Sea Nymph GLS 195 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boat is a little different then yours I have a live well right in front of consoles.

Strange, you may have saw but mine is in between the two consoles. I've noticed most sea nymphs in this time period have bench like seating up front, mine doesn't. Wonder if it was an option or someone changed mine.

Great nymph

Cadet
I have storage there with a lit and in front of the live well I have another storage where you had that piece of aluminum I had plywood on mine. Are you going to replace the and with what I haven't pulsed the foam on my boat yet it looks good.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I usually just drill out the head of the rivets. Use a 3/16th bit. I bought these bits in 3/16ths and 5/32nds the 2 most common size of rivets and have not been able to break them or wear them out through 2 restos. Cheap bits without the pilot point make life way more difficult when drilling out rivets or AL period.

2b5f9c0f-7d87-4761-9114-c151c083b5ee_1000.jpg

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have storage there with a lit and in front of the live well I have another storage where you had that piece of aluminum I had plywood on mine. Are you going to replace the and with what I haven't pulsed the foam on my boat yet it looks good.

Not sure what you are talking about replacing? As far as the aluminum piece that sat on the ribs in the front. I think what I will do is put foam underneath of it as support and put it back in. Theres no easy way to secure wood in that area. Question for you Great Nymph- Does the motor have to come off to remove the splashwell?

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I usually just drill out the head of the rivets. Use a 3/16th bit. I bought these bits in 3/16ths and 5/32nds the 2 most common size of rivets and have not been able to break them or wear them out through 2 restos. Cheap bits without the pilot point make life way more difficult when drilling out rivets or AL period.

2b5f9c0f-7d87-4761-9114-c151c083b5ee_1000.jpg

I actually have very similar bits. I dont know for sure if they are titanium but they do have that pilot point. I love mine!

Great nymph

Cadet
No not really unless you are going to replace transom but I am pretty sure you can pull it without pulling engine my transom was wood dust so make sure and check that real good.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
No not really unless you are going to replace transom but I am pretty sure you can pull it without pulling engine my transom was wood dust so make sure and check that real good.

Awesome that's what I wanted to hear. I want to wait to pull the motor. I want to pull the splashwell off so I can check the transom. Figure it'll be easier that way as the transom is hard to get to due to the massive splashwell lol. Also I don't have a way to get the motor off as of now. If it needs to come off I'll be ordering a chain fall and using the rafters to hold it to get the motor off. Not ideal but it's the only option I have.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gotta love it when the box from harbor freight shows up! Should make life easier. Pancake compressor showed up on Friday.

Watermann

Oh yeah we all love our toys, err I mean tools :lol:

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not much progress yesterday. Ended up going on a stocking run with the hatchery, helped them stock a few thousand brook trout in some UP streams.

I still cant figure out if this framing in the front is from factory or not. Seems to be a poor design as most of the rivets were pulled out. Anyways- Pictures as always.

Used ratchet straps to pull the consoles up off the floor so I dont have to remove them. Worked out well, was able to get the piece of wood out from underneath them.

Noticed some writing on one of the pieces- well thats reassuring :facepalm:

Also, this is the weather this morning, low 30's and snow :grumpy:

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I just pulled the livewell out. Looks like most of the ribs are cracked in the middle. Whats the best way to repair these without access to a welder? The front one is the worst, the other ones arent nearly as bad.

Watermann

My SN had some cracked ribs too and I splinted them rather than welding. Your's is a bit more challenging being they're cracked in the center of the bend. At the time I didn't have the ability to use solid rivets so I used ss machine screws and nylocs with plenty of 5200 to seal the deal. The splints are 1/4" AL stock that's 1/2" wide. I figured that the stock would give/flex with the ribs and hull so as to not be so prone to cracking again which is what would happen if they were welded. The AL stock is bedded in marine epoxy and then tightened down.

Clean up the area real well and post some more pics.

Here's what my rib repairs look like and since 2013 the repairs have held up just fine.

IMAG0283.jpg

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
My SN had some cracked ribs too and I splinted them rather than welding. Your's is a bit more challenging being they're cracked in the center of the bend. At the time I didn't have the ability to use solid rivets so I used ss machine screws and nylocs with plenty of 5200 to seal the deal. The splints are 1/4" AL stock that's 1/2" wide. I figured that the stock would give/flex with the ribs and hull so as to not be so prone to cracking again which is what would happen if they were welded. The AL stock is bedded in marine epoxy and then tightened down.

Clean up the area real well and post some more pics.

Here's what my rib repairs look like and since 2013 the repairs have held up just fine.

IMAG0283.jpg

Thats kinda what I was thinking of doing. Except instead of putting the support pieces on the bottom, attach them to the side of the rib- one on each side. Think that would work?

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not much to post today. Doesnt look like I got a lot done but it was all time consuming- drilling rivets and scraping out some foam. But the livewell and gas tank/tank support are out. I worked on drilling some of the splashwell rivets out as well- really not looking forward to doing this still. Makes it twice as much work being by myself. Anyways- here she sits.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Wow, that was really a crappy way of "forming" the ribs. It's really no wonder they are all cracked. I'm not a tin guy, but is this normal in these boats? Seems to me it needs gussets for strength.

Watermann

Thats kinda what I was thinking of doing. Except instead of putting the support pieces on the bottom, attach them to the side of the rib- one on each side. Think that would work?

Your ribs are more squared off rather than round like mine so sides would work it's just bending the stock into place that would be a problem. Also you're creating more holes in the rib rather than using the existing holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.