96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
That's a real nice looking boat. Definitely worth the effort to restore and should be great with the V8. You're doing a great work with the tear out. An oscillating tool would be my choice as well for getting the stringers mowed down a bit closer to the hull. I would definitely extend the transom as you've described because why not.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You could do it either way, it didn't fail in all these years of use, so it appears it was strong enough the way it was, modifying it won't hurt, but may not help anything either.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry about the lack of updates lately... I haven't given up yet! I just haven't had any time in the last couple weeks to really do anything. My brother-in-law's wedding is coming up next weekend and I'm in a last minute rush to finish making him and his new better half a blanket chest for a wedding gift so woodworking (my other hobby) has been completely engulfing my free time which is basically a couple hours after my kids go to bed.

That being said, I have not quit thinking about the next steps and I'm really looking forward to getting in there and grinding so I can clear that hurdle and get to the top of the hill.

I've been thinking about stringers lately and I'm interesting in trying to go down the road of woodless stringers. I know stingray has adopted this method and I'm sure other boat manufacturers have as well. Has anyone around here attempted it? My thought was to use the polyisocyanurate foam (rigid foam in the urethane family) that you can get at the home centers. These could be cut into stringers the same way wood would be and then PL glued in. Then you could fiberglass up and over them just like wooden stringers except maybe an extra layer or two of 1708. I have to imagine this would be plenty strong and the poly resin won't react with the urethane foam so you would end up with a woodless stringer and a little bit of free flotation to boot.

Just looking for opinions at this point but it seems like a decent idea in my head (but thats bitten me before).

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
I've been thinking about stringers lately and I'm interesting in trying to go down the road of woodless stringers. I know stingray has adopted this method and I'm sure other boat manufacturers have as well. Has anyone around here attempted it? My thought was to use the polyisocyanurate foam (rigid foam in the urethane family) that you can get at the home centers. These could be cut into stringers the same way wood would be and then PL glued in. Then you could fiberglass up and over them just like wooden stringers except maybe an extra layer or two of 1708. I have to imagine this would be plenty strong and the poly resin won't react with the urethane foam so you would end up with a woodless stringer and a little bit of free flotation to boot.

Just looking for opinions at this point but it seems like a decent idea in my head (but thats bitten me before).

JMHO

For the price of the foam vs wood I would go with wood. Is their a reason behind not using the wood in your stringers? If its to prevent rot, following all the guys advice on here you won't have to worry about it for another 50ish years.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can go wood free, it just costs more and is slightly more complicated.

​Since foam is just a shape with no added strength, you need to increase the laminate to take 100% of the load, if you do the same thing with wood then it doesn't matter if it rots away in 30 years. The side affect of using a bit more glass is that you are now protecting the wood somewhat better, so there is even less chance it will rot.

​Personally I like hollow stringers with many limber holes better, nothing to rot or absorb water, and any water that does find it's way down there can't do any harm as it freely flows out to a place where it can be removed.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
SHSU, I think there would be a couple benefits like extra flotation, lighter weight, easy to cut, etc... but the main reason is nothing to rot. However, to your point, it probably will never rot if I do it correctly. Plus, I already bought western red cedar to make the stringers which is pretty rot resistant anyways. So I'll probably just stick with them. It was just really an idea I was putting out there.

ondarvr, to make hollow stringers, do you just make a wood or foam stringer to final shape and then cover it in mold release to pop it out when your done, then PB it in to the boat?

SHSU

I think we all are victims of our ideas, I know I am. LOL. Either way you do it, I am sure it will be better than factory so it will be up to you to decide which one you want to take on.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
SHSU, I think there would be a couple benefits like extra flotation, lighter weight, easy to cut, etc... but the main reason is nothing to rot. However, to your point, it probably will never rot if I do it correctly. Plus, I already bought western red cedar to make the stringers which is pretty rot resistant anyways. So I'll probably just stick with them. It was just really an idea I was putting out there.

ondarvr, to make hollow stringers, do you just make a wood or foam stringer to final shape and then cover it in mold release to pop it out when your done, then PB it in to the boat?

​Yes, use a wood shape as a mold to form the stringers, a 2"x12" works well, and pop them off the mold, then trim the bottom edge to follow the hull shape and glass in place. The stringer shape made on the mold can be thin and light so it's easy to handle and cut, when it's glassed into the hull is when you add more glass.

​Western red cedar is a rather weak wood, plus the oils in it can make it hard for resin to bond to it, this doesn't really matter much though when used as a stringer.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards doing what you suggest and making hollow stringers. It seems like it would be fairly simple to do.
How many layers of glass do you use on the form? I'm assuming like 1 or 2 layers of 1708 and then tab it in like normal once in the boat?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
One layer is plenty, but if the sections are long you may need to use two layers just so they're strong enough to handle.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

Well folks... My brother-in-laws wedding was this past weekend and everything went perfectly... and that means I'm now done working on the blanket chest gift I made them and now I can get back to work on the boat... Its been over 2 weeks since I've done anything on it. I'm itching to get itchy and start grinding... Still need to get the transom cut out as well but hoping to get back on it this week.

Just a side note.. heres a picture of what I made the new bride and groom... I think it turned out pretty well.

Attachments

• photo267471.jpg
    photo267471.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 10

Bktech

Recruit
Tagging along also, I have the same boat that also needs the same work done. Think I'm going to try to do it this winter. Looks like yours has a bench seat in the rear, any chance you have anymore photos? I want to change over to bench seat with captains chairs.

SHSU

Just a side note.. heres a picture of what I made the new bride and groom... I think it turned out pretty well.

Now that is a nice piece of furniture. You finish with lacquer or poly?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Well folks... My brother-in-laws wedding was this past weekend and everything went perfectly... and that means I'm now done working on the blanket chest gift I made them and now I can get back to work on the boat... Its been over 2 weeks since I've done anything on it. I'm itching to get itchy and start grinding... Still need to get the transom cut out as well but hoping to get back on it this week.

​Nice, chest, you are a good craftsman, I'm hoping to get that good!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Tagging along also, I have the same boat that also needs the same work done. Think I'm going to try to do it this winter. Looks like yours has a bench seat in the rear, any chance you have anymore photos? I want to change over to bench seat with captains chairs.

Bktech - here is a link to all the pictures I've taken so far of the demo... They are in my google drive - let me know if this link works
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4sOXQ6XxSjvcThrNmpkRlQ1U1U

Now that is a nice piece of furniture. You finish with lacquer or poly?

In this case I ended up doing 3 quotes of dewaxed blonde shellac since I was in such a hurry and finished up with 3 more coats of wipe on poly.

​Nice, chest, you are a good craftsman, I'm hoping to get that good!

Thank you, but trust me, there are plenty of screw ups, I'm just hoping I'm the only one that sees them.

SHSU

Thank you, but trust me, there are plenty of screw ups, I'm just hoping I'm the only one that sees them.

That is with any project, we are always our own greatest critiques!!! Either way, that is one beautiful piece of furniture.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Well, I was hoping to have worked more on the boat in the last couple weeks, but as life goes, it just didn't happen... tonight I got in a good 45 min to an hour of grinding... my first session. I gotta be honest, minus the 10 lbs of water weight I lost in sweat in my tyvek suit, I actually kinda enjoyed it... since I was we'll prepared I'm not itchy at all and it feels good to start to see a clean slate of a hull... but I definitely have a ways to go!