expectancy.. if it's shot, I may investigate alternative coating options...

I know gelcoat can stain, but I thought I was incredibly durable.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
as long as its urathane bedliner you golden, raptor makes a tintable and you can thin it out to flow like paint through a hlvp:)

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I know I've been radio silent lately but it's been nuts around here checking things off the honey do list. Next on the list is making a bed for my daughters birthday. Once that is done I should be able to focus back on the boat... while no updates lately, I've still been working thru some stuff and planning. (Update video over on youtube... https://youtu.be/f7V4mN6jNP0

I've also decided to give the rustoleum marine topside paint a try in the bilge. No reason other than affordable and mostly good reviews. Once I give it a shot I'll snap some footage.

Attachments

• photo302781.jpg
    photo302781.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've also decided to give the rustoleum marine topside paint a try in the bilge. No reason other than affordable and mostly good reviews. Once I give it a shot I'll snap some footage.

Yeah, that's a $10 per quart savings if it works out... Let us know!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
No paint updates yet... still busy around the house and woodworking, but I did get the motor winterized tonight (out of necessity). I also got a chance to tweak around with some carb settings since it was the first time I ran it since the rebuild... sounds nice and smooth.
also took some video of how to winterize... not sure if I'll release it or not tho... lots of stuff out there already.

I also got the boat moved out of the driveway and under a canopy so now I have my driveway back and can work in the rain if I need to.
slow and steady wins the race.. if the race is Micky or KC it's neck and neck for a multi year affair lol

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Small update tonight... spent some time at the bench trying my hand at vinyl wrap... I wrapped my faded bilge vent covers with red carbon fiber vinyl... I think it turned out pretty good... there's a few small bubbles but I'll probably be the only one to ever see em...

Attachments

• photo303611.jpg
    photo303611.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 8

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks. Its just some super cheap stuff I got on Amazon lol. I'm not sure if it will hold up.. seems to be decent quality though. My biggest concern is how well it will hold up to UV over time, but we'll see. Worst case is, I peel it off down the road and either redo it, or paint the covers white again.