96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

chevymaher

Commander
Since you brought it up I have the 3 liter and bravo drive service manuals in PDF if anyone wants them. alpha and bravo drives are practically identical.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
In my searching yesterday before doing the pressure test, It looks like the general consensus is most people test to 15, however I saw someone posted a training manual from mercruiser that says to pressurize to 7-10lbs and rotate the input shaft and shift shaft multiple times and check for leaks.
So, I decided to test to 10lbs since it was a mercruiser document. Forgot to check this morning, but as of last night, it seemed to be holding the 10lbs no problem. Fingers crossed...
:mad-new:

Attachments

• photo304748.jpg
    photo304748.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 0

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Well, went out today to grab something out of the boat and found the cover support in the back fell and the cover tore slightly... ugghhh...
anyone have any recommendations on a decent patch that will be waterproof?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I'll have to give that a try.. sounds nice and cheap which is always good! lol

On a side note, i found out last night that I ordered the wrong Ujoints :mad:. Turns out the cross-reference in the adults only section under the Merc sterndrive forum only is accurate for newer model alpha 1 gen 2s... My drive has a pre-95 A1G2/Bravo u-joint... Makes me wonder if the upper was replaced. Biggest downside of ordering the wrong u-joints is, the correct ones are not used in any auto applications, so theres no good cross-ref... I'm stuck spending 40 a pop which is the best price I could find... Oh well... this is the most expensive boat not on the water lol

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Welp, while I wait for my new u-joints to arrive, I finished up editing the pressure testing video. Posted now over on my youtube channel... Enjoy!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Welp, while I wait for my new u-joints to arrive, I finished up editing the pressure testing video. Posted now over on my youtube channel... Enjoy!

MP...something looks a little different, not sure...can't put a bong on it?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
MP...something looks a little different, not sure...can't put a bong on it?

No no no... you got it all wrong... its just a pressure tester...

You people put gauges on your fancy paraphernalia ingestion devices?

Taint legal in PA anywhoo lol

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Dat berit,
Not yet anywhoo, medinks. Local state hasn't been able ta figger out da income beenefitz. I dink it islegool in some of pa locationz.
Gonna bez openin some rehab facilitiers now and make mo $$ off gov. All be funit. Wants in?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
More things checked of the outdrive list! Got the ujoints installed FINALLY last night. Seemed like the man upstairs didn't want me to do it...

First parts I ordered were WRONG! so those went back and when the new correct parts came in, they looked like they had been opened and returned to iboats, both parts were missing needle bearings in the caps, grease fittings were already installed, etc.... so THOSE went back (iboats was really helpful and readily willing to replace and make it right)... New u-joints came in last night and finally got them installed... Video to come soon.

Just an FYI, for those of you that have mercruiser drives... There is a cross-reference sticky in the adults only section over in the mercruiser forum... Make sure you know what u-joints you need before you assume the ones in the cross reference are correct. That thread makes it sound like all alpha 1 gen 2 drives use the same u-joint, however mine are different.
I used the part lookup feature over on mercruiserpartsdotcom and it actually lists the wrong part for the year of my drive, my drive must be a 95 or earlier model, or the input shaft was swapped at some point or something along those lines.
I ended up needing to order either the mercruiser or sierra u-joints only. This part is not a standard automotive part. I spent a few hours researching u-joint manufacturer websites and looking at their part lists by dimensions, and none of them list the correct u-joint for my drive. It must be specific to these drives. Mine had L15N cast into the cross.
I believe these u-joints were also used on Bravo drives.

Point being, make sure you know which ones you need and don't assume that cross-ref chart applies to your drive.

Impeller is next on the list!

Attachments

• photo305302.jpg
    photo305302.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 4

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Youtube video is up! This was one of the ones on the list of videos that I thought could be really helpful cuz theres really no good videos out there... I know its not that difficult of a job, but theres a few little tips and trick I wish I knew going into it.

Hope it helps someone!

Enjoy...

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I've enjoyed both episodes and I don't even own an I/O. :D I've only bought outboards because they've always been a bit of a mystery and I've never understood all the maintenance on them. I'm looking forward to watching work on the impeller!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I've enjoyed both episodes and I don't even own an I/O. :D I've only bought outboards because they've always been a bit of a mystery and I've never understood all the maintenance on them. I'm looking forward to watching work on the impeller!

You must have the patience of a saint if you can sit and watch 30 minutes of my ugly mug and it doesnt even apply to you lol

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Quick update, inbetwixt my woodworking and other shenanigans, I ordered new magnesium anodes for the drive, should be coming in tomorrow or Monday. So need to swap the impellar when i get some time, then swap the anodes, and I think the drive itself should be complete. I will also be resealing the trim rams too.

Plenty of work til spring! lol

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Dangit Iboats! lol

Got my anodes in the mail and they were aluminum. Went on the website and checked the part number, sure enough... says aluminum anode kit, however the picture is of magnesium... darnit...

Now the question is, do I want to spend 30 extra dollars for mag anodes or just keep these aluminum ones.. in my mind, if my outdrive is aluminum, then aluminum anodes aren't going to offer much/if any protection... I know the factory ones used to be zinc, now are aluminum, but thats because they don't know if your gonna be in salt/brackish... I will always be in fresh water, so why not get the best protection I can.

More delays... good thing is winter lol

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Merry christmas everyone! I hope everyone gets a stocking full of cabosil and 5 gallon buckets of resin wrapped in 1708 wrapping paper... :D

If I got that, I'd have to start yet another boat project. Not done with the one I'm doing yet!
Regardless,, Merry Christmas to you also!