96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Ouch.....just curious if you got solid quote for pickup. The hazmat charges are built into the internet price, which I didn't know until I called. I think the hazmat charge was a 28.50 deduction per 5 gallons. I definitely saved money over USC when I picked up, once the haz-mat and shipping were added to USC. It was significant enough for the 1-1/2 hr drive for me. But then again, I was working on a facility in Sparrows Point, so Edgewood wasn't totally out of my way.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I didn't get a quote from fiberglass site... but in my calculation I didn't include the hazmat fee....

I actually had USC ship the stuff freight to my work so they didn't charge me a hazmat fee...

As long as the prices are up to date on everyone's website, USC was definitely cheaper, plus I was able to get the pour foam thru them

Last edited:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Yeah I had to go to USC for the foam too. There was no cheaper place on the planet. None.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Picked up the plywood for the transom today and some 2x material for the stringers... I guess I'll be returning or finding a better use for the western red cedar boards I bought a while ago... I bought them before doing research and finding out that oily resinous woods won't bond to the poly... figured I was being smart using rot resistant wood.. live and learn lol

chevymaher

Commander
Picked up the plywood for the transom today and some 2x material for the stringers... I guess I'll be returning or finding a better use for the western red cedar boards I bought a while ago... I bought them before doing research and finding out that oily resinous woods won't bond to the poly... figured I was being smart using rot resistant wood.. live and learn lol
I went through that. 2-3 days before I got the wood when I was making my list. I read everything from every forum out there. Stressing it big time. What should I do.

I pre-shopped online and had my item numbers and prices for the wood. I had my cart loaded and just left it took a walk to see what else they had. That is when I found the main stinger materials I am using. Exactly what came out of the boat. It wasn't listed online. Little more expensive. So I loaded them up and put the previous wood back. The heavier and oilier looking ones. But I though they were my only choices.

I handled hundreds of pieces of wood that day. I moved the entire stack from shelf to shelf looking for the best. Set 10 or so out. Then picked the best from those. Then I had to put all of it back where it belonged. Got to love the boats to go through what we doing for sure.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Order came in at work today! Got it all packed in my car, gonna have to drive home with the windows down tho, or you might see me on the news tonight, lol...

I'm super excited to get rebuilding tho... I think have everything I need to get started, just need to get the last bit of gelcoat and wood off the transom area tonight... I'll be even more excited to be done grinding.

Gonna get a template for the transom this weekend and get it cutout and glued up with some Titebond III. Haven't yet decided if I want to glue the transom in with PB or PL... PL is definately going to be cheaper and I don't have an issue waiting for it to setup, just want to do whats stronger in the long run.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Order came in at work today! Got it all packed in my car, gonna have to drive home with the windows down tho, or you might see me on the news tonight, lol...

I'm super excited to get rebuilding tho... I think have everything I need to get started, just need to get the last bit of gelcoat and wood off the transom area tonight... I'll be even more excited to be done grinding.

Gonna get a template for the transom this weekend and get it cutout and glued up with some Titebond III. Haven't yet decided if I want to glue the transom in with PB or PL... PL is definately going to be cheaper and I don't have an issue waiting for it to setup, just want to do whats stronger in the long run.

I went with the PB and reinforced it with 1/4" chop. I don't like how long it takes the PL gasses out. If you use resin, you can do your fillets and start glassing immediately. PB with 1/4" chop is as strong as you can get IMO.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Finished grinding the hull tonight! (Except the deck lip that I'm keeping for reference)... I found quite a bit of delaminated csm on the transom so I had to grind that out, but that left a big dished out area on each side of the keyhole... will pb be sufficient as a gap filler when I glue the transom in? Or should I try to fill the areas with some csm first (really don't wanna do this)..

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I had the same thing on mine, I went with laying glass to fill the voids up to near level, then layed a full sheet across the full transom. that is an area that takes a lot of stress, so I figured it should be strong as possible. You did grind out glass from the area, I think it should be put back. jmo.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Back at it last night! Finally got to crack open that first 5 gallon buck of resin. Mixed me up some extra thick PB and smeared it in the low spots on the transom where I had to grind out the dry delaminated chop strand. Before this, I took a piece of wood and ran it over my jointer to give it a nice straight edge, I then used this as a screed to smooth the PB to be relatively flat across the entire transom area. It didn't work absolutely perfect, but pretty darn close... I'll sand it smooth tonight and see if anything needs touched up.

I also got my transom template complete so once I'm done filling the low spots, I can cut out the ply and get started on the transom wood. Before this though, I'm going to do a full layer of CSM over the transom before I put the wood on.. I'm not a huge fan of how thin the transom is from factory. Its not much over a 1/4" thick. So with 1/4", plus two layers of 11/32 BCX ply only gets me to roughly 1.7" before two layers of 1708 on top. So a little extra thickness isn't going to hurt me.

I also got around to filling in some of the strakes with PB as well. Not sure if PB is enough or if I should then go over the fillets with some 1708 or CSM.

On a side note... I am enjoying this part of boat restoration WAAAAAAAAY more than demo and grinding lol... I can't wait to get back out there and build...
20170807_212107-800x600.jpg 20170807_221456-800x600.jpg 20170807_212134-600x800.jpg

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I filled the strakes on my Chap same as you. I did find that the thickened resin would shrink slightly and crack unless I put 1/4" chop in the PB. The chopped strands really strengthen polyester resin. I learned quickly that hairy PB is a much better option.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Yea, I used about a 50:50 mix of 1/4 chop strand and cabosil... I didn't see any issues on the stuff I did yesterday so fingers crossed it will be good..

Did you cap the strakes with any csm or 1708? I was thinking of buying some 1708 strips instead of wasting the 15 yards I ordered.

I got out again tonight and got a layer of csm on the transom and filled the rest of the strakes... plan for tomorrow night is cutting the transom wood and water proofing it

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Not tons of progress tonight since I didn't get much time, but the transom wood is cut out and sitting overnight to set up... I used titebond iii so no need to let it set long so hopefully I can get it sanded and coated tomorrow night.

Attachments

• 20170809_221028-800x600.jpg
    20170809_221028-800x600.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 11

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Not tons of progress tonight since I didn't get much time, but the transom wood is cut out and sitting overnight to set up... I used titebond iii so no need to let it set long so hopefully I can get it sanded and coated tomorrow night.

Nice, you use any temporary screws to help hold it together or just the clamps?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Yea, I used about a 50:50 mix of 1/4 chop strand and cabosil... I didn't see any issues on the stuff I did yesterday so fingers crossed it will be good..

Did you cap the strakes with any csm or 1708? I was thinking of buying some 1708 strips instead of wasting the 15 yards I ordered.

I got out again tonight and got a layer of csm on the transom and filled the rest of the strakes... plan for tomorrow night is cutting the transom wood and water proofing it

I did not cap the strakes with anything. Just filled with hairy PB.