96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Welp... I decided to paint my driveway red and looks like I got some over spray on the trailer lol... I thought the airless sprayers were supposed to reduce overspending! Ha

Anyways, first coat is on but between the rain, heat, and upcoming vacation, it looks like she's staying on the hard stand for another week... I do really like how it's looking tho! Was hoping it would be a little glossier but that might just be my bad spraying technique.

20210630_091246_copy_1280x960.jpg

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
This has been a much longer project than expected, but its starting to look like a trailer again... just about ready to put the boat back on, then I'll finish up the fenders and new lights...

20210719_193219_copy_1024x768.jpg

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great work on the trailer, looks great. You should have done a body outline in chalk on the driveway, with the red paint you could have had some stories to tell.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Welp, shes mobile again! which is a great feeling because it means I'm almost done, but it also means I get a lot of my driveway back lol.
Super happy with it so far... The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is how soft the paint is. When you paint over galvanized, you HAVE to use water based paint because oil based paints like alkyds, enamels, etc, will cause a chemical reaction with the zinc oxide and basically fail... You know when you see chain link fences get painted and its almost always failing, thats because the either used the wrong paint, didn't prep, or most likely, both of those...

Painted galvanized steel is actually a pretty commonly used practice in industry, its called a duplex coating (look how much I learned from researching paint my boat trailer lol).

I'm hoping it holds up really well, but if I need to touch stuff up, the industrial acrylic I used can be top coated any time without any major prep other than roughing up the surface.

Next on the list is getting the new wiring and lighting installed... Then I gotta get the fenders painted and installed still. I also think I'm going to fabricate and install guide bunks at the back of the trailer... I know most people think they aren't necessary, but when 90% of my boating is done in a river where there is current, it can be really frustrating to get the boat centered on the bunks while pulling the trailer out of the water and the boat is trying to float sideways.

Thats all for now!

20210721_202812_copy_1280x960.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Welp, shes mobile again! which is a great feeling because it means I'm almost done, but it also means I get a lot of my driveway back lol.
Super happy with it so far... The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is how soft the paint is. When you paint over galvanized, you HAVE to use water based paint because oil based paints like alkyds, enamels, etc, will cause a chemical reaction with the zinc oxide and basically fail... You know when you see chain link fences get painted and its almost always failing, thats because the either used the wrong paint, didn't prep, or most likely, both of those...

Painted galvanized steel is actually a pretty commonly used practice in industry, its called a duplex coating (look how much I learned from researching paint my boat trailer lol).

I'm hoping it holds up really well, but if I need to touch stuff up, the industrial acrylic I used can be top coated any time without any major prep other than roughing up the surface.

Next on the list is getting the new wiring and lighting installed... Then I gotta get the fenders painted and installed still. I also think I'm going to fabricate and install guide bunks at the back of the trailer... I know most people think they aren't necessary, but when 90% of my boating is done in a river where there is current, it can be really frustrating to get the boat centered on the bunks while pulling the trailer out of the water and the boat is trying to float sideways.

Thats all for now!

View attachment 346034
Very Purty!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Looking for any good ideas from you guys out there with other boats or maybe that have had to deal with this before.... I've noticed in the last few trips out that everyone pretty much by default loves to stand on the EVA foam pad on the sun deck and basically drip all their river water on the sun deck, which then inevitably runs down between the seat and the fiberglass in the areas below...
I'm thinking I would like to build some sort of a fiberglass gutter that would attach to the underside of the cap in this area to catch this water and then run it to a drain in each corner that will attach to hoses that run down to the bilge...

Any thoughts on a better way to do this? or maybe a different solution?

Capture.JPG

Billyddot

Cadet
I'm thinking of painting my side bunk posts (that are barely galvanized) gloss black to match my trailer .... you find that Rustoleum Stops Rust Enamel Spray Paint #7779830 wont hold well? This trailer is fresh water only if that matters. Dang.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
The problem isn't that its "rustoleum" or "cheap spray paint"... The issue is that all oil based paints will fail over galvanizing. There is a chemical reaction between the zinc oxides and the oil based paints, its called saponification.

You have to top coat galvanizing with water based primer or paints... After you top coat the galvanizing, you can go over that with anything you want (as long as its compatible over the water based paint you used)...

All coatings will fail over galvanized if you don't prep it correctly... Theres a lot of good info out there that tell you the correct prep.. Basically they consist of degreasing, then etching (chemical or mechanical), then painting.

I opted to do chemical etching with a phosphoric acid wash, I've heard white vinegar also works really well.

I used phophoric acid because there were some spots where the galvanizing had worn through, and the phosphoric acid converted the rust in those areas to a paintable primer.