Sea Nymph GLS 195 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well today I began pulling the flooring on the sea nymph. Had a little spare time today and figured it was time to start the project. Floor was shot which I already knew. Some of the foam was wet, some wasnt so far. I pulled most everything behind the windshield and in front of the splashwell. Nothing too concerning showed up besides one support was cracked at the tip. Also something i havent seen on the forums from other peoples tear downs was these aluminum plates what were below the wood on top of the cross supports. They were under where the front seats went. Not sure if these should go back in when the new flooring goes in or not. The front seats are pedestal seats with no holes needing drilled. I got lucky with this part of the foam. I could just grab it and pull it out. As always, pics...

The foam filling holes...

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Only did a little bit today. Just wanted to see what I was up for. Weather is very unpredictable here, so not sure when ill get more done, hopefully sunday. I have monday and tuesday off work but its looking like rain/snow both of those days unfortunately.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I think you should ask a Mod to combine your two threads. It'll make it easier for the members to follow along.;)

jbcurt00

Staff member
As only the last couple posts in the other topic were specific to boat rebuilding, rather then shopping for parts, he asked together or seperate, and I told him, his choice.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can anyone tell me how this windshield​ comes off? Looking under the consoles you can see 3 sheet metal screws coming out of the front of the windshield. I'm guessing I have to pull the rubber piece out of the windshield but I'm not sure. I can take more pictures if needed, just let me know. Any guesses?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Watermann redid a similar Sea Nymph.

IIRC, yep, rubber trim piece comes out. Be careful w it, you'll want to put it back in...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
My SN didn't have the windshield but I would say that those screws are machine screws not sheet metal and they go into a type of T nut that sits in the channel to hold the frame in place on the console. Have you tried turning out the screws yet?

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
My SN didn't have the windshield but I would say that those screws are machine screws not sheet metal and they go into a type of T nut that sits in the channel to hold the frame in place on the console. Have you tried turning out the screws yet?

There is no way to turn the screws except with a pair of vice grips. Here's what I'm talking about.

Also, how does that rubber piece come out? There's rivets holding the windshield together, do I have to remove them?

Watermann

Oh man, I assumed they went the other way! Yeah that's not a very good way to attach a windshield. It does look as though you'll have to remove the vinyl strip to get at the heads just be careful not to ruin it.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh man, I assumed they went the other way! Yeah that's not a very good way to attach a windshield. It does look as though you'll have to remove the vinyl strip to get at the heads just be careful not to ruin it.

Does this mean the windshield has been taken off before? I'd like to figure out what's factory on this boat and what's not, or what's been touched at least, just so I know. Also, how does that vinyl/rubber strip come out? It doesn't look like it will come out without taking the window frame apart.

Watermann

Do the ends of the vinyl strip go underneath the frame sides? It doesn't look like the windshield has been removed before in the pics I see. I'm just used to seeing startcraft windshields fastened down with t bolts with washers and nuts.

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep, phillips head screws under that rubber trim. On my SFM that trim is a foam rubber made by taylormade.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
More progress today, only a couple hours...Sucks working weekends :( But I have tomorrow and tuesday off.

First was getting the front deck disassembled... warning, pic heavy. Just want reference pics for myself and for anyone else who may be doing it, since I dont see many GLS 195 restos on the forum.

Top decking off showing framework

Middle piece and side supports off, showing knee brace, assuming for seat support?

Lid off

Frame off

Carpet pulled up, odd piece of aluminum underneath, most of the rivets were popped on this. May not reinstall.

Aluminum piece off

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Different angle, showing the wood extending past the "firewall" as im going to call it.

Firewall was screwed down by non-stainless or aluminum screws. I assume factory, but idk why they would skimp out here, talk about rusty, took all but two of them out by hand.

So I figured out how to get the windows off. Was fairly easy...Just took a knife with a fine point (Old timer double blade muskrat knife) and pryed a little on the plastic to pull it up enough to get a screwdriver underneath of it, then pryed the rest of the way off.

Heres where im sitting now, hope to tackle the consoles next couple days. Also take the remainder of the wood out and the styrofoam. If I have time, start tackling the splashwell.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Quick question- whats the best way to remove solid rivets? The consoles have a few solid rivets holding them to the firewall, as well as the hull.

Great nymph

Cadet
I just drilled them out the rivets when you do the splash well let me know I will show you how I did mine, it's a little easier then pulling it once I learn how to post pics it will be easier to communicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.