96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Yup... started to rain so got it up just in time!

Ps... got another late night session in.. only 4 ft left on the hull and then the transom! I can smell the end.... I might even have to.... dare I say it... order supplies!?!

You sure your noise isn't clogged up with fiberglass dust? LOL:rofl:

On a serious note, you already figure out how much fiberglass you going to need? Where you sourcing it?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I have a pretty good idea just based on what other people have used... Basically going based on Friscoboaters videos and what he went thru on the searay and scaling it based on my boat size...

I think I'm going to order the following:
20yd 1.5 CSM
15yd 1708
20 gal poly resin
5 qts 1/4" chop
5lbs cabosil
1 gal gelcoat
5 gal 2lb foam

I plan on getting it from US Composites.. I got a quote from them on shipping and its $350 thru UPS :eek::eek::eek:
However, I can get it shipped freight to my work for $180, which is an improvement but still crazy. I think your going to pay that anywhere tho.

My only other option is to drive down to Edgewater, MD which is a little over an hour away and by all the stuff from Fiberglasssite but they charge a lot more for the resin...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Just noticed you're in Dover. I'm in Mount Wolf. Where do you boat at? We've got a seasonal camp at Raystown so we're usually out there but I boat locally at Goldsboro and Long Level also with the Starcraft. There's at least one other iboater in Dover as well.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Have you looked at what Woodonglass recommends?

I have... I'm pretty much averaging out what I've seen most people are using and taking my best stab at it... I think I'm going to have more than enough... I don't mind having to buy a bit more if I need to, I really don't want to buy a lot more than I need and wasting money.

No way, I actually live close to the Susquehanna speedway if you know where that is. I spend the majority of time at either Long Level or Selinsgrove... I get nervous at Goldsboro being shallow in certain areas. I've already lost some skeg and a SS prop there.
I'm actually going to be headed out to Raystown on the 28th and 29th... Thats a bit of a drive so I usually don't go there unless I'm spending the night.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I have a pretty good idea just based on what other people have used... Basically going based on Friscoboaters videos and what he went thru on the searay and scaling it based on my boat size...

I think I'm going to order the following:
20yd 1.5 CSM
15yd 1708
20 gal poly resin
5 qts 1/4" chop
5lbs cabosil
1 gal gelcoat
5 gal 2lb foam

I plan on getting it from US Composites.. I got a quote from them on shipping and its $350 thru UPS :eek::eek::eek:
However, I can get it shipped freight to my work for $180, which is an improvement but still crazy. I think your going to pay that anywhere tho.

My only other option is to drive down to Edgewater, MD which is a little over an hour away and by all the stuff from ************** but they charge a lot more for the resin...

Do you mean Edgewood MD? I got all my supplies from them. Saved a boatload, (LOL), of money on shipping. Resin was a little more expensive but everything else was very comparable. Mike's a great source of product knowledge. I live in Chambersburg, so the drive was worth it when you kill the shipping charges. Great quality products too. Only thing I couldn't get from him was the flotation foam.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Yea, I knew it was edge something lol. I need to compare prices because at a $50 difference per 5 gallons of resin x4 that's basically the cost off the freight shipping from us composites... probably close to a wash either way...

On a side note, my grinding session got cut short today when soldier number 1 gave up on me... so I'm off to the freight tomorrow.. on a plus side I found one of the brushes was very shorty so I fabricobbled new ones from some brushes I had lying around and SUCCESS... I'm still going to pick up a backup tho because at 12 years old, it would be a miracle if this thing made it thru this project..

SHSU

On a side note, my grinding session got cut short today when soldier number 1 gave up on me... so I'm off to the freight tomorrow.. on a plus side I found one of the brushes was very shorty so I fabricobbled new ones from some brushes I had lying around and SUCCESS... I'm still going to pick up a backup tho because at 12 years old, it would be a miracle if this thing made it thru this project..

Many a grinder has found its demise on this site with the projects we put them through LOL

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the coupon! Just picked up a new grinder.. I think I'm gonna sneak back in the next day or two and pick up a 7" polisher as well LOL

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your welcome, I'm going tomorrow to get another grinder myself :lol:

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
After a brief sabbatical, I got a good session in tonight.. I'm basically down to removing a little more gel coat from the bilge and finishing up the transom.. one thing I noticed on the transom is some of the glass down low seems lighter in color which I think is because it wasn't completely wetted out from factory..

I'm afraid to grind it down past this because I don't want to deal with dips and valleys that I need to go back and fill and sand flat, etc...

I'm under the impression if it made it this long, I should be fine unless someone advises otherwise...

Nothing picture worthy tonight, ill post one when I'm done to celebrate lol...

Bktech

Recruit
Just curious, did you notice any flexing of the hull after removing everything? I didn't see any additional support added to the trailer in your pictures like I have seen some people do.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Its definitely not very solid right now.. If i stand at the front of the boat and shake it back and forth, you can see the hull twist back and forth, but I'm assuming with the bow eye tight, and the bunks on the trailer its going to settle back to pretty much straight. I didn't remove the cap so I wasn't too concerned about the hull flexing outward. I guess the only thing I could see is maybe the front sagging down where the bunks stop, but with the beam strength of the hull, it would be pretty difficult to sag in that direction substantially.

I'm sure it will be off by a small amount, but my guess is its not enough to make a noticeable difference..Gotta handle better than it did with 500# of wet foam lol

SHSU

Its definitely not very solid right now.. If i stand at the front of the boat and shake it back and forth, you can see the hull twist back and forth, but I'm assuming with the bow eye tight, and the bunks on the trailer its going to settle back to pretty much straight. I didn't remove the cap so I wasn't too concerned about the hull flexing outward. I guess the only thing I could see is maybe the front sagging down where the bunks stop, but with the beam strength of the hull, it would be pretty difficult to sag in that direction substantially.

I'm sure it will be off by a small amount, but my guess is its not enough to make a noticeable difference..Gotta handle better than it did with 500# of wet foam lol

You thought of adding any blocking on trailer where bunks end for added support?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Probably too late... If I were to add support at this point, I wouldn't know how much things are sagging from where its supposed to be...

Maybe for my own sanity, I'll check the keel with a long straight edge to see if it sags beyond the bunks.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Well, that hurt a little LOL.. Just placed my order with US composites... It was more than I paid for the boat haha

SHSU

Well, that hurt a little LOL.. Just placed my order with US composites... It was more than I paid for the boat haha

Ouch :black_eyed:. Need to sell a kidney? LOL

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I thought I was gonna come out ahead having a place an hour away that I could get all my supplies, but they charge almost $200 per 5 gallon container of resin... I did what any self respecting iboater would do and made a spreadsheet to compare the total price for each option, and US composites still came out ahead, even with $180 in shipping charges...