96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I hope you have better luck with curing. I have it out in the sun and it helped with the finish cure. 1.5-2% wax is recommended. Not sure if I will stick with it since it got dirty sticking to my socks. Maybe some other top coat in the future

Use left over plastic grocery bags to tie around your feet when walking on fresh glass in between layups. The resin will not stick to the plastic. Trust me, it’ll help with the sock fuzz.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Welp, I unfortunately got some stomach bug/ flu type thing and had me down and out the last few days and I just arrived at the beach for a week so no work for me... I guess it's not so bad lol...

I've been itching to get out and experiment with fairing compound with wax and pva but it's gonna have to wait..

Which I guess is fine, it's gonna be like 95 and humid the next few days

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mad Props, just checked out your YouTube channel and a couple of your boat videos, you’re getting close! Great video editing btw, had me laughing, especially the baby powder!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Mad Props, just checked out your YouTube channel and a couple of your boat videos, you’re getting close! Great video editing btw, had me laughing, especially the baby powder!

Lol thanks for checking them out.. I'm glad someone appreciates my dad joke sense of humor

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lol thanks for checking them out.. I'm glad someone appreciates my dad joke sense of humor

I’m 34 with 3 daughters, dad jokes is all I know anymore, but I still think they are funny especially when it embarrasses the girls!

Sometimes I’ll get the baby powder before I go out and tell my wife to “rub me down babe” loud enough for my 15 year old to hear, just so I can get that “eewwww GROSS!” teenage daughter feedback.

Heck, my 5 year old is even saying some of them now, just the other day she farted real loud and said “You know it’s a good one when you can taste it!” I absolutely lost it, I was laughing so hard I was crying. My wife just shakes her head and keeps going, probably thinking to herself “What has my life come to?” LOL

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Welp, I unfortunately got some stomach bug/ flu type thing and had me down and out the last few days and I just arrived at the beach for a week so no work for me... I guess it's not so bad lol...

I've been itching to get out and experiment with fairing compound with wax and pva but it's gonna have to wait..

Which I guess is fine, it's gonna be like 95 and humid the next few days

Soon as the bug clears, it's time to get back.

As long as the water supply is maintain ed, it's time to become ONE with the 95 degree heat and 60% humidity.

Yes, I do live in the US south region and did two rough in/finish out boat projects in such heat. Haven't yet done any from the ground up boat restortations as of yet.

Last edited:

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Got out last night to do a little experiment.

I mixed up two small cups of resin, with glass bubbles, and one of which i added surfacing wax.

I applied the homemade fairing compound to two small (inconspicuous) areas as a test... After the non-waxed section setup a little bit, I came back brushed on a coat of PVA... I then let it setup over night so when I get home tonight, I'm going to see if one cured better than the other.. I'll give em a quick sanding and see if one clogs up the paper less.

Once I determine which version I like better, I'll plan to go that route for the rest of the floor and stuff.

20190708_142804-800x518.jpg

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Are you going to put gel coat down?

I am... my plan is to fair the visible areas of the deck and seat boxes just so you dont see the fiberglass seams and unevenness. I am also going to use softsand nonskid in the walking areas which will help hide any irregularities.

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am... my plan is to fair the visible areas of the deck and seat boxes just so you dont see the fiberglass seams and unevenness. I am also going to use softsand nonskid in the walking areas which will help hide any irregularities.

Maybe I missed a post but I thought that if you’re putting gel coat down then even in your fairing you don’t want a waxed resin, unless those specific areas aren’t going to be gel coated that is.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Nope... Wax is fine, and is required if you want to sand it (which is basically the point of fairing compound)... The point of the wax is to rise to the surface of the resin or gelcoat and form an air barrier on the top to let it fully cure (same purpose as PVA). Once the resin is sanded and wiped down with acetone, all the wax is removed and you are left with plain old resin/gelcoat...

The only reason we don't use wax normally is because you would then have to sand/acetone wipe after every single layup which is a huge pain in the butt.

On a side note, i went out tonight and the wax side of the experiment worked perfectly and sanded really well, however, the PVA side, I think I screwed up... I used a cup of warm water and tried to wash off the PVA and it didn't seem to be doing anything... There was still a very green tint to the fairing compound (the pva was green). I think in my brief research, I determined I put the PVA too soon and it absorbed into the resin... it still fully cured but I wasn't able to wash off the PVA and it was extremely gummy to sand...

I think before moving forward, I'm going to do one more experiment with PVA and wait longer. If it works well, i think PVA is going to be my preference to wax because I'm concerned about getting a good cure in areas where the fairing compound might be too thick like on vertical surfaces and the wax may have trouble getting to the surface.

The brushing the PVA on thing kinda stinks tho... I might have to buy a couple of those prevailer sprayer things...

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That’s good information and I didn’t really think about the sanding portion. That being said, in places where standing water wouldn’t be an issue, like side panels, hull sides, etc... has anyone tried using “rondo”, coming from my auto body days whenever we were concerned about bondo cracking we would mix fiberglass and bondo to make glass reinforced bondo which is easy to spread, get a smooth surface, and easily sanded. I have been thinking about trying it out to make some custom cup holder side panels but maybe someone else has already tried it?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
It would probably be okay as an above the waterline fairing compound, but personally I wouldn't risk it... There are so many commercially available fairing compounds that aren't that expensive that are meant for boats... I only decided to make my own because almost all the commercial fairing compounds are epoxy based and I want to be able to topcoat with gelcoat so I have to stick with poly resin.

The stuff I made with the wax sanded really well... I don't think it was any worse than sanding bondo.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I made up the same type of faring compound but used cabosil with the glass bubbles to help thicken the compound. Wax makes it sandable without it clogging the sand paper. I used this faring compound to resurface my transom to make it a flatter surface for mounting my outdrive as it was out of tolerance. I’m not sure I would trust an off the shelf compound below the waterline. Once my transom met Mercruiser specs, I applied numerous coats of gel.

Just about every time I made up peanut butter for either glueing, filling, or fillets, I used 1/4” chop to strengthen it. Just thickened resin alone has no strength and will crack. Adding fibers prevents this. I would not put chop in a faring compound.