Sea Nymph GLS 195 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not only a bad design, it looks like they work hardened the aluminum with the bending process. It could not handle any flexing.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ive been looking at other GLS hulls, I cant find one with the livewell placed where mine is. Really starting to wonder about it. Only one of the ribs under the gas tank is cracked, luckily the gas tank has a tub and supports. But all the ribs have the weird "crease" in the middle.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Wow yeah there's no room and what a bad design is right. Was there any padding between the rubs and the bottom of the tank?

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow yeah there's no room and what a bad design is right. Was there any padding between the rubs and the bottom of the tank?
Somehow missed your post, been busy as well. No, there was no padding under the livewell. Still been trying to think of the best way to fix it. Also been wondering if it would be worth it to just take it to a welder?

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was able to work on it for about 45mins this morning. My big hold-up has been this splashwell. Finally got it figured out this morning and made progress. I had to take the front cap off and slide the rubber rub rail forward about 4ft. This revealed screws holding the aluminum part of the rub rail to the side of the boat. Took the screws off and pulled the rail out a bit. This revealed rivets on top of the splashwell, holding the piece in that I was trying to get off. Remove those rivets and finally it's free! Removing this piece showed me I had some ants living onboard lol. As always a couple pics...

Those black dots are ants

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not much to post as I've been busy with work and other things. But have had some time in the mornings to work on it a bit. Got a little more of the splashwell off and the port side foam mostly out. I have some time this week to work on it so should be able to make some progress. Hope to have the splashwell off by end of Monday. Also found my resident colony of ants lol

Watermann

Mother nature takes advantage of any niche. The worst are wasps, yellow jackets or hornets when they take up residency, they don't take kindly to eviction.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mother nature takes advantage of any niche. The worst are wasps, yellow jackets or hornets when they take up residency, they don't take kindly to eviction.

I'm hoping they didn't find their way to the transom

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Todays theme- ants and more ANTS! Mustve killed a thousand in the foam under the splashwell. Also found a mouse mansion :lol: Bad news is it looks like the ants may have gotten to the transom, or at least part of it. There was an open hole in the aluminum that they couldve gotten in. So transom will be pulled and replaced :blue:Only one more piece left to remove and the splashwell is off. I have tomorrow off, plan is to finish removing the last of the splashwell and remove the two rotted floor pieces from under the splashwell. After that its on to cleaning the hull. Epoxy, rivets, and a hoist have been ordered along with some other things for later. Hoist should be here wednesday so motor off and transom out by end of the week-fingers crossed. Pics-

Part of mouse nest in SB side

Showing the cardboard tube that goes around the steering cable and control cables.

Where part of the mouse nest was with some ants (SB side), looked like swiss cheese

Underneath, pic for reference later

Onto Port side, looked like some critters got into the fill tube, was also very wet in this area.

Disturbing the ant nest

Ants looked like they were coming from this bolt but after cleaning it up a bit, not sure

Just a reference pic, so far the knee brace looks solid

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Good thing you're getting all that wild life out. Your boat is kind of like a Noah's Ark!!!

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not much to post today. I started pulled the screws out of the last piece of the splashwell that were through the transom- I got to the last two in the center and realized I had to pull the motor to get those last two. So thats not coming off till later this week, kinda bummed me out. Wanted that piece out to access the last of the styrofoam and wood easier. Anyways I kept trucking on and got the last two pieces of wood out and the styrofoam. Both were soaking wet and had more ants in them. The SB side bottom corner of the transom had a bunch of ants by it. Will be interesting when the transom comes out. I cleaned some of the styrofoam off the sides of the boat that was stuck on good with a puddy knife, worked good. Then decided that since there wasnt much to do until the motor comes off it would be a good time to build a motor stand, so I did just that. Followed the motor stand topic here for the most part. Made mine a littler taller since my motor is bigger and made the surface area where the motor bracket sits taller as well. Wont be much to post until the motor comes off. Oh, also ordered rivets today.

Heres how she sits.

Motor stand

Ill be putting more screws in later on, just noticed i forgot to do that.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got a couple questions-

The splashwell seams were sealed with a sort of silicone type sealant from the factory. What would be good to use to re-seal them when I put it back together? Would 5200 work? It would be painted over as well.

2nd- The two pieces of wood underneath the splashwell were not carpeted at all. Would it matter to carpet them or not when I put them back in?

Also, what would be the best way to clean the hull of all the grime? Will a powerwash suffice or should I use some sort of cleaning product? I was thinking an engine degreaser but it would probably take 10 cans or more to do it.

Last edited:

Watermann

I used 5200 to seal the SW on my SS.

Only one thing I use now around my garage for degreasing and cleaning.

3ccde994-866c-41a5-8452-57c6d1e1bd9d_1.e93d5d12ea55d6ee3aaab6714328e654.jpeg

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used 5200 to seal the SW on my SS.

Only one thing I use now around my garage for degreasing and cleaning.

3ccde994-866c-41a5-8452-57c6d1e1bd9d_1.e93d5d12ea55d6ee3aaab6714328e654.jpeg

This may seem like a dumb question but with that do you just let it soak and spray it out or do you scrub after applying?

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Someone11, nice boat! SN did some weird things with their boats and I'm convinced that they "customized" some of their vessels as customer's requested. I too found weird designs on mine that did not exist on other SN boats.

As far as the cleaning goes I used this product. Simply spray on, let sit for 5-10 minutes and in some cases just spray off, other tuff spots a little scrubbing was needed, but it was very effective!

Frey
ZU50532_NEW2.jpg

Watermann

Yeah nothing is scrub free except on their commercials :lol: if you want something to be spotless you have to go at it with a scrub brush too but the superclean will tear into any grease making it easier to scrub clean. On my Chief the bilge was absolutely a disaster with decades old dirt crusted greasy oil layer in some places a 1/2" thick. I presoaked it with superclean, then added more and a pail of hot water, let soak and then pressure washed it and the stuff came loose nicely.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Someone11, nice boat! SN did some weird things with their boats and I'm convinced that they "customized" some of their vessels as customer's requested. I too found weird designs on mine that did not exist on other SN boats.

As far as the cleaning goes I used this product. Simply spray on, let sit for 5-10 minutes and in some cases just spray off, other tuff spots a little scrubbing was needed, but it was very effective!

Frey
ZU50532_NEW2.jpg

I feel like thats how my boat is, custom ordered lol A lot of things on here I havent found in other GLS boats.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nothing much to post today. Got the block and tackle mounted and ready to pull the motor off. My motor doesnt have a lift hook so you have to use the 3 bolt holes on the flywheel to pull it. Well the flywheel puller I ordered didnt have the right bolts for my flywheel. Had to run to 3 different stores to find grade 8 5/16-24 (fine thread) bolts. So either tomorrow or friday the motor should be off and possibly the transom.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Quick update, motor is off and transom if out. My suspicions were right- ants in the transom. Not too bad but they took over starboard side of the transom. Good news is the transom is whole, just wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.