96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

chevymaher

Commander
Good to see you back.

I talked to US Composits recently their tech line. Asking questions. Unless it has been exposed to oily residue you don't need to do anything. Kerosone heaters leave a oily soot. Then just wipe it down and wait at least a 1/2 hour for it to dry.

I vacuumed mine and just used a wet towel to clean it for mud after sitting all winter. Getting in and out fooling with it. I checked it last night. It cured and it was fine.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Nice! Thanks Chev, I didn't even think to call US Composites... Looks like a good vacuum and wipe down with acetone should do it then.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Snuck out of work a little early today... got down 1708 strips on all the seams and 2 layers of csm over the whole deck except the aft port corner cuz I finally used up all my csm.... gahhhhhh .. gonna have to order just a little more.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Not much progress since the last update but I did get more csm on order as well as 10oz cloth for the final layer on the floor.
while I'm waiting on that to arrive I started building a wooden over head gantry to lift the motor in and out of the boat. . When I originally took it out, I borrowed a hoist from a neighbor but it was super sketchy. . This will be much better since I will have to take the engine in and out a couple times to line up the mounts....

Attachments

• photo288671.jpg
    photo288671.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 7

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Quick update and a quick question. Update is that the wooden gantry is together and in place with the motor sitting under it... I need to go grab my chain hoist back from my buddy so i can test it out.

In the mean time, I just received a shipment from US Composites of some more 1.5 CSM for the seat boxes and the last little spot on the deck as well as 10OZ cloth to finish off the deck.

My question is this... once the cloth is down, I would like to make up some fairing compound with resin, glass bubbles, and a little cabosil. Are the glass bubbles sufficient to make it sandable, or do I also need to put wax in each coat to fully cure it to sand?

I'm going thru the trouble because I would like to smooth out the deck as much as possible since I don't plan on putting down carpet. Its probably overkill but I only really get one shot at it. No disrespect to friscoboater, but I remember watching his video where he gelcoated the deck on the searay and thinking how visible all the variations became. I will be putting nonskid down which will help, but I'd still like to smooth it a bit.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
You need to add the wax to make it sandable. If you don’t, your sandpaper will be totally gummed up in a few passes. Add the surfacing wax at the same ratio you would a final gel coat.

Hope the gantry works well. I did the same exact thing in my build lifting my 4.3. Worked like a champ.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Thats what I figured.. Its not a big deal, I just feel like your losing that chemical bond on subsequent layers, but its not structural anyways so shouldn't really matter.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Last night I was able to get out and coat one side of a full sheet of MDO with resin and 1.5oz CSM. I plan to fully coat both sides of two sheets. That way when I cut the pieces I need out of it, they are already ready to go. I will just need to coat the edges with resin and drop them in. Plus theres essentially no waste when I unroll the CSM onto the plywood, no weird cutting required.

Just a side note, I plan to continue posting updates here, however, I decided to start documenting my build on Youtube. So head on over and check out my first video! Plenty more to come, just wanted to give a first video to overview whats going on.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Good weekend! Got the sheets of MDO covered with resin and CSM and ready for that next step.
I also got in the bilge and ground out some sharp spots and loose stuff. Then I put down 3 coats of gel on the transom and back of the bilge so I can get the transom assembly bolted up for good. It looks super nice with the gelcoat, I can't wait to get the whole thing coated.

Just a snapshot from my videos below.

I will have another video uploaded to the youtube channel in a couple days! Up to 11 views on the first one! lol

And no, those aren't air bubbles, I had to go back and add a little more resin cuz it wasn't fully wetted out.

Attachments

• photo289941.jpg
    photo289941.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 9

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
For your sun pad you can do a walk path like they do on newer boats. Cover it with GatorStep or Sea Deck, or Aqua marine.

Attachments

• photo289950.jpg
    photo289950.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 6

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Yea, I had that thought but I wasn't sure it would be very comfortable to lay across the sundeck with a walkway down the middle, but now that I say it, I don't think I've ever layed across my sundeck lol. I like the idea of that, plus it would be pretty easy to replicate on my current seat design.

Sooo...

Episode 2 is up on my youtube channel. I went over glassing the plywood and prepping my transom for gelcoat.

Progress! I actually tried mounting my transom assembly yesterday with an epic fail, the bolts were WAY too tight so I went back and drilled them out to 9/16ths and re-gelcoated the holes... Time permitting I'll try again maybe tomorrow... too much going on tonight.

Last edited:

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Question for all you upholstery junkies lol.. just picked up new vinyl from jo Ann for under 7/yd... not sure where in the timeline the re upholstery is but can anyone recommend a good thread? . I'll be using a home machine but it can do up to v69 thread. . I know sail rite is good stuff but just looking for any other suggestions.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Man, I can't win with this weather... Been raining everyday here, and its really making me wish I had a garage lol. I'm pretty much at a stand still until I get a decent evening after work to do anything.

I'm getting anxious seeing other people getting stuff done lol

Good thing my name isn't Noah cuz I didn't finish the boat before the rains!

chevymaher

Commander
Question for all you upholstery junkies lol.. just picked up new vinyl from jo Ann for under 7/yd... not sure where in the timeline the re upholstery is but can anyone recommend a good thread? . I'll be using a home machine but it can do up to v69 thread. . I know sail rite is good stuff but just looking for any other suggestions.

Wal mart in the fabric dept. They have upholstery thread. I looked it is the same as what JoAnns sold me for doing my interior.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I came from Md originally so i have lots of friends on facebook from there, the water in the tributaries is brown :(