Floor Restoration - Older Boat

tdhopkin

Cadet
Hey guys, I've been looking around quite heavily for how to do the floor of my boat, but I can't seem to find one that has a similar set-up to mine. I'm not 100% sure right now, but I believe that it is an older (late 70s?) Starcraft. When I took the old flooring out, it was in one piece. However, based on the size, I will have to segment it. I am just not exactly sure what would be the best set-up. In the attached pictures, the two aluminum supports are very loose. The old floor was riveted into those brackets, as well as the edges of the ribbing. I was hoping it would be possible to add different supports, in just not sure if I should go wood, aluminum, or none at all. The main reason is because the seat mounts attatch directly to the plywood, and the current support system was unable to hold the brackets down well enough (and, therefore, there was a lot of flex/leaning/etc on the seats, which both damaged the seat itself and the floor. I was going to go either 1/2" or 3/4" plywood (although I'm slightly confused as to what to look for - besides exterior grade), but was leaning 1/2" for weight purposes. The plan was to cut out the holes required and epoxy it. After that, I was wondering if there was anything similar to a box liner that I could use successfully (I.e.: a rough, abrasive rubber-type spray?). Lastly, I was hoping to check for leaks and was not sure what would be the best way to replace/repair leaky rivets. My plan currently was to braze aluminum using a torch to simply cover up/plug the rivets. I'm not too concerned about the looks and I don't think there are too many leaky rivets. I've looked around and everything just seems slightly different enough from what I want to do that I have doubts. Hopefully I can get pointed in the right direction. This is my first ever attempt at a rebuild! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo264109.JPG
    photo264109.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo264110.JPG
    photo264110.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo264111.JPG
    photo264111.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Look around, lots of great info in here
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/starcraft-boats

Its extremely unlikley the boat came w pedestal seats originally, and whoever added them, didnt do a very good job on the install. Hence the deck and seat damage

1/2 or 5/8 exterior ACX ply will be suffucient as a deck (floor) and beneath the pedestals add a doubler, double thick layer of ply.

The central aluminum Z channel stringer, when well riveted to the ribs will be sufficient as well.

Rotten deck contributed to the stringer being loose...