1993 Ski Centurion Restoration

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update: So a number of years ago, I was on a buying spree, buying up boat stuff that I knew or thought that I'd need. During that time, I aquired a used Skylon with Wakeboard rack, and a Barefoot International Boom. The good thing with used is, the price is right, and you can sometimes get things that are no longer available. Like that wakeboard rack. The downside is that fitting items that have been used on another boat, can add some additional challenges.

This gear that I purchased is in better than average condition. Definitely not new though. That means that it's got normal wear and tear on it, but also, there's been repairs and modifications to certain parts in order to make them work for the their previous owner.

To utilize the Skylon and board rack, I would first need a hole in my bimini top, to allow the pole to pass through. At the end of last season, I finally loaded up my bimini top and took it to a local upholstry guy and had him cut the hole, trim it up, and put a flap over it.

I had attempted to fit the sklyon before and the previous owner's boat must've been shorter to the bow of the nose. That meant that I'd need to replace the strap in the ratchet strap to cover a longer distance. To do so, I re-purposed half of a strap from a standard Lowe's type ratchet strap. I had to get the strap seperated from it's hook and that took some time and a few saw blades. Once I had that I was well on my way. Yesterday I set it all up in the drive way to see how it'll work.

Pic below.

Attachments

• photo329064.jpg
    photo329064.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 10
  • photo329065.jpg
    photo329065.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 10
  • photo329066.jpg
    photo329066.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 10
  • photo329067.jpg
    photo329067.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 10

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks! I went to rig up my new-to-me barefoot boom, and I need a new part for it. I'll probably order that today...along with a new pair of wakeboard boots for that board in the picture...for my son.

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Always the case with "new to me" but if the price is right, as it usually is, a part or two is worth it.

Break Out Another Thousand is the truest name for a BOAT that I know of. Although there is nothing quite like being out on the water, so worth every penny.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
yeah, I either need one of these two items in the pics. Obviously, not the pylon, but the bracket to the right.

Attachments

• photo329145.jpg
    photo329145.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo329146.jpg
    photo329146.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 2

ACon977

Hmm yea without the attachment to the Pylon you're pretty SOL.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hmm yea without the attachment to the Pylon you're pretty SOL.

I have the attachment, but what I need to do is raise the contact point so the boom can be used level. I need the adjustability of having multi-attachment points.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
yeah, I either need one of these two items in the pics. Obviously, not the pylon, but the bracket to the right.

So, my cousin had the item on the left just sitting in his garage. So he mailed it to me, but it's missing the pin. I ordered a replacement pin and maybe it'll be here tomorrow. We'll see. I could be going to the lake this weekend with my boom operational.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
FedEx guy just dropped the pin off. I might go try to fit the boom now to see what other challenges I might have. I know that I'm going to be teaching some kids and adults in the next few weeks and having a boom makes all the difference in the world. Plus I'm might just barefoot a bit and teach some others to do the same.

I need a barefoot suit now...adult size medium...hmmmmm. :)

ACon977

having them close enough to talk to them while they go is a huge bonus. having the stability of the boom is also great for getting your balance.

I have a medium barefoot suit but am hoping to be using it myself lol ive typically had Eagle suits in the past. I used to have the standard leg, but have since switched to the 3/4 leg suits when I was in college for jumping and was surprised by how much more I liked it. They still keep water out without those straps that cut off circulation to your thighs

this is what mine looks like. found a real old picture with some real bad form. but was struggling to find 3/4 leg suits online. I guess they dont make them anymore.
bRvUqDKzAvbQP-gHtJyEW4cVAShHP06AVTwBxtDZe5BKToAkwmu_H7cAIK6BOwX-8wcXg4b4HSekUYU53my1gPeYe00du4s7ST93ocJxNkrc54Y6aLjnFIr3cpiE4uR6fIBk0Pgni99cYDRzE8F1vyG5lC_hgBJzm6UEtiIqIVj6B082bxKL2lAuhfr0bj1ABh0UZc-iLz3B_0pp3Pl4d4iL_vCaxXqjqLSeYvNlEpOQqRtHjhvJvEk-WvvApCfH3A-Y_XQLXvaXfyhu7wwN1hlZ4y2SZDf4cVuUMp8ZdVyNLtsP-Bn7yEdJ7DDHItQKKlo9cMDL1BdeFUQtcBetWRP_AIcyOF-aukBO44zLIT8eg8Sxvi5yFWdOo_iMMuLQnLX9bgF_3ksYrMuKCGeTVUjHARNvLZ7R1DZiljmCNHlgHG11QoJayouaN5WCyL19pVUDfCaxQtEMzPhoEX0677KYw9j8M0ZezaiaR3THXKLwa7UzFCcd_-t7N7kZrlbc9-z2sE1isLW1mQ3eL5kYCt_RosWp7JpckQtAyW8kHTjinYuLy4FmgOiSk5CgDsMI4gHvaquCCN_TqvTLqhRuEQ1YZ4kjEmrTqT8JtoIKalGaeJjv1uaZqbA7hrm9tOOU8LChQvrLiyDewbQxtXfLFKQXwmCV-tHra4uXuO9pYI7MyHYBM6ADDiiJlbFJXw=w1583-h1058-no

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think I'm allowed to update my own thread. So hear goes. My last post up there was in mid-May and we were ready to get on the water to start the season here. Unfortunately, I had had my marina do an impeller swap as part of the winterization and they totally screwed it all up. I just can't trust their techs to do quality work at all. Long story short, a huge ordeal ensued. They hooked up the raw water hose backwards, to the wrong side of the impeller housing and the boat didn't draw any water. Impeller burnt up on the ramp, engine overheated even though the gauge never read over 195 degrees. The plastic cooling line elbows melted.

I then started the process of trying to get the marina to make it right all the while knowing that they would do the absolute bare minimum of work and that work would be shoddy. My predictions proved to be accurate. They replaced a bunch of parts and told me my boat was running. I drove it for about 5 minutes and then decided to tear into it myself. I found water when I pulled the back to plugs on the starboard side.

Ultimately, I ended up taking it to a different marina that happened to have an engine builder who specialized in small block Chevy engines. He tore into it and found a blown head gasket, and more water in the cylinders. Needless to say, I lost my entire boating season from this. We're near to having it back together. Save for one thing. I had been given a set of Mastercraft aluminum exhaust risers and we decided to incorporate those into our re-build. They're on the boat now, but the stock exhaust turn downs that mate up to them won't work in my engine box compartment, so I'm off to have a set fabricated. This is the last hurdle to get this thing back running.

I am excited to get it back going since we upgraded to a set of Vortec heads from the old stock non-vortec mercruiser heads. Hoping to have a trouble free season this year. Cheers!

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,

So my saga is about to be over and I'll have my boat back in the driveway and lake read. In the pictures that I'm going to attach you'll see the ripped up impeller, than ran in a dry, cracked housing, that caused all of my issues. Plus you'll see the fab work that was done to the exhaust turn downs to get everything to mate up.

The good news is...the engine work is completed and the boat has been water tested. I could have it back as soon as Saturday. Then, I just have to do a couple of things to be lake ready. Yeah!

Attachments

• IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1286.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg